Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Do I really want to start playing EVE?

Options
  • 29-10-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

I just cancelled my WOW sub for the final time I hope, there is though a bit of a void for some MMO goodness.

Was looking at DDO online but it seems a bit Wow like.. (awaits to be torn to shreds) EVE does look nice and idea of vast open space intrigues me.

Is there a very steep learning curve in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Yes there is a steep learning curve and no you shouldn't start playing it. I play it and some of the people on here play it too, but its too late for us. Run.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Obligatory Eve learning curve picture.

2335016192_6003c39c4c.jpg

There is a learning curve, but its not as bad anymore. Just do the tutorial, and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Eve has the steepest learning curve of any modern game. If you're not smart and careful it will leave you curled up in a corner, rocking in the shadows, mumbling about the awful things in the dark. Some day you will be able to show on a doll where the bad game touched you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Sounds great, I think I shall get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sounds great, I think I shall get it :)

man you used to be cool :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JoeDante

to learn ALL about the game is tough, but just getting a ship fitted isn't too bad. Your ship has power and cpu "points" and the equipment you put on it costs varying amouts of CPU and power "points".

Different equipment require you have trained different skills. Just press the little blue "i" alot and read up.

I found the curve initially to be fairly organic, as in, you wanted to fit a gun lets say, you hadn't got the skill, you bought the skill and trained it, then you fitted it to your ship.

I'd play it for a week all by yourself, it's quite satisfying to achieve those little milestones and get a feel for the game. Then maybe look into getting some advice. I just feel if you're advised from the very start you miss out on finding things out by yourself, and half the terms people use are meaningless anyway.

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

JoeDante wrote: »
    to learn ALL about the game is tough, but just getting a ship fitted isn't too bad. Your ship has power and cpu "points" and the equipment you put on it costs varying amouts of CPU and power "points".

Different equipment require you have trained different skills. Just press the little blue "i" alot and read up.

I found the curve initially to be fairly organic, as in, you wanted to fit a gun lets say, you hadn't got the skill, you bought the skill and trained it, then you fitted it to your ship.

I'd play it for a week all by yourself, it's quite satisfying to achieve those little milestones and get a feel for the game. Then maybe look into getting some advice. I just feel if you're advised from the very start you miss out on finding things out by yourself, and half the terms people use are meaningless anyway.

Just my 2c.

True that. I did the same, I've never been part of a large corp only ever really done my own thing for the past nearly 2 years. It wasn't till Fleet war rolled around that I started joining in with larger groups and I likes it!

I'm looking to join a larger more active corp now *cough hint throws around cvs* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

azezil wrote: »
    I'm looking to join a larger more active corp now *cough hint throws around cvs* ;)

I'll get you into goonswarm, just pm me and we can discuss the details. You have a carrier right?

Heh.

On that note, just the other night someone convinced a guy he would be able to join for a fee and to bring all of his stuff out to goonspace where our gang was waiting with a bubble. He paid 7.5 mil as a fee and loaded everything he owned (a pile of useless crap) into his terribly fitted Drake. When I say terribly I mean just awful. He had two boosters installed. The last thing he said to his "recruiter" was "help!"

This game is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

dont trust anyone. except the people you trust but you should trust them the least. haha.

just started playing again last week. man its hard to get back into it. i just dont have the time anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Man I know the feeling. Used to have loads of time to blow on eve. Now I log in an alt, make a few iskies margin trading in jita then log on my main and lose a few ships in Amamake. Pimped rifters are the easiest way to get some good fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

If you like spreadsheets then you'll LOVE it. Don't get the wrong impression of it from the guys floating about 1.0 and 0.9 doing bugger all. Once you get a good idea of how to play it find some people and jump into low sec regions to see the real fun unfold

Advertisement