Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Mr. Parish, I think an X68000 or a Fujitsu FM Towns II would look utterly spectacular in your collection!
    Damn it. Now I have to spend more money I don't have! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Sure, I've always wanted a Jap PS2, thanks for reminding me of this Adrian Van Halen. :pac:

So that's a no then :(

Well as long as I get to use it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Resident evil 2 n64. Cart only I'm afraid.

Also got, for those you might interested, another pile of Terry Pratchett 1st editions and a 1st edition of The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

Terry pratchett ones were:
    Lord and Ladies
    Reaper Man
    Mort
    Men at Arms
    Witches Abroad

Can we change this to the arcade/retro/terry pratchett 1st editions forum?

Kinda lost the urge for retro gaming goodies lately. Resident evil is first purchase since before Xmas? Does anyone else go through phases collecting? Seems I'm in book mode now.

Got a kindle for my birthday as well. I bought one last year and sold, seems my girlfriend forgot that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Got a Kindle myself for Xmas, I think it's a great way of having the classics and history texts to hand, as well as tons of classic scifi.

Books wise I picked up Anti-Ice by Stephen Baxter, from when he was a good author, it's very worn looking second hand book but that only makes it look even more loved!

Pratchett, ah yes, I have all of his so far, not sure about first editions mind you, just a large array of paperbacks and most of the last decades books in hardcover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Does anyone else go through phases collecting? Seems I'm in book mode now.

Nope. Collect everything you want to collect at the same time, that way you don't go through phases and enjoy everything at once! :)

I've a Kindle too. I have my 2600 subscription delivered to it. Other magazines I have delivered to my iPad. Forget paying Easons prices for print copies and I make sure I don't miss an issue of whatever it is I read... 50+, Girls & Corpses, Farmers Weekly and the North County Leader. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Kinda lost the urge for retro gaming goodies lately. Resident evil is first purchase since before Xmas? Does anyone else go through phases collecting? Seems I'm in book mode now.

I go through phases of buying lots and then not bothering for a while. It's funny; this usually coincides with when I do and do not have money. For the foreseeable future it looks like I will not be posting new items in this thread :(

Instead I'm spending my spare money on that new UK Marvel Graphic Novel collection. It's a pricey purchase every two weeks but I'm hooked for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 coyotefitzy

I don't know why, but since last year I started collecting retro 80's toys, Big yellow teapot, Tomy tutor Play Computer etc. And have started to collect consoles, have an old 1983 system with two games, N64, GameCube, old gameboys etc...
    Starting to think its a compulsion. Oh and lots of Star Trek toys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Muhahahahahahahah.
    Finally.
    KGrHqNHJCME7zB5TcL5BPDfvK8vqQ60_12.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not a game or console but gaming related. Got Racing the Beam in the post today.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not a game or console but gaming related. Got Racing the Beam in the post today.

Looks like a very interesting read. Might have to give that a look!

...oh, and my 'gets' arrived today. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I don't know why, but since last year I started collecting retro 80's toys, Big yellow teapot, Tomy tutor Play Computer etc. And have started to collect consoles, have an old 1983 system with two games, N64, GameCube, old gameboys etc...
    Starting to think its a compulsion. Oh and lots of Star Trek toys.
    Ive been there , ended up selling on a lot of the transformers I bought though. Got
    an urge to go after a complete manta force and action force roboskull recently but no luck so far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The only toys I collect these days are Starcom, as they're nice and small. Haven't bought any in ages though due to the price of them. Some sellers are insane.

o1s1n wrote: »
    The only toys I collect these days are Starcom, as they're nice and small. Haven't bought any in ages though due to the price of them. Some sellers are insane.

I had a Starcom ship as a kid. Think I still have it somewhere. Toys that were ahead of their time.

Master of the Universe

I had a Starcom ship as a kid. Think I still have it somewhere. Toys that were ahead of their time.

Ah cool, was it the white Starmax Bomber? Any time I mention Starcom to someone they seem to have owned one of them :) Great ship that.

The line really was ahead of it's time. In the end, it died off due to the realism. They weren't flashy enough.

Ultimately though, that's whats given it its cult status. (and in many cases, obscene price levels!)

Nope. I had this. The Star Wolf Starfighter (had to look it up!).

Starcomupdate09232006005.jpg

I think I still have it somewhere in the lock-up. Maybe. I had something else too, I forget the actual name of it but it was like a cross between Lego Technic and Starcom.

I wish I could remember what it was called. The toy was almost like a Bigtrak but a grey colour with proper rubber wheels (almost like low profile RC rubber wheels).

Any ideas anyone?

• Advertisement

Blimey! Totally forgot, while looking up Starcom stuff, I had the space station too. I remember because yer man the pilot had magnetic feet.

Hope I still have them, seeing as they are worth a few bob! :)

EDIT: Appears that toy I was talking about was also Starcom! The 'Shadow Invader' buggy. Didn't realize I had a a few bits of this stuff. Bet I fecked it all out now though. :(

EDIT2: Holy feck! This is the thing I had! I remember getting this giant box for Christmas! OK, I need to get someone in to the lockup for a look around. Dig these treasures out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/StarCom-Starbase-Command-Headquarters-Vintage-1986-Collectable-New-MIB-/290627046524

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just want a Simon, I've seen Jr versions for sale but it's not the same.

I used to build my starship toys out of lego or mechano, and some cool stuff it was too, heavily influenced by Star Wars and Battlestar it has to be said, but then it was the late 70's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I just want a Simon, I've seen Jr versions for sale but it's not the same.

I used to build my starship toys out of lego or mechano, and some cool stuff it was too, heavily influenced by Star Wars and Battlestar it has to be said, but then it was the late 70's!

Yeah but your Meccano looked like this :p

Meccano_No7_Instructions_%28front%29.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I used to love Meccano. Definitely my toy of choice once I graduated from Lego.

I ordered loads of games last week and nothing has arrived, so disappointed :'(

I received these today. Now, yes, Super Aleste is there, but it's eclipsed by The Tower. Just watch this opening video for the game, then tell me you don't bloody LOVE IT! It's like Little Computer People only good! :D

1. Super Aleste [Super Famicom, CIB, NTSC-J] and The Tower [Sega Saturn, BNIB, SG-OCD, NTSC-J]
    WasJa.jpg

2. Idol Janshi Wo Tsukucchaou ♥ *Limited Edition* [Dreamcast, CIB, SC-OCD, RC-OCD, 1st Run Print, NTSC-J], Paro Wars [PS1, NTSC-J], Davis Cup [PC Engine, BNIB, SG-OCD, NTSC-J], Metal Slug X [PS1, NTSC-J], Kunio's Soccer [PC Engine, BNIB, SG-OCD, NTSC-J]
    qTEa8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Very nice stuff Pyong. That Tower game looks intriguing alright, is the language barrier much of a problem I wonder? Oh and you posted the same picture twice, can't see Super Alests and The Tower?

Whoops! Corrected it now. :)

Nope, the language barrier should be fine for the most part. It's mostly icon driven with familiar looking icons. I love the look of this game so much I started a thread on it. :o

The Idol game is super cool too. I love Mahjong games. Not the pervy ones! This one is a limited edition first run print and is minty with all the bits. The second CD is a drama CD and a soundtrack which is nice. I do love a bit of Mahjong I confess!

I'm completely ignorant about those Mahjong games other than there's millions of them in Mame, the visuals always reminded me of a Japanese version of scrabble or something. :pac: Dedicated cabs and panels seem to be very popular among arcade folk it seems though.

Indeed, the Astro mahjong CP's are very bizarre. I wouldn't go the arcade mahjong route I don't think as I don't understand the buttons. Simple, console mahjong games though are really good fun.

In fact, I've a mahjong game on my DS that my wife and I play more than any other game I have for the DS or GBA. Lots of fun and with this one the idol twist and the package in general is really cool.

The best part is, the majority of folks don't want these games because they're not 'cool'. I say keep thinking like that, more for me! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

heres what I got this week

DSCN2437.jpg

The Snes looks to ncie with the RBG cable and the DC game comes complete with all the OCD's

DSCN2438.jpg

the DC game comes complete with all the OCD's

Good man! :D

Master of the Universe

Holy **** they're some crisp snes boxes!

Holy **** they're some crisp snes boxes!

Yep! Its terrible, I was hovering over BIN of €100 for a complete FF3 not only 10 minutes ago :(

Master of the Universe

I never really saw the attraction as I always thought it was a waste of money seeing as they're cardboard.

But I've been looking at some really mint ones lately and they are a thing of absolutely beauty when they're in perfect condition.

Was watching this Zelda LTTP. The price is a bit crazy at the moment, but the box looks like it's just been laser cut

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320831316904?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Its a complete waste of money!
    Just like the SC-OCD though, once you get a taste for it it consumes you

My SNEs collection will be modest though, mabye 35-40 of the best US games. Talking DK trilogy, Super Metroid, FF 3, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Super Punch Out, mario kart, super mario RPG, all the most obvious ones really haha but a few of the underrated gems too

• Advertisement

SC, RC, SG, CIB, BNIB, NTSC-J OCD's. Blame Pantryboy, he started it! :p

Very nice Jack!

Master of the Universe

My SNEs collection will be modest though, mabye 35-40 of the best US games. Talking DK trilogy, Super Metroid, FF 3, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Super Punch Out, mario kart, super mario RPG, all the most obvious ones really haha but a few of the underrated gems too

If you're looking for those games CIB, some will set you back a good lot. Earthbound, you're talking hundreds boxed, Chrono Trigger in the region of 80-100, not sure about FF 3! The others could still bring you up to 50 each. CIB Snes is an expensive hobby so it is.
    SC, RC, SG, CIB, BNIB, NTSC-J OCD's. Blame Pantryboy, he started it! :p

Haha!! I don't think so. I was happy with Megadrive games missing booklets until Jack Burton pointed out to me a few years ago that it's far more awesome getting them CIB. I still curse him for that!

And you, you just had to bring it up to sniffing levels!

Oh, by the way, today is World Fetish day, so you can happily sniff your polyethylene bags without any risk of a slagging :D

oh yeah expensive I know but I'd reckong one every 4 months would be alright!

oh yeah expensive I know but I'd reckong one every 4 months would be alright!

I limit myself to one 'unseal and sniff' every 4 months. Seals the smell of investment in longer.

Mmm...SS-OCD!

homer-drooling.jpg

I limit myself to one 'unseal and sniff' every 4 months. Seals the smell of investment in longer.

I can't imagine what would happen to you if you went back over to that lock-up of yours and opened her up - more of a thick smog of investment you'd overdose on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Yahey first new games of 2012:P
    Went intothe Rage earlier and picked up Solar Striker (€10) & Looney Tunes Martian Revenge for (€5) bothe CIB and in good nick, seems the Rage have gotten their act together a bit.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the motherlode tomorrow, all my ebay purchases from two weeks ago arriving on the same day :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the motherlode tomorrow, all my ebay purchases from two weeks ago arriving on the same day :P

I'm waiting on 3 things too which should hopefully arrive in the morning!

What are you waiting on? And you better hope the mother is out! :P

• Advertisement

On DS:

Glory of Heracles
    Jam with the Band
    Monsters Tale

Wonderswan:
    Makaimura
    Tane Wo Maku Tori

Saturn:
    Wachenroder
    Devil Summoner
    Soul Hackers

And my CDI laser but that's coming from Hong Kong which always means weird shipping.

Makaimura

Nice!

Just after paying for this bad boy, arcade oktaku, kind of regretting my registration on that site :D

RDR_3710.jpg

RDR_3708.jpg

RDR_3702.jpg

Just after paying for this bad boy, arcade oktaku, kind of regretting my registration on that site :D

Lovely stuff and you'll soon get addicted to checking their Marketplace daily! :pac:

You already know I want the sticks off you Mr. Burton!

Master of the Universe

Wowza. Nice one!

Where's it coming from? The UK?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

IMG_20120123_101740.jpg
    Not arcadey but special for me as this is the first (non pong) game I was ever given. Well first 4 (since its a compilation) .
    Atari smash hits vol 4 (Atari 8 bit tape)
    Chop suey/ firechief/hijac/ and the frankly rubbish kissin kousins.
    Big nostalgic rush

Must knock up a YT vid soon.:)

Wowza. Nice one!

Where's it coming from? The UK?

Bloke he's buying it off is sound. Mr. Tayto got himself a bargain there. Full populated board packing Virtsticks. Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Oh, that 3DO is rather minty looking all right :D

Still better off with a NTSC FZ1 with a PAL PSU.

Bloke he's buying it off is sound. Mr. Tayto got himself a bargain there. Full populated board packing Virtsticks. Nice!

Scotland the chap is from, and yeah sound out fella, minute I gave him my email and number I had a courier email saying it was going to be collected tomorrow

My naomi one is grand but not as minty as this one. Plus I think those sticks might be down my alley. And if they are not I'm sure I can trade them :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement