Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Feckin sony, backstards...

Actually, platform exclusives are one thing, and not what I was talking about.
    Atari actually used their reps to inform vendors that if they stocked competing systems that they would no longer enjoy the full support of Atari, meaning they threatened shop owners that if they stocked, say, Vectrex or Colecovision they would hold off on supplies of Atari merchandise and so blackmail the shop owner into either relegating competing formats to the lower shelves or off the shelves all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I picked up a complete copy of the limited edition version of ICO for five euro, four art cards and all. I've been shaking slightly since, never really get this lucky in the wild. Less retro, I found a copy of Super Street Fighter IV on the 360 for three quid, mint condition. Goodwill Thrift Shop on Chapel St, place doesn't seem to distinguish between 7th and 6th gen, as the PS2 games are the same price as the PS3 and 360 (Mind, there's fifteen quid copy of Blur-odd). They've got quite a few games left, and only about twenty percent of them are the inevitable sports titles. Also, heads up for anyone with a PSP, Oxfam Books on Parliment St just got a small stack of stuff in. I couldn't see as the cashier was just taking in the donation for pricing, but it might be worth a look. Couldn't see an EA title, so could be promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I just picked up Ico too, though mine was €1.99 without a manual or cover. Got Space Invaders: Invasion Day too and Starsky & Hutch both for €3.99 (got Ico free on a 3 for 2 offer) fully boxed with manuals.

No idea if S&H is any good, just got it as nothing else was there to fill the 3 for 2 offer and it looked ok. Ico you lot don't stop going on about so I figured I best check it out! I really only wanted the Space Invaders game for my SHMUP collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Pyongyang wrote: »

No idea if S&H is any good, just got it as nothing else was there to fill the 3 for 2 offer and it looked ok. Ico you lot don't stop going on about so I figured I best check it out! I really only wanted the Space Invaders game for my SHMUP collection.

D'you pick'em up in Game-exchange?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    D'you pick'em up in Game-exchange?

Nope, Gamestop in The Pav. I stand corrected by the way, the game I actually bought was Oni 2, not Ico. :o

Anyway regardless, I don't care for the other games, I just wanted the Space Invaders one for my SHMUP (and SHMUP-related) collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

So I've won an auction for a Gamecube Broadband Adapter.

Anyone here used one before?
    Any good?
    Any cool hacks you can do with it?

Just a heads up for bargain hunters, Tesco in Baille Briggin has XBOX 360 games on sale for €10 each.

Tonight I picked up Alan Wake and Metro 2022.

There's a few other titles plus DS, PS3 and Wii titles. Well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Not precisely retro but I picked up SuperMario Galaxy 2 guide book brand new sealed for €2 in HMV, happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Picked up Lotus turbo challenge in a charity shop in Dun Laoghaire. Moreso for the novelty of finding a megadrive game in a charity shop. And it was €2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Couple of recent bits, got two nes, 3 controllers, lightgun and a bunch of games. they all need a good clean, but thats all part of the fun!

IMG_8402.jpg

IMG_8403.jpg

Also i know this isnt retro buts its pretty cool. Press kit for infamous2, comes in an aged retro looking lost and found envelope with an evidence bag of photos etc. best part,... a wallet with recipts, money, ID, and newspaper clips and a BISA card haha.. awesome.

IMG_8404.jpg

IMG_8406.jpg

• Advertisement

Is that Rainbow Islands? Love that game, though my favorite is Parasol Stars, apparently the PC Engine version is the best so I'll be looking for that first. Any ideas if it's pricy anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Dam you keithgeo I ment to type 50 but entered 40 by mistake. :mad:. DON'T ASK. Well congrats good deal......You fought long and hard my friend.....

haha yeh i seen your comment on there alright! FYI both the nes' dont work at the minute, flashing grey on and off and they where filthy! Ive just bought two new 72pins and will give them all, including the games and controllers etc a good clean.

Picked up Tanchu Shadow Assassins on PSP for €5 which was nice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

batari wrote: »
    Well you could argue that Nintendo did the same to Atari when the Nes arrived, making sure certain game companies would only release their games for Nintendo for a certain time-frame to top sales.
    Helped knock the 7800 out of competition with them, not that it would have made a difference regardless imo.

Swings and roundabouts.
    If I remember rightly Atari had an option to market the NES as an atari console in the US , they declined and Nintendo basically ended up owning the console market in the states from the mid eighties to the early nineties...
    Its a real "what if.." scenario that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If I remember rightly Atari had an option to market the NES as an atari console in the US , they declined and Nintendo basically ended up owning the console market in the states from the mid eighties to the early nineties...
    Its a real "what if.." scenario that...

Imagine that, the NES with a big Atari logo on the top and wood panelling on the sides.

/shudder!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I heard that Atari only wanted the rights to the NES so that they could sit on them and not release the console thus taking out a competitor. When nintendo got wind of this they told Atari where to stick it so I doubt we would have ever seen an Atari NES. There are Mattel branded NES machines out there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Oracle of the Seasons for GBC. Now I just need to find Oracle of the ages. Also got Super Mario history CD and booklet mint for 2 Euro.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I heard that Atari only wanted the rights to the NES so that they could sit on them and not release the console thus taking out a competitor. .
    probably.
    Still though ....betcha the "other" universe in Fringe has them, in all their grey plastic and wood panel glory..;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nope, the Walternate/Fauxlivia universe probably has next gen Odyssey machines! With VR helmets as standard! So your attention is diverted when the amber your ass!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can we make references to some 'good' TV series next time :P

Master of the Universe

Any time I hear someone mention the show Fringe I automatically think it's about hair dressers.

Every time I hear Fringe I chuckle to myself thinking about how let downthe people that still watch it will be when it finishes and JJ Abrams redefines the meaning of the word disappointment yet again.

So collected Ico and also got Maximo (awaits retr0 to tell me how bad it is) earlier. Sadly no art cards but it is the original cardboard box edition and also can't complain as it was a tenner for both.

I liked Maximo. It's bastard hard though and the sequel is better. Not sure if it has aged well since when I did play it it was on a PS2 starved of new titles.

Picked up 2 games for the Philips Videopac in Rage today while I was waiting for the girlfriend to finish the marathon thing.

Games 11 and 22, or Cosmic Conflict and Space Monster as they're known to us humans.
    Boxes in decent condition and the carts themselves are in real mint condition. €9.99 each.

dsc4275y.jpg
    dsc4276.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Can we make references to some 'good' TV series next time :P

Ah Fringe is moderately entertaining trash for the most part. Except for when they're talking about Soul Magnets. Facepalm.

Hardly high art, but there mid season two to mid season three was damn good TV.

I really really like Fringe, not sure what should qualify as "good" tv, hereabouts that seems to be an animated show featuring one or all of the following...
    a: Robots
    b: Men in Robot Suits
    c: Fictional Creatures who are enslaved, live in a ball and fight each other for the entertainment of their juvenile handlers
    d: High schooler, effeminate boys who fancy girls but who find themselves battling demons when not discussing "feelings"

Give me Fringe any day....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I really really like Fringe, not sure what should qualify as "good" tv, hereabouts that seems to be an animated show featuring one or all of the following...
    a: Robots
    b: Men in Robot Suits
    c: Fictional Creatures who are enslaved, live in a ball and fight each other for the entertainment of their juvenile handlers
    d: High schooler, effeminate boys who fancy girls but who find themselves battling demons when not discussing "feelings"

Give me Fringe any day....

Please check your account. I've sent you 500 internets for the above post :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

If that was Japanese and had dating sim elements, it would probably be the best television programme that ever existed.

As is, it's merely the second best Joss Whedon programme.

My lovely gameboy pocket arrived from Japan today which was very fast considering I only bought it on thursday or friday last week. Box is in better condition than it looked in the auction. Never actually held or seen a pocket before and didn't realise how small they were!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just got Terranigma in post this morning. Cart only though :(
    Steadily working my way through SNES rpgs.
    Does anyone know if this is any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 8bit Diva

My first time in The RAGE shop in Dublin at the weekend.
    Got myself a SNES and Mario All stars after spending an hour finding the place :eek:

I like the shop but I did feel a bit weird as it seems like very much a boys shop or maybe that's just the vibe I got on the day.
    They seemed surprised to see a girl buying retro games and stuff :p

But I will go back again.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Supposed to be really good.

8bit Diva wrote: »
    My first time in The RAGE shop in Dublin at the weekend.
    Got myself a SNES and Mario All stars after spending an hour finding the place :eek:

I like the shop but I did feel a bit weird as it seems like very much a boys shop or maybe that's just the vibe I got on the day.
    They seemed surprised to see a girl buying retro games and stuff :p

But I will go back again.

I always feel like im not Cool enough to be in there haha..

Edit: do kids say "cool" these days ?? ;)

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    I always feel like im not Cool enough to be in there haha..

Edit: do kids say "cool" these days ?? ;)

Haha, me too.
    Maybe if I buy a fedora and brown tatty jacket I'll be back in the cool crowd.
    Or I could wear some skinny jeans that crush my man bits into an unnatural configuration. Or maybe I'll just stay the way I am, I'm cool, Right?

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »

I love buying Snes RPGs, but having to change the batteries drives me a bit mental. I don't know if you saw, but a while ago Enternow put battery holders in about 10 or 15 carts for me. So in another 10 years or so it'll just be a matter of popping some new ones in without having to worry about breaking out a soldering iron.

I've been there a good few times with Sera and there's been some nerds looking at the games so I didn't feel out of place.

I've been there a good few times with Sera and there's been some nerds looking at the games so I didn't feel out of place.

That was me! Im that Nerd! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I can just picture you shaking your head and sighing when someone goes to pick up a "hasn't aged well/less than 60fps FPS" game. :p:p

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I love buying Snes RPGs, but having to change the batteries drives me a bit mental. I don't know if you saw, but a while ago Enternow put battery holders in about 10 or 15 carts for me. So in another 10 years or so it'll just be a matter of popping some new ones in without having to worry about breaking out a soldering iron.

Is it hard to do that? I have a few snes games, they seem to be working ok at the minute, i dont fancy risking it on them though if its difficult. I actually have a few of the batterys i bought at home, can you just slip them out and put new ones in?

Master of the Universe

keithgeo wrote: »
    Is it hard to do that? I have a few snes games, they seem to be working ok at the minute, i dont fancy risking it on them though if its difficult. I actually have a few of the batterys i bought at home, can you just slip them out and put new ones in?

As it is currently with your carts, you can pop the battery off the battery connector legs with a knife and tape a new one back on. It's very easy to do. This works fine and I did it for years. The only cart I ever had trouble with was Super Mario world. The battery connector legs had a huge solder stamp point that I couldn't break with a knife.

Anyway, I wanted something a little bit more professional though. Especially with my RPGs!

So what Enternow did was solder those CR2032 battery holders where a normal battery with legs goes. And now I can just slip a new one in when they go dead.

It took a while to find ones small enough to fit. Here's a link to the ones he used -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-Vertical-lead-Battery-Holder-CR2032-CR2025-20mm-/130498349446?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e624ec986

He did the same with some of my Megadrive RPGs too.

By the way, I'm not advocating him doing it again, (as he's out of the modding business). Just thought he deserved being credited for it :D

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I can just picture you shaking your head and sighing when someone goes to pick up a "hasn't aged well/less than 60fps FPS" game. :p:p

I had to hold my tongue when I was buying Conkers Bad Fur Day and the guys were telling me how great it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/07/coming-this-september-the-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-collection-for-ps3/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ico_shadow_060711

5805882298_a25e3aa3eb.jpg
    I’m excited to share a great bit of news that I know many of you have been eagerly awaiting! The ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection will be hitting stores starting September 27th, 2011 for $39.99 (MSRP). Featuring two of the most beloved video games of all time from famed visionary Fumito Ueda and his talented team of developers, this collection is a must-have for gamers.

5805345753_46183da394.jpg
    ICO and Shadow of the Colossus have never looked or sounded this good. Both games have been re-mastered to support full 1080p HD resolution for a stunning, razor-sharp presentation, as well as full stereoscopic 3D support to bring the games to life in a brand new dimension. You’ll also be able to enjoy the games in up to 7.1 surround sound this time around, and unlock Trophies as you master, or re-master, these video game classics.

5805320743_a946838266_z.jpg
    The development team is hard at work to meet and exceed expectations for The Last Guardian, so this collection is the perfect remedy to tide you over until the team’s latest gaming masterpiece is ready.

Look for more information about this collection coming in the months ahead.

Sort of retro but picked up Metroid prime trilogy collectors edition for €15 in Tesco. It's not the steel case edition but still is a bargain at €15 and it goes for a lot more on ebay.

Now the question is do I keep it sealed, as I have MP 1&2 on the cube or rip it open?

Feck it, I'm opening it. I don't ever want to become one of those sealed game people!

Feck it, I'm opening it. I don't ever want to become one of those sealed game people!

I'm proud of you. Open it and never play it thats my favourite way of doing things

Picked up Excitebike on 3DS for free:D

pdbhp wrote: »
    I'm proud of you. Open it and never play it thats my favourite way of doing things

Rip open seal, maul the cover, chew the manuals, scratch the disc and leave it on the shelf :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement