Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stuttering; stammering

Options
  • 29-10-2009 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭

is there a difference between the two?

I always thought they were the same thing and that it is hereditary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

No difference between the two...just different areas of the world use the word "stuttering" (such as America)...while in say Ireland or the UK the word "stammering" seems to be used more!!!
    I'd say stammering is hereditary...a few on my da's side have a stammer...such as my granda, my da, his sister and brother...now I am a proud carrier of our family's stammering gene!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I heard the following definition years ago. A stammer is a stoppage that is difficult to move. A stutter is a movement that is difficult to stop. Essentially they have a lot in common, in that a PWS has difficulty in getting past the first phonetic sound of a syllable of a word.

My experience leads me to believe, that, the problem is not the stammer itself. The problem is the preceding blockage. A block leads to a choice of stammering past the blockage, or trying to unpick that part of the block that causes the fault, or indeed avoiding the block.

In stammering past the block, a PWS unconsciously is sending the same group of signals from the speech motor area of the brain, to activate the first phonetic sound of the offending syllable. After one or more attempts the fault is usually cleared.

Instead, if one choses to examine the actual block, one can ascertain where exactly the block is and just remedy that part. This can be done by practising the particular sound in private and noting - activation of the vocal chords, sufficient exhalation and the mouth shape required. Also any action of the lips or tongue to produce that initial sound. Takes a bit of practice, but essentially the sound can be built up from scratch by performing the fore-going actions.

I am happy to explain this further, if anyone wants clarification. I am not putting this forward as a cure, rather a possible alternative remedy. Any comments would be welcome. There is no ulterior motive either - just passing on my own experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 boredofblackroc

I heard the following definition years ago. A stammer is a stoppage that is difficult to move. A stutter is a movement that is difficult to stop. Essentially they have a lot in common, in that a PWS has difficulty in getting past the first phonetic sound of a syllable of a word.

My experience leads me to believe, that, the problem is not the stammer itself. The problem is the preceding blockage. A block leads to a choice of stammering past the blockage, or trying to unpick that part of the block that causes the fault, or indeed avoiding the block.

In stammering past the block, a PWS unconsciously is sending the same group of signals from the speech motor area of the brain, to activate the first phonetic sound of the offending syllable. After one or more attempts the fault is usually cleared.

Instead, if one choses to examine the actual block, one can ascertain where exactly the block is and just remedy that part. This can be done by practising the particular sound in private and noting - activation of the vocal chords, sufficient exhalation and the mouth shape required. Also any action of the lips or tongue to produce that initial sound. Takes a bit of practice, but essentially the sound can be built up from scratch by performing the fore-going actions.

I am happy to explain this further, if anyone wants clarification. I am not putting this forward as a cure, rather a possible alternative remedy. Any comments would be welcome. There is no ulterior motive either - just passing on my own experience.
    In your terms then, I used to have both a stutter and a stammer, but they have got much better over the years, with perhaps the stammer being the more trouble. Do you have experience in this area?

In your terms then, I used to have both a stutter and a stammer, but they have got much better over the years, with perhaps the stammer being the more trouble. Do you have experience in this area?

Hi, Thanks for your response. To illustrate perhaps I will just recount my own experience. When I was very young around 9 years of age, I had a stutter ie I would say eg T...T...T...Tommy. I didn't know I had a stutter until my pal's mother shouted at me to stop talking like that. She was afraid I think that her beloved "Philip" would catch the `dreaded disease`.

That was the day it all started, however due to being conscious of stuttering over the subsequent years it gradually changed into a stammer. I would describe it like the repetitive `T`s above being replaced by repetitive silent attempts to say `T'. In any event you know what a stammer is your self.

The unblocking I mention in the post is how I eventually overcame the problem, for me that was important. If you have any further questions I would be happy to answer them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 boredofblackroc

So can I ask how you overcame or dealt with this "block"?

• Advertisement

So can I ask how you overcame or dealt with this "block"?
    Hi,

Ok, lets look at a simple example - Your name is Bill and you have difficulty in saying it when asked in the presence of other people.

The first phonetic sound is the difficulty - when you get the "B" bit out the rest should follow.

So try it this way - Open your mouth and say "awh" then just pop your lips closed and open them. You should get the "B" sound.

Your approaching the problem in such a manner that the required sound has to come !!!

To summarise you are consciously carrying out all the moves to produce the sound you want. Each phonetic sound has its own mouth shape, tongue movement, lip movement etc. and can be practised.

And that is basically how I did it 25 years ago.

If you want further info - please ask - its no problem.

Advertisement