Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XL litter tray?

Options
  • 29-10-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for an extra large litter tray for 2 indoor cats. One of my critters tends to dig and dig in the litter tray scattering litter all over the place. I have been placing their tray inside a cardboard box which helps with the litter scattering but the downside is the pair of them are often, ahem, wide of the mark. The cardboard box then becomes saturated and stinks the place.

Anybody know where I could get a large litter tray with high sides so I wouldn’t need to use a cardboard box? Not very concerned about the smell, I just want to ensure their litter area is hygienic.

Thanks,

T4E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Go to a local hardware shop and get a big plastic box.
    Cut out a hole and away you go :)

I made one like this for my kittens and put duct tape around the edges.
    When they got older I just taped to hole up and removed the lid, they could jump in from above.
    2797915525_8ded460aa8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

I got a cat toilet for my kitten. You can get them in argos for around 20e. It is an enclosed plastic box with a cat flap door and the added bonus is that it traps smells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Magnus wrote: »

Thank you kind Sir. That might just do the trick. :D
    Don't know why I didn't think of that myself... :rolleyes:
    cosnochta wrote: »
    I got a cat toilet for my kitten. You can get them in argos for around 20e. It is an enclosed plastic box with a cat flap door and the added bonus is that it traps smells.

Would solve the scattering problem alright but I don't like the closed in litter tray design. I always keep an eye on their litter to make sure they're 'going' regularly. Thanks though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Be careful when cutting the hole, some harder plastic will crack (this is why I had to duct tape the edges of the hole).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

When they got older I just taped to hole up and removed the lid, they could jump in from above.

That's so simple but ingenious!

Nuther option if you're stuck if anyone has a bottom of an old guinea pig or rabbit cage they work well as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

deadly smart! is yer surname Magnesum? (or something like that):)
    have you any other threads on the go re "good ideas" :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

Be careful when cutting the hole, some harder plastic will crack (this is why I had to duct tape the edges of the hole).

do you duck tape the edge before cutting??

if you cut from the inside out, and lay the box on a surface that you don't mind getting cut/scratched it should be easier also. Take your time, use a straight edge, cut away from you where you can, and have a sharp blade - or if the plastic "soft" enough - scissors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

Can I just say that you should provide 1 litter tray per cat and 1 spare one.

Cats are such clean animals, when I have kittens here they tend to use one tray to poo and the other one to wee in.

Here is a good site to help avoid problems.

http://pet-training.suite101.com/article.cfm/common_mistakes_in_litter_box_training_a_cat

Advertisement