Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are the English supporters returning to the days of Hooliganism???

• 29-10-2009 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

After the trouble at Barnsleys match against Man United in the Carling Cup, and earlier when West Ham and Millwall fans caused trouble, can anyone see English football returning to the way it was in the 80's. I know it'll never be that bad again, but is it slowly returning???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It never really went away. In the PL it has been well managed and is an example for other countries. However, consider trouble at CL games in recent years involved English clubs - and yes, I know other nation's club's supporters were involved too - so you know the hooligans are still there.

Much of the problem in the lower leagues is simply not reported, so you'd think it didn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I blame this on fad of 80s revivalism. Spandau Ballet, recession and now hooliganism.

Its never fully gone away of course, the West Ham/Millwall ruckus was almost inevitable, Man Utd v Barnsley may be a case of "posh kids trash paupers gaff"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

I never went away and will never go away and is getting bad again after the UEFA Cup final in Manchester two seasons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mates of mine who regularly travel over for games (MUFC / Villa / Liverpool / Leeds) have for years been telling me about violent incidents and clashes which take place outside grounds on match day and in the hours after matches - incidents which are never reported in any media because a) they didn't take place in the ground b) a conspiracy by the media/football to keep it quiet, caused by the symbiotic relationship between the two.

I've always wondered whether my mates are just serial exagerators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Rics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

manutd wrote: »
    I never went away and will never go away and is getting bad again after the UEFA Cup final in Manchester two seasons ago.

Someone call the police!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

manutd wrote: »

since when were Rangers English?

It is true that there is a lot of trouble that is not reported, but there is nowhere near the level of violence that there was in the 80s.

If you get 60,000 people going to a match, a lot of whom have been on the razz most of the day then you are bound to get the odd skirmish, that is not unique to football, the same would happen at an open air concert. going to a football match is stil a fairly safe thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

football violence will never go away its apart of the game which people need to get used to!!! The football firms still exist and some of which are big in numbers even ireland has big firms!!!!! The only differance between now and the eightys are that its more organised and happens away from grounds and involves like minded people fighting like minded people.

in saying that the violence in england has died down a bit as undercover police are all over the grounds now and they are infiltrating differant mobs, it doesnt help either that a convicted football thug in england could recieve up to five years in prison but still while theres an appetite there for violence it will continue!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes agree with the general idea that it wont go away.

But go to countries outside of England and I could name plenty of countries that have it much worse.

there is one big difference between england and some other countries and that is that in england if your looking for fight you get it but if you dont you wont, but you could be in other countries and if your just wearing the colours of firm club dont like then you get beat up no matter how quiet you are.

Advertisement