Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP install on netbook

Options
  • 29-10-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi

Just wondering if someone could give me some pointers. I'm trying to install XP on a netbook using a USB drive.. Ive done this loads before but not working for me now :(

The instructions that ive followed are

Open cmd with administrator privilege

Find the drive number of your USB Drive by typing the following into the Command Prompt window:

Format the Drive:

diskpart
    list disk

select disk 1
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=NTFS
    assign
    exit

Make Bootable USB drive:

bootsect /nt52 g:

(Im using bootsect exe from windows 7 installation cd)

Copy the installation DVD to the USB drive:

xcopy x:*.* /s/e/f y:

Set your BIOS to boot from USB:

Ive tried booting from the the USB but i get an error message:

"NTDLR is missing"

Im probably forgetting something very simple. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

doesnt seem like its trying to boot from the usb.

any chance u can test the install on the usb is working ok on another computer?

instead of changing the boot order, try pressing f11 or f12 to get to the boot menu and selecting the usb device to boot that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 maneatingcow

Thanks for the pointers man..

I tried what you suggested and another brand new USB disk too on two different computers and no progress. :(

Just a taught,
    is the Usb stick formatted as FAT, if so try NTFS.

Damn
    Just realized it is, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

on our netbook we had to use a external dvd drive. Didnt work from a external HD or usb stick. Bought one for 20 euro and it was sorted. we put windows 7 on now and it works great (easier for networking in the house)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Make Bootable USB drive:

bootsect /nt52 g:

(Im using bootsect exe from windows 7 installation cd)

Copy the installation DVD to the USB drive:

xcopy x:*.* /s/e/f y:

Set your BIOS to boot from USB:

Ive tried booting from the the USB but i get an error message:

"NTDLR is missing"

Im probably forgetting something very simple. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks a million
    Wait, your formatting the USB for an XP (NTDLR) Installation but copying over files from the Windows 7 DVD? That won't work.

If you want it to be bootable for Windows 7, you need to change just one thing - /nt52 G: is incorrect, it needs to be /nt60 G: to boot.

25679d1251414836-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record-mbr_09.png

NOTE:

NT52 is for older operating systems (XP, ME, 2K, 98, 95) and installs NTDLR (Master Boot Record).

NT60 is for newer operating systems (Vista, 7) and installs the new BOOTMGR (Boot Manager).

• Advertisement
Advertisement