Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant connect to router after XP reinstall.

Options
  • 29-10-2009 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi,
    I had to re-install windows on my machine a few days ago, because of a nasty virus. The machine worked fine on the network before I had to reinstall windows.

There are a few other machines in the house. Two macs, two other windows machines.
    Both macs connect fine. None of the windows machines connect. All have different system disks.

I upgraded the machine in question to SP3 just incase there was some WPA issue.

I have been trying for a few days now to fix the problem, but have had no luck.

The closest I can get is to enter the i.p. address and such myself. It connects, but I cant browse, and it doesn't show up on the router as having connected.

tried restarting WZC. tried winsockfix.exe. Tried ipconfig/reset and others.

After entering the WPA password, the connection stalls on renewing your i.p. address.

Its the exact same problem with all three windows machines.

I've tried resetting the router to factory settings.
    I've checked DHCP, i.p. addresses allotted, loads of other things.

I'm completely baffled.

Can anybody help, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Turn off the encription until you get it connectiing then enable it again once you confirm it has received an IP from the router dhcp pool.

Never try to troubleshoot a wireless issue with the encription on, you will just bang your head against the wall until you bleed.

Best bet is to change the password as from what you say it looks like you are failing authentication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Hi,
    I had to re-install windows on my machine a few days ago, because of a nasty virus. The machine worked fine on the network before I had to reinstall windows.

There are a few other machines in the house. Two macs, two other windows machines.
    Both macs connect fine. None of the windows machines connect. All have different system disks.

I upgraded the machine in question to SP3 just incase there was some WPA issue.

I have been trying for a few days now to fix the problem, but have had no luck.

The closest I can get is to enter the i.p. address and such myself. It connects, but I cant browse, and it doesn't show up on the router as having connected.

tried restarting WZC. tried winsockfix.exe. Tried ipconfig/reset and others.

After entering the WPA password, the connection stalls on renewing your i.p. address.

Its the exact same problem with all three windows machines.

I've tried resetting the router to factory settings.
    I've checked DHCP, i.p. addresses allotted, loads of other things.

I'm completely baffled.

Can anybody help, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you set your DNS servers? Default gateway?

Advertisement