Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem booting from USB

Options
  • 29-10-2009 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hey there,

I have a Samsung NC10 Netbook (no cd/dvd drive), with XP Home pre-installed. It came with the 140gb HDD split into 2 equal partitions of 70gb each. I decided i wanted to try and install windows7 on the second partition.

I put windows7 onto a 4gb thumb drive and set the BIOS to look for the usb drive before the harddrive. It booted from the usb thumb drive and tried to install windows7. During the installation, it restarted my netbook and then gave me a blue screen of death (bsod).

I deleted any of the files created by windows7 on my second partition, but everytime i start my netbook now, it comes up with the "windows boot manager". If i select windows, it tries to run some sort of recovery, which warns that it will erase my hdd! So i have to select "previous version of windows" every time, to get into my windows xp.

I checked the boot.ini file and only windows xp is listed. I tried to boot from a usb thumb drive that has windows xp on it (so that i could run bootfix) and it doesn't boot from it and just goes straight to that stupid boot manager screen.

does anyone know how i can get rid of this or make my netbook boot from the usb thumb drive again, so i can re-install xp??

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

Comments

Advertisement