Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mobile for email and internet (not iPhone)

• 29-10-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi all,I'm looking at taking credit card payments at markets and trade shows etc. I looked into getting a mobile credit card machine but unfortunately none of my grannies are for sale.

So, a more cost effective solution would be a phone with a decent screen area and web browser so I could use my online virtual terminal to type in the card number and card holder details etc.

So, I need a decent screen size and resolution, decent browser and a keyboard (on-screen keyboard is fine) (to type in customer's name).

An iPhone comes to mind, but I'd like something a little more cost effective. What is the best alternative?

Would be grateful for opinions.

Thanks all in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

nokia e90 communicator sounds like it could fit the bill, screen should be prefect for the job...

very expensive new, way more than an iphone but you should be able to pick one up second hand for around the 250 mark...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have you thought about getting a netbook?

An N97 would work, big screen, has on screen keypad, but has the proper keypad too which i think would be better than onscreen. A lot of qwerty phones would probably work like E71/E72.

Another option is to use current phone (an option) and get a wireless fold-able keyboard. These will work with new phones too ofcourse. One example: Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Get one of those cheap linux netbooks would be my thoughts on it. Some of them have inbuilt modem so you can throw a SIM into it or else you could hook it up to your phone by bluetooth or buy a cheap secondhand moble broadband modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Another vote for a net book with data cable for your current phone. Don't forget a data add-on for your phone tariff though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Samsung S8000 Jet has a pretty decent browser with an onscreen qwerty KB which allows for quite rapid typing using two thumbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

get yourself a Blackberry 8900...they are a great phone with lots of free apps... they have a small track ball which becomes a mouse with a pointer for web use....its mint

just some of the free apps out there i use:
    bolt...a very quick internet browser
    google maps.... gps system for directions and your location
    facebook app
    msn messenger
    yahoo messenger
    gmail

the list go on and on :)

the full qwerty keyboard makes it very easy to write emails without text talk....and it has a spellchecker for email and sms.. its smaller than an iphone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Palm pre
    htc hero

Advertisement