Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Ennis Late at Night

• 29-10-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi folks,

Bit of advice needed.

I arrive back into Dublin Airport at 9pm on a Sat evening and want to get home to my bed that night as I have work early on Sun morning.

Basically after a bit of research I could see that City Link buses would drop me in Galway at 1.30am, but after contacting them they said that their 3.30 bus to Shannon doesn't stop on the bypass/in town.

So basically wondering if there is any alternative route to ennis that i amn't aware of after the hours of nine o clock at night.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Could you not get the City Link to Shannon Airport and a cab from there, either that or ask them to stop on the road somewhere and have a taxi collect you from there? Or rent a car (I presume not an option)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'd say a taxi from Shannon would be your only public transport option.

Last train to Ennis leaves Dublin at 5 on Saturday.

There is a train to Limerick at 9, but you won't get from the airport to Heuston station to catch it, and you still have to get from Limerick.

And I can't make head nor tail of Bus Eireann's disastrous site, so I don't know what service they offer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

Not that it will facilitate you much but there's a JJ Kavanagh bus which departs Dublin airport at midnight and arrives into Shannon airport at 4.20 a.m. It costs about 20 Euro single and so leaves the few bob over to get a taxi to Ennis. But of course, you won't get to be in your bed for long! Unless there's a crowd of bowsies on the bus, you could sleep a bit, possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

The citylink bus stops in Crusheen, does it not? Would a taxi to Ennis be cheaper from there than Shannon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Tadhg17

You can either get the Citylink bus to Galway and then Citylink bus to Shannon Airport, get off in Crusheen and taxi to Ennis or else a JJ Kavanagh bus at midnight to Shannon Airport and then get a taxi to Ennis from Shannon Airport. I would get the JJ Kavanagh bus, at least you would have a better chance of getting a taxi from Shannon Airport than Crusheen at 4:30 in the morning! Tho a taxi from Crusheen might be cheaper to Ennis maybe....

http://www.jjkavanagh.ie/images/stories/timetable/Shannon-Dublin.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ask the citylink bus driver if he could drop you off on the Ennis bypass, if he refuses threaten him that you will get sick. If he agrees call a taxi.

Ask the citylink bus driver if he could drop you off on the Ennis bypass, if he refuses threaten him that you will get sick. If he agrees call a taxi.

Are you as unpleasant as you seem from your posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bannerbhoy

Why not hire a car for the day(assumeing you can drive etc),probally work out just as cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 fumpidge

Teadrinker wrote: »
    Are you as unpleasant as you seem from your posts?

Rtth is logical. Ever in Dublin on the Nightlink? Everyone pukes their guts up :D

fumpidge wrote: »
    Rtth is logical. Ever in Dublin on the Nightlink? Everyone pukes their guts up :D

The issue is far more serious than messy puking on a bus.

It is about a post advising someone to threaten/coerce and distract a bus driver during the course of
    their work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Manipulating a bus driver into stopping for 30 seconds! Oh god, the humanity.

The public transport options available to people in this country are utterly crap. By rights If I want to get a bus home to Ennis I've got to bus it 3 miles right past my house because it's an 'express' service. You can bet I'm going to coerce the driver into stopping for a minute if it's raining heavily, rather than walking all the way back out from the station. Many of them are fine if you ask politely, but being able to get off a bus at anytime for any reason really shouldn't really be a something you should have to argue about.

I wonder how Mowgli got on? I wouldn't have liked to have been walking any distance last night at 4 in the morning, or trying to call a taxi.

Manipulating a bus driver into stopping for 30 seconds! Oh god, the humanity.

The public transport options available to people in this country are utterly crap. By rights If I want to get a bus home to Ennis I've got to bus it 3 miles right past my house because it's an 'express' service. You can bet I'm going to coerce the driver into stopping for a minute if it's raining heavily, rather than walking all the way back out from the station. Many of them are fine if you ask politely, but being able to get off a bus at anytime for any reason really shouldn't really be a something you should have to argue about.

I wonder how Mowgli got on? I wouldn't have liked to have been walking any distance last night at 4 in the morning, or trying to call a taxi.

Asking a driver to make an unscheduled stop on a regular road is very different from threatening to throw up on a bus if a driver refuses to make an illegal stop on a bypass/motorway where, by the way, it is illegal to walk and illegal for a taxi to pick you up. One is wanting to push your luck a bit and the other is an act worthy of a thug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Teadrinker wrote: »
    Asking a driver to make an unscheduled stop on a regular road is very different from threatening to throw up on a bus if a driver refuses to make an illegal stop on a bypass/motorway where, by the way, it is illegal to walk and illegal for a taxi to pick you up. One is wanting to push your luck a bit and the other is an act worthy of a thug.
    It's not illegal to drop someone off at a slip road roundabout. I have seen it done before with Bus Eireann. Citylink is also currently running an unlicensed express Galway to Dublin service so I cannot see an unscheduled stop off at a junction making much too much odds to them.

Advertisement