Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple, gaming.

Options
  • 29-10-2009 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Came accross this while searching for new and up and coming games to be realeased in the next year.
    It’s well known that games are a big seller in Apple’s app store, and you can see why. The question is whether Apple is going to be satisfied with getting a tiny slice of the gaming market. Some evidence is suggesting that there are larger ambitions out in Cupertino. But is it limited to games on the iPhone? Recent hiring and some recent patent applications suggest that Apple is working on a combination gaming console and media player — not simply additional capabilities in an iPhone or iPod, but an integrated approach never before seen.

http://industry.bnet.com/technology/10001595/is-apple-developing-a-game-and-media-console/

pretty interesting none the less

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I could see an Apple console being as successful as the last one. There's a huge difference between selling cheap games on the iPhone/iPod and competing with MS, Sony and Nintendo with a custom built console.

First of all I don't think they've the interest, if anything it'll be "casual" games that could be integrated into the likes of Apple TV -a product that they seem to forget exists every so often. Creating a console is a multi billion dollar gamble and the field is incredibly crowded as is. I'd wager what they're actually earning off iPhone games isn't that much.

My second major reason is that Apple has never been a company that's been good at playing nice or co-operating with others; crucial if you're launching a console, you've got to have a very good relationship with developers and publishers.

This is going back to my point on the type of games they'd offer, but given jobs hatred for buttons I'd find it hard to imagine him having Jon Ives working on a control pad for the likes of COD.

edit: I'd argue that the current crop of console are extremely well integrated regarding media and gaming. e.g netflix, Sky, Twitter, Media extender, Facebook.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pippin 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Before anyone disses "casual games" on the iPhone -- I'm a "hardcore" gamer.

In the last 2 weeks, I've gotten more playtime out of DDR & other music games on that platform than on my PS3.
    Simple games are addictive stuff.

Advertisement