Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired Gaming Reopening

Options
  • 29-10-2009 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Wired Gaming will be reopening, in the same premises, on November 10th.

I lost the member's database and so don't have the email addresses to let everyone know. Thankfully the mods have given me permission to announce it here.

For more information check out http://www.wiredgaming.eu (wiredireland.com still works too :) ).

Just so there's no confusion, this is a new business and, besides myself, the same people are not involved.

We are, of course, very excited about being back.

Thanks guys,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Best of luck with the new business.

Were you involved with the 'old' business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭RabidDog

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new business.

Were you involved with the 'old' business?

Yeah, I was. My partner in the previous business was an investor from the states. He is not involved in this new business.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wired gaming, sounds cool. Do you supply the drugs or do we have to bring our own?

Oh we most certainly provide the drug. ;)

Many of our previous members have been cold turkey for almost a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

RabidDog wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Wired Gaming will be reopening, in the same premises, on November 10th.

What is Wired Gaming and where is it located? Not much the wiser after looking at your website mate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wired was a hotspot for Galway gamers, located on Dominick Street.
    Most gamers in Galway would know of it, GalwayLAN has been held there.

Sorry, just a correction there, as I don't want to annoy anyone.

A GalwayLAN was going to be held in Wired near the launch, but as the GalwayLAN admins were all busy at the time (in or moving to Dublin) it never actually happened.

Apologies on the location issue, we only signed the lease yesterday so I hadn't added it to the site yet. An About Us page will be going up today too.

We are located at 2 Dominic Street Upper. Wired is a game centre, where you top up your account with time (similar to a pay as you go mobile) and play away.

It's a bit more than that though, we are also a community of gamers. It was many of those people that helped (and are helping) to get the place reopened. :)

We don't have the fastest PCs, the spec is still pretty much the same as the previous Wired (Intel Core 2 Duo E6650, 3GB RAM, Geforce 8800 GTS etc) but we do pay a lot of attention to our software. For instance all profiles and saves are stored on your account (each member has a "MemberDrive"), so they follow you around.

The systems also wipe any and all changes when a member logs off, so that the next person will have the system in it's best condition (no changed settings or other people's profiles/saves etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 AmazingMan

what is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Great news, best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭W!zard

Super news and congrats Mark!
    Great to see Wired back :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You owe me about €9, also, please install 1.6, source sucks the schlong of many donkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Never used your facilities as I have pumped an ass loaded of money into my new rig refurbishment but its nice to see your premises re-opening again! Seemed something was missing from the area when you closed!

Just back from an evening of painting, it's coming along well.

@AmazingMan, it's a PC gaming centre where all of the systems are hooked up to a local network, allowing multiplayer games to be played. It's really all about the social side of things though, it's good craic.

Thanks for all the support and comments. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Woop woop woop! I demand a sexy party!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

RabidDog wrote: »
    ... all profiles and saves are stored on your account (each member has a "MemberDrive"), so they follow you around.

A big problem that the "other place" suffers from. Have been in there a few times recently and there has always been someone sitting at a PC that I have a save for something on. I'll be moving back to Wired I think.

Best of luck with the new venture Mark.

Oh, just something I forgot to mention on the system side.

The software is not locked down in any way, you have all the access that you'd have on your home pc under an administrator account. Installing maps, mods, etc is encouraged, and these can be stored on our server for easy access. You are free to change any settings, even in the Control Panel. Installing drivers for a device you want to use for example, is fine.

The software we use checks the current filesystem against an image on our server and then reverts/removes any changes back to the image, even drivers.

The Internet is also fully available, though obviously you are expected to show restraint. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tampler

Sounds like an awsome place. Might drop in there sometime. Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

anyone else getting a server error when they click on the web site link

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

I COULD go there , but i think i would rather go to square eyes , and not have the place close down and me lose money

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hi Mark,

Will you provide any sort of mini lan party facility, say 10-16 people from an office coming in for a couple of hours on a thursday or friday evening, or is it members only?

Thanks,
    Buckie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

3fullback wrote: »
    anyone else getting a server error when they click on the web site link

No. Your tubes are full of fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

GO_Bear wrote: »
    I COULD go there , but i think i would rather go to square eyes , and not have the place close down and me lose money

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

+ several 1s

But any local business in Galway at this time is good. No doubt I'll drop in there on the odd occasion. Good luck with the business Mark and the gang, ye were always sound whenever I went in, but the plastic headsets and Kebab House boxes on the desks, greasy keyboards, sticky mouses and slidey-floory chairs bothered the f*ck out of me.

Stop people from eating and playing (a la squareyes) and I'll be much more likely to go there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭G-TAC

congrats mark hope all goes well for you from all at g-tac
    regards evelyn and martin and all the crew

....but the plastic headsets and Kebab House boxes on the desks, greasy keyboards, sticky mouses and slidey-floory chairs bothered the f*ck out of me.

So you don't want headsets, you want speakers on each pc? Or is it that the headsets were made of plastic? If so, what are your preferred headsets made of? ;)

I will say that the "old" Wired wasn't always as clean as it should have been, especially when I wasn't around. I was too much of a friend to the staff and not enough of a boss. Rest assured that this time around we'll have a strict cleaning roster.
    Stop people from eating and playing (a la squareyes) and I'll be much more likely to go there :)

That's a good idea, I always hated the mess people left after eating. Messy feckers. I'll suggest that on the site and see what people think.

Hi Mark,

Will you provide any sort of mini lan party facility, say 10-16 people from an office coming in for a couple of hours on a thursday or friday evening, or is it members only?

Thanks,
    Buckie

Hey Buckie,

Yeah we do group bookings, and at a reduced rate (for eight or more people it is a flat rate €3 per hour).

Membership is just €3 though, and with that you get two hours, so it'd probably be a good idea for your first session. :)

We also do what we can to fulfil any requests, such as having certain games, maps etc.

The regular rates are:

33 mins - €2
    1 h 6 m - €4
    2 h 12 m - €7
    3 h 18 m - €10
    4 h 24 m - €13
    5 h 30 m - €16
    7 h 42 m - €21

Each hour gets you 1 bonus point and 10 points can be exchanged for a free hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Hi RabidDog,

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was that those headsets always felt very finnicky and cheap. They cut into my ears. Speakers at each PC would be nice. It sets a bit of atmosphere when playing games like COD (guns blazing from 20+ PCs sounds impressive!).

Sounds good that you're considering a food-at-PC ban. I'm sure you know from personal experience how disgusting it is to use a mouse/keyboard/controller that is sticky or covered in grease.

Thanks for the reply :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

speakers at each pc is annoying as ****, i wanna be able to hear my own damned game.

but the headsets you used before were cheap as fook mark, buy a good set.

Your rates are stupid high, and i dont know your overheads so i guess i cant really call you on it but it would put me off going.

that said, wired > square eyes every time.

Please guys, don't turn this into a Squareyes vs Wired thread.

We both offer LAN gaming, but we do it in our own ways. There will always be people that prefer one or the other because of their personal preferences, and choice is always good.

Again you're right about the headphones, I made a mistake with one or two sets. No matter the quality there were always being broken, so I got fed up of pumping money into them. Saying that I do believe they are a necessity, speakers create a lot of noise solution.

We are ordering a new full set of headsets, and they will be comfortable. They also have mics, but the mic is on the cable (harder to break that way :) ).

Thanks again for all your support and comments guys. We take criticism too, we really do want things to be better this time.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Your rates are stupid high, and i dont know your overheads so i guess i cant really call you on it but it would put me off going.

Stupid high? How so? Compared to what?

If you're saying in comparison to Squareyes, we will not get into a price war with them (that would be really bad for both businesses). Whatever they want to offer is their business (literally ;) ). I will say though that their Ratesaver (5 hours for €15) is €3 per hour and our nearest is 5 hours 30 mins (for €16) which is €2.90 per hour. ;)

You are basically paying €4 for one hour and €3 for every hour after that, at each top up. So it makes sense to top up by more than one hour at a time.

Remember though that all time stays on your account, down to the minute, for the next time you're in. You get 3 mins for every 30 in order to get into your game (the idea being that a game of CoD4 etc is usually 30 mins, so you have 3 mins in which to load it up, choose a server etc). Then you have 10% back on that again in the form of bonus points (1 free hour for every 10).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I have to disagree with the statment that the prices are too high, I have always found it to be very fair, especially with the points system, it's easy to build up a few free hours very now and again!

Advertisement