Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

About time for a picture wouldn't you say?

haha ill take one later and put it up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

About time for a picture wouldn't you say?

I've never liked the idea of collecting nintendo stuff due to the fact they had cardboard boxes as opposed to clamshells.
    Oddly enough I dont mind having unboxed 2600 stuff as it those carts still looked decent when they're stacked up!

Its the cardboard boxes that make them worth collecting! No retro game looks more impressive than a NES boxed game, theres just something about the look of them.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Its the cardboard boxes that make them worth collecting! No retro game looks more impressive than a NES boxed game, theres just something about the look of them.
    cough
    Sms_pro_wrestling_box.jpg
    black_belt.jpg
    Action-Fighter_SMS_Frontboxart_160w.jpg

..er hang on maybe I should pick some better examples...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pro Wrestling has the best box art ever, FACT!

• Advertisement

Close second.. for pure american weirdness.

Anticipation.JPG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The girl in the middle looks like she's there against her will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Not a fan of the game, but I love this cover art.

Special_Criminal_Investigation_Cover.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well look where the hand of the guy to her right is. Definite shenanigans.

And I don't like the look of bizarre pleasure on the face of the guy behind her...

The guy on the back right looks like someone drew eyebrows on him.

was just looking up nes box art and thought this was funny, Thundercats must have been out around this time.

cheetahmen2mv6.jpg

• Advertisement

Speaking of Cheethamen 2 a patch for the game was recently released that makes the game playable (in the loosest sense) by fixing all the bugs so that the game is now beatable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Speaking of Cheethamen 2 a patch for the game was recently released that makes the game playable (in the loosest sense) by fixing all the bugs so that the game is now beatable.

Only recently watched the AVGN episodes relating to those games - talk about horrendous gameplay not to mention the fact you can't complete it (or couldn't back then).

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Not a fan of the game, but I love this cover art.

Special_Criminal_Investigation_Cover.jpg
    better than chase hq anyway
    570201_91699_front.jpg
    dont get me wrong , I love SMS boxes , but some of them are a bit...odd

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katharinewheel

A shooter fan. YAY! :)

:D

Been hitting up Ikaruga pretty hard lately as well. Though I can never play it for very for some reason it always makes me incredibily disorientated.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ronin, gods I love that movie, best car chases ever!
    On a brighter note I just took a big chance and bought one of these..
    firecore-passport

Basically a cheap, cut price, SD based cart for the Megadrive.
    Now it is designed for the firecore range of cloned MD hardware but I am reckoning it should work just fine on a standard Megadrive, at least that's what I am banking on!
    I don't think there is any chance of there being even close to the functionality of the Everdrive, no save game option for starters, but at least I will be able to play pretty much everything on the thing, once it is compatible.
    What you think?
    It's costing 34 for the thing, including 13 postage! Thats a tad steep.
    If it works though it'll be a cost effective way of playing all those games you never got to play otherwise, might be cool in the Nomad!
    meant to ask , did that work in the end?
    only mention I can find of it basically says it wouldnt work with a real meg though.

Been hitting up Ikaruga pretty hard lately as well. Though I can never play it for very for some reason it always makes me incredibily disorientated.

I can get to grips with the polarity mechanics, wrecks my head. Ingenious game though, I love it!

You should add Rainbowbell to your SNES collection too!

Today's haul:

1. From Toaplan! for PC Engine, Dai Sen Pu [NTSC-J, RC-OCD not pictured] and Panzer Dragoon Zwei [NTSC-J, SC-OCD, RC-OCD]

XuMkd.jpg

2. From C80! RefRain: Prism Memories [NTSC-J, SG-OCD, CIB]

SyGSB.jpg
    3a5oC.jpg

3. Namco Museum Vol. 4 and Vol. 5 [NTSC-J, SC-OCD]

8LAYg.jpg

4. A PSP 1003 with case, 4gb HDD and super battery, power adapter plus 6 games

yYFR6.jpg
    V10kj.jpg

Bit disappointed the RefRain seal bent the box a bit but I can straighten that out. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

meant to ask , did that work in the end?
    only mention I can find of it basically says it wouldnt work with a real meg though.

Nope, no dice :(
    Just hang onto it until I spot a compatible clone MD.

Picked up Henry Hatsworth today for 12, happy days

Thanks Steve! :)

IMG_9229.jpg

Got this Sega sign recently from a chap over on AO. The letters are etched into the back of the acrylic to catch the blue light. Not sure where to hang it yet but thought it looked cool. :)

segasign.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Thanks Steve! :)

IMG_9229.jpg

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Got this Sega sign recently from a chap over on AO. The letters are etched into the back of the acrylic to catch the blue light. Not sure where to hang it yet but thought it looked cool. :)

segasign.jpg

I'm actually sick with envy on that one :o

Does he make them up himself, if so can u send on some details.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I'm actually sick with envy on that one :o

Does he make them up himself, if so can u send on some details.

Hehe cheers. He said he found it during a clear out. Here's a link to the thread if you want to PM him, nice chap to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden coins. (gb)

The Legend of Zelda. (gba)

The adventure of Link (gba)

Super Mario Bros DX. (gbc)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cool, that SML2 is a game I don't own and WANT.
    Actually, I don't think I have owned SML since it was launched and I finished it!
    I think it was, actually, the first Mario game I ever owned!
    I mean, I played Donkey Kong and DKjr but that was for 10p a go, not quite the same as ownership!
    I didn't own a NES the first time about either, and the first Ninty hardware I has was the original GB.
    There were a few conversions to the Speccy, DK being one of them, but I never bothered with them, given that the Speccy was very much a Euro centric console and the dev scene already vibrant, more than enough quality titles on the machine back in the heady days of 86...
    Some of you would have still been swimming around in your Dads... well you know what I mean! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think may have a new favourite hand-held and it's not even a console. I'm due a new phone upgrade on my contract but saw someone on adverts that wanted to swap his Xperia Play for a Desire HD. Wasn't sure about the phone but I'm due an upgrade so if I didn't like it, I'll be getting a new phone regardless.

It's amazing. Have SNES, CPS2, GBA and Megadrive emulators running on it, all at - what seems to me at least - full speed and it's amazing. I'm playing through Terranigma right now for the fifth or sixth time, Seiken Densetsu 3 is next then Mother 3. The controls are just so perfectly set up for emulation, I honestly think that in years to come people will be collecting these for retro gaming and ignoring the phone aspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think may have a new favourite hand-held and it's not even a console. I'm due a new phone upgrade on my contract but saw someone on adverts that wanted to swap his Xperia Play for a Desire HD. Wasn't sure about the phone but I'm due an upgrade so if I didn't like it, I'll be getting a new phone regardless.

It's amazing. Have SNES, CPS2, GBA and Megadrive emulators running on it, all at - what seems to me at least - full speed and it's amazing. I'm playing through Terranigma right now for the fifth or sixth time, Seiken Densetsu 3 is next then Mother 3. The controls are just so perfectly set up for emulation, I honestly think that in years to come people will be collecting these for retro gaming and ignoring the phone aspect.

Try the FPse playstation emulator. Runs pretty well with most games

Probably be picking one of these up as an upgrade in a bit
    how are they for regular phone/browsing/camera stuff?

I like but as I am not due for an upgrade for another 4 months might wait and see if a better version of the phone emerges, otherwise it's a Galaxy SII for me.
    Getting way way pissed off with the Sense UI on the HTC Desire.
    Sorry to be so off topic there!

• Advertisement

In the market this morning, there were two Snes' with no cables, two DC with no cables, I didn't buy any of those.
    Saw a complete Crystal Xbox with all cables and controllers with games but he wanted too much, 30 euro.
    I saw a US 'cube with some games and got it for 9 euro and then found it had a Gameboy Player attached!
    No bootdisk though so I've ordered one on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

In the market this morning, there were two Snes' with no cables, two DC with no cables, I didn't buy any of those.
    Saw a complete Crystal Xbox with all cables and controllers with games but he wanted too much, 30 euro.
    I saw a US 'cube with some games and got it for 9 euro and then found it had a Gameboy Player attached!
    No bootdisk though so I've ordered one on ebay.

Which market is this? I was in the two markets in Tallaght yesterday (Tallaght Stadium and the one opposite Jacobs). Nothing in either one but the one at Jacobs seems more like permanent shops rather than car boot random sellers market - can't see there ever being anything retro like there.. Stadium one you get some items from time to time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Got this in a carboot in England for 10 quid
    No cable to the TV though
    172372.jpg

Swapped Alter Egotist a NES today for this .,.

IMG_9230.jpg

IMG_9231.jpg

Picked this up yesterday( cheers steve)

th_0371d1a6.jpg

Oh and picked this up a few days back after the robocop thread
    th_60e39d5d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Swapped Alter Egotist a NES today for this

Get the ac adaptor- http://www.gamebaz.com/?a=i&i=30037

• Advertisement

It has and adapter with it, its two pronged adapter though, i need a stepdown adapter for it, i have no idea about these things, anyone know where i can get one?

nes/snes *black box* power supply should suffice so no need for stepdown,im not sure what ps retr0 is using?

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/hardware/?type=accessories&sec=main&id=2

So i have that little box thing, does that mean a snes power supply will work on it without blowing it up?

it Should yes,the adaptor is only a connection,the psu is external.

racketboy confirms aswell- http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo/2010/03/nintendo-virtual-boy-101-a-beginners-guide.html

Assembler games- http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25596

*do a google search first ,or drop retr0 an pm or don't actually tempt faith in case your afraid :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Picked up an awesome SNES bundle today! After 3 years or so I finally have a SNES power supply :P

• Advertisement

What games did you get?

I went and ordered the bootdisk for my new Gameboy Player and have decided against selling the US 'Cube and instead intend to pop in a region switch, so I can select US or Jap, and use my few NTSC games they way they were meant to be played!
    Also going to look out for a game I've been after for a while, DrillLand, kinda the best of the Mr Driller games, on the Gamecube and never released outside Japan. I have played it via "other means" and it's excellent!

Good news , this arrived for the lynx (bought it ages ago for about a fiver)
    54549aa9.jpg
    ..but ...its factory sealed!! I'm suddenly feeling very reluctant to open it...arrgh collector dilemma!

I'd just buy another one unboxed.

What games did you get?

I went and ordered the bootdisk for my new Gameboy Player and have decided against selling the US 'Cube and instead intend to pop in a region switch, so I can select US or Jap, and use my few NTSC games they way they were meant to be played!
    Also going to look out for a game I've been after for a while, DrillLand, kinda the best of the Mr Driller games, on the Gamecube and never released outside Japan. I have played it via "other means" and it's excellent!

There's no point in getting a region switch on a Gamecube when a freeloader does the same job. Also I've not seen a Cube game that didn't support PAL 60 which means you're actually getting better resolution than on a US machine.

I'm suddenly feeling very reluctant to open it...arrgh collector dilemma!
    WARNING!
    A HUGE CASE OF SG-OCD IS APPROACHING FAST!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

WARNING!
    A HUGE CASE OF SG-OCD IS APPROACHING FAST!

Warning large text approaching :pac::pac:

What you say? Make your time! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

There's no point in getting a region switch on a Gamecube when a freeloader does the same job. Also I've not seen a Cube game that didn't support PAL 60 which means you're actually getting better resolution than on a US machine.

If you can pick up a component cable and have a cube that has the digital AV out, the 480p NTSC supported games look truly magic. That said, resident evil (remake) doesn't support it, which is a massive disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Its one of the rare instances when a PAL console is actually better than an NTSC one. The XenoGC chip in a PAL cube makes for a truly universal RGB, swap disc free experience. The chip is something like $10, well worth it :)

As bugs said though you can get component for the NTSC machines though. The Xbox and Dreamcast also had PAL 60 options although in the case of the Xbox Halo and Halo 2 had very poor PAL 60 conversions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement