Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Gas - how much do you use?

• 29-10-2009 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi All

Might be a bit of an odd question but here goes.......how long do you guys get out of a cylinder of gas? (the standard size cylinder....13kg I think). I know that the above is kinda like asking how long is a piece of string but maybe I can give you some more info

We have traded in our van and upgraded :D
    Our old van had the option of running heating of both gas and electricity.....hence the need for some guidance

The gas on the new van is used to run both space and water heating (Truma heater), fridge and hob.
    Over the weekend, we were out for a couple of nights and the gas was used to run the heating and water heating only (water heating for a couple of showers......only used sparingly).

The heating was used a reasonable amount at night

I also noticed that one of the hob rings had min flame when lit.....I suspect that the jet is blocked

Over four nights, we used about half of the cylinder. This sounds a bit excessive and I wonder do I have a problem somewhere. There is no gas leak (well none that I could smell anyway) but I wonder does the boiler & heater need a good service?

Does half a cylinder sound excessive and if so, can anybody recommend a service engineer please? We are based in Wexford

Many thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Fridge, cooker and boiler aren't too bad ...but the heating really does eat into the gas.

I've had 2-3 nights/days worth of heating empty a 5kg gas bottle on me before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Doh....not what I wanted to hear :eek:

Well then the next question.....is it possible to convert the Truma gas heater to run off electricity as well......is there a bolt on component. The other option is to travel with a fan heater ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There may be a bolt-on component ...depending on the type of your heater. Best check the Truma website for that.

However, a little fan heater (Lidl had ones for 15 Euro recently) will be infinetly cheaper and easier.

(just remember that lots of continental campsites have limited ampage on their electricity grid ...putting on the kettle or indeed fan heater may plunge the whole campsite into darkness :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 irishmotorhome

I find that a 13.5kg Bottle last me about 4 weeks, using it for cooking water heating and a little heating, so that would sound high to me.
    Are you sure that the bottle was full and or is half full know.

One thing that really gets my goat is that ever country has different bottle connections so it always means a new regulator and then you are left note should what to do with the empty one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

another option would be to consider getting the gaslow refillable system installed. we did that with our van last year, we only have the smaller bottles and as we go to france for christmas we knew we wouldn't have enough gas in the two smaller bottles, i think they are 7kg each. anyway, we haven't looked back, just top them up as you go. there is a petrol station in wexford town that has the lpg on sale so it would be handy for you. another option is a small low wattage oil filled rad or as already mentioned a blow air heater. both of these options are great if you are on sites but no use if you are wild camping as you will need a generator or invertor to run them.

hope this of some use!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

yeah the heater likes it's gas... I too was surprised recently as I emptied a cylinder (full size) over a weekend .. It wasn't completely full beforehand but wa pretty new..

I left eh heat on overnight set to 20 and was snug as a bug if a bit costly..

what do most of ye do with your heaters when runnign on gas... I was thinking was I better blast it out and then turn it off and get inot bed quick ;)

Also while on the subject.. I have the German Grey Cylinders. Our local dealer charges 34euro for an exchange... I can get them filled in Tullow Co Carlow for 28 but not worth the trip unless I'm passing..

Any where better/cheaper

Advertisement