Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoked salmon with avocado

Options
  • 29-10-2009 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

I was planning a menu, and I thought of combining smoked salmon and avocado in my starter. I was unable to decide whether they would work well together, so I didn't try it.

For future reference, I submit the question to those here whose palates are more sophisticated than mine: would you combine them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They're both quite oily, so maybe not. I think avocado goes very well with prawns though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Lidl smoked salmon and avacado is fab, as the lidl smoked salmon is cooked first so its alot less oily, aldi do a version too. If you look for smoked cooked salmon its much less oily and perfect with avacado!!!

Enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would go for prawns with the avocado rather than the salmon. I find that they are a bit too oily together and that the salmon is a bit too overpowering for the avocado.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Thanks, people, for the comments.

I see no problem with prawns with either smoked salmon or avocado.

I'm not sure that oiliness is the problem with combining smoked salmon and avocado. I normally serve avocado with vinaigrette, which has plenty of oil in it. Last week, having rejected the idea of using avocado, I made parcels of smoked salmon filled with cream cheese and chives, which I think worked very well.

Just for the hell of it, and because I had it available, I put a couple of slices of avocado on each plate. People seemed to like the starter, but nobody put avocado and smoked salmon on the fork together; they ate one, then the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Thanks, people, for the comments.

I see no problem with prawns with either smoked salmon or avocado.

I'm not sure that oiliness is the problem with combining smoked salmon and avocado. I normally serve avocado with vinaigrette, which has plenty of oil in it. Last week, having rejected the idea of using avocado, I made parcels of smoked salmon filled with cream cheese and chives, which I think worked very well.

Just for the hell of it, and because I had it available, I put a couple of slices of avocado on each plate. People seemed to like the starter, but nobody put avocado and smoked salmon on the fork together; they ate one, then the other.

I use vinegrette & oil on avocado too - I think the vinegar cuts through it well. And the oil just adds a nice flavour. For me it's more about two substancial things going into my mouth with a similar texture. Interesting about the fork thing though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

olaola wrote: »
    ... Interesting about the fork thing though!

One reason why I thought about putting things on the fork together is something I noticed in watching Masterchef. The judges there seem always to seem to fill the fork with a bit of each component of a dish. Sometimes a good deal of skill is involved, almost as much as in preparing the dish. I generally don't eat like that, and I think most people don't. I might spear a bit of vegetable with a bit of meat or fish, and try to get some of the sauce with them. That's complicated enough for me. Typically I might have four vegetables on the plate, and can't see myself trying to make mini-kebabs for every mouthful. So if I have two things on the plate that don't work together on the palate, that's fine: I eat one, then the other, and I have other things on the plate to make the rotation interesting.

Advertisement