Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rip open seal, maul the cover, chew the manuals, scratch the disc and leave it on the shelf :P

/reconsiders giving Atavan loads of cool games for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »
    /reconsiders giving Atavan loads of cool games for free.

Aw man! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've been there a good few times with Sera and there's been some nerds looking at the games so I didn't feel out of place.

Havn't they fit mirrors all over that place recently?
    So what Enternow did was solder those CR2032 battery holders where a normal battery with legs goes. And now I can just slip a new one in when they go dead.

By the way, I'm not advocating him doing it again, (as he's out of the modding business). Just thought he deserved being credited for it :D

Here's how I did it incase anyone wants to folow suit, its very easy & is a nice improvement. I'm not permanently retired, just temp :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

EnterNow wrote: »
    Havn't they fit mirrors all over that place recently?

Here's how I did it incase anyone wants to folow suit, its very easy & is a nice improvement. I'm not permanently retired, just temp :D

This may be a stupid question....but why do you have to change the batteries? :confused:

Master of the Universe

RedXIV wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question....but why do you have to change the batteries? :confused:

Cart with saves = cr2032 battery. These run out after about 10-15 years. Some may still be going, but they'll die eventually. Meaning no more way to save your progress. Pretty crippling for RPGs!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

They're used to store save games and die over time. Least I think that's why. :)

Cart with saves = cr2032 battery. These run out after about 10-15 years. Some may still be going, but they'll die eventually. Meaning no more way to save your progress. Pretty crippling for RPGs!

....:eek: must start investigating my games!!!

Master of the Universe

Every single Snes game I've seen with a save feature has a battery. This ranges from Super Mario World, to Mario All Stars, Zelda, Metroid, RPGs like Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana, everything.

There was one oddity Enternow discovered with a Megadrive cart though..I think it was Sonic 3? It had an FRAM chip rather than a battery to save games. All the other Megadrive ones he did had CR2032 batteries though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Apologies for the size of the pics, but my new backlit DMG arrived yesterday! Has a yellow biverted backlight and pro-sound mod. Pics don't do justice to the contrast that the screen has due to the biversion.

GB3_1.jpg
    GB3_2.jpg
    GB3_3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

ghostchant wrote: »
    Apologies for the size of the pics, but my new backlit DMG arrived yesterday! Has a yellow biverted backlight and pro-sound mod. Pics don't do justice to the contrast that the screen has due to the biversion.
    I not really crazy into collecting Game Boys but am thinking about getting more of them.

So what exactly is a yellow biverted screen mod and what's involved in doing the pro-sound mod.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I not really crazy into collecting Game Boys but am thinking about getting more of them.

So what exactly is a yellow biverted screen mod and what's involved in doing the pro-sound mod.

The idea behind the pro-sound mod is that you bi-pass the gameboy's in-built amplifier. In the above it's done by placing a new 1/8" jack but can be done through the headphone jack too (also RCA, 1/4" jack and maybe more) It's mainly used for recording or playing music through an external (i.e. higher quality) amp. I've been slowly but surely getting to grips with chiptune music so that's why I'm interested in that mod.

The screen mod is mainly done for people performing gigs, where lighting isn't great. But there's also the benefit to gaming. A standard backlight on a DMG looks ok but there's the contrast issue, where games still aren't particularly easy to play on it. An inversion is when you rotate the polarising film at the back of the screen (which gives you a 'negative' of the original image), and increases the contrast. A biversion is when you also invert the signal being sent to the screen, bringing it back to the 'standard' display while also getting the contrast boost.

So biversion = physical inversion + data inversion = standard display + better contrast

The yellow part is a matter of choice, I went with blue and pink in the past: (blue one is inverted, pink is biverted)
    gameboys2.jpg

ghostchant wrote: »
    The idea behind the pro-sound mod is that you bi-pass the gameboy's in-built amplifier. In the above it's done by placing a new 1/8" jack but can be done through the headphone jack too (also RCA, 1/4" jack and maybe more) It's mainly used for recording or playing music through an external (i.e. higher quality) amp. I've been slowly but sure getting to grips with chiptune music so that's why I'm interested in that mod.

The screen mod is mainly done for people performing gigs, where lighting isn't great. But there's also the benefit to gaming. A standard backlight on a DMG looks ok but there's the contrast issue, where games still aren't particularly easy to play on it. An inversion is when you rotate the polarising film at the back of the screen (which gives you a 'negative' of the original image), and increases the contrast. A biversion is when you also invert the signal being sent to the screen, bringing it back to the 'standard' display while also getting the contrast boost.

So biversion = physical inversion + data inversion = standard display + better contrast

The yellow part is a matter of choice, I went with blue and pink in the past: (blue one is inverted, pink is biverted)

Hmm, very interesting. I'm gonna have to look into getting a few of them I think.
    Is there a website or other source that's best to get these or is it just try find them on ebay or send them off to be modded etc.

There's a few websites alright:

This is who I got the latest one off. Nice guy and very quick.
    http://thursdaycustoms.bigcartel.com/

Nonfinite and kitsch are two well-known sites but aren't currently doing mods it seems. I got the pocket off nonfinite though.
    http://www.nonelectronics.com/index.php
    http://store.kitsch-bent.com/

(just try not to get too distracted by the everdrives in the last one :) )

The blue one was done by another guy on another site but I couldn't recommend him, his communication and speed were woeful.

And of course there's always ebay, or getting the parts and doing the mods yourself (I'm planning on dusting off my soldering iron and my introductory electronics lab skills from the first couple years of college and getting a start on that soon)

My jap copy of Naruto on the cube arrived this morning :D Must order more Japanese things! Postage is fairly quick from there these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Some codemasters carts use eprom to save,there was a rough list of what carts used what compiled here-

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1792817

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

My Atari Arrived, works perfect! 12£ not bad!

IMG_8407.jpg

keithgeo wrote: »
    My Atari Arrived, works perfect! 12£ not bad!

Looks in decent condition as well.

yep its in great condition, has the manuals for both console and the games.

In very nice condition indeed! the 2600 jr is a lovely console.

have to admit im not really up on my ataris, this is actually the first one ive ever owned! Is that a jnr?

Im also picking up a 29" Sony Trintron TV tomorrow too.

• Advertisement

Yep, it's the re-design of the 2600. The first 2600 looks like this:

atari-2600-d.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah the woodies are lovely, and that's not a first one, this is
    atari2600.jpg

The one you posted is the later 4 switch, whilst the first gen is a six switch, the four switch has the other two mounted on the rear of the console.
    The first gen is also known as a Heavy Sixer, and I have one, which is nice!

Don't worry Atavan, it's an easy, amateur, casual collectors mistake... ;)

Well if you want to be picky about it :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I think the series of them went something like
    Heavy sixer (wood panels -six flip switches on top and a shed load of RF shielding inside so its much heavier than the norm)
    Them lads were the early versions produced in the US , they're probably more Gen 0 than gen 1..they have the heavy RF shielding in as the proper working parts werent in , they hadnt been rated by the FCC in the states and needed to make sure they didnt cause interference to any other devices.They were all made in sunnvale in the states and are all NTSC (there are PAL machines that use the same mold, but they're not heavies...much debate over at Atari Age over this though)....anyway..

light sixer (wood panel six switches)
    woody (wood panel four switches on top)
    vader (all black four switches on top)
    Junior (small black , redesigned with a long silver rainbow on top)
    Alternate junior (black strip , tiny rainbow in the centre , only sold in Ireland apparently)

For all my Atari lovin' I've only got a Light sixer , and I still have to get around to getting a new power supply for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hey!
    Kerbdog did that back in 1985, playing Chequered Flag on the Speccy!
    He was on a stool in front of the tv playing the pack in game with the Spectrum 48k, you had to play on the keys as well, no joystick, and he was leaning into every corner, bear in mind he was only 4, and then over he went, it was priceless!!

Damit man, just saw this now! Remember, I have the power to cut your tinternets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Junior (small black , redesigned with a long silver rainbow on top)...

Had one of those, still remember the advert;

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A day for.corrections, I have a light sixer, I love it still though, sold my Vader though, may regret that in years to come.... :(

Master of the Universe

I think I'm already starting to regret selling one of my 2600s. :(

No! It had to go!

Gr, it's like parting with children. Children that don't give you cheek.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Im also picking up a 29" Sony Trintron TV tomorrow too.

Seriously!? I can find the buggers anywhere?!

Master of the Universe

Seriously!? I can find the buggers anywhere?!

I'm hoarding them all! :D I wish. No house can contain more than one of those monsters at a time. It would collapse under the weight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got Dungeon Keeper off GoG yesterday and from the virtual console I got Kirby 64, Pokemon Snap and Ogre Battle 64.

This means I've only 3 more games left to get to complete my N64 collection of games worth playing. Although I still want Superman 64 but not exactly worth playing :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

What 3 games have you left to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

All Retr0 wants is this. And c'mon, who doesn't?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Glover, Rocket on Wheels and the elusive Goemon 2.

I got Glover a couple of years ago, its mental, very clever, perhaps too clever, I'll keep an eye out for a copy.

All three aren't that hard to find, just trying to get Goemon 2 for a price I deem reasonable is tough!

A day for.corrections, I have a light sixer,.... :(

me too , it doesnt make us any less manly though*

Got Virtua Racing in the post this morning, it's the US version.
    So that's a few copies of the game I have now,
    I have it on the Saturn, 32X, Megadrive, Genesis and PS2 (as part of the Sega Classics Collection).
    It is also second only to the 32X to give the most arcade like feel, the version on the Saturn was pitiful and the PS2 edition just felt all wrong.

I got the NTSC version so I could play it on the Nomad, there were some conflicting reports about whether the game would work at all, given the altered internal hardware of the Nomad and the fact that the game is confirmed as not working on the Genesis 3.

So, popped it in the machine and, Happy Days!, it works great!
    Now all I need is the recharge pak mod and I'll be the happiest gamer in the village!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Glover, Rocket on Wheels and the elusive Goemon 2.

I didn't even know there was a Goemon 2, elusive is right! I had Glover way back when it first released, nostalgia tells me it was great but I've no idea if it would still hold up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Now all I need is the recharge pak mod and I'll be the happiest gamer in the village!

Get your hands on an Everdrive aswell and make the Nomad experience complete! :)

Sorry, no Everdrive for me, fundage finally gone, I have to replace the PS3 at some point, just traded in a load of games for it there to get Pokemon White for my sons birthday. Getting the 360 fixed for definite though.
    Ah well, the Blurays will just have to go into storage!

Couple of Ebay purchases arrived today.

Guinness Disc of Records for CD32 still sealed and game 4(Air-Sea war/Battle) for the Philips Videopac. Unfortunately it turns out the Videopac I got in The RAGE is dead so its going back on Saturday for a full refund and I'll need to pick up another one on Ebay:( They were cool about it and offered the refund right away so fair play to them. I was cheeky though and asked if I can keep the box, will see what they say :D

dsc4289oz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

got fear effect 2 for a pound!!!

Went to visit balbriggan Tescoes and took a look in Gamestop not expecting anything like the first time I visited. Ended up leaving with a bit of a haul.

Got Loco Roco 2, The World Ends With You, Space Channel 5, eh... Red Ninja (it was 3 for 2 and the most interesting out of a pile of ****e so shut up!) and the one I'm most happy with, Taito Legends 2!

All for the 29 euro.

Also there's a copy of Gradius Collection in there for 9.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Picked up a Japanese Gameboy game in the Rage today €5.
    Don't know what it is yet so it'll be a nice suprise for this evening:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Its not retro but seeing as how everyone else is sharing, I got Darksiders in HMV for E3.60 thanks to cunning use of a 10 year old voucher, it was made out in old Irish pounds and everything.

pdbhp wrote: »
    Picked up a Japanese Gameboy game in the Rage today €5.
    Don't know what it is yet so it'll be a nice suprise for this evening:D
    They'll usually let you try them out on a GB (if they have any for sale at the time)in store you know:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Its not retro but seeing as how everyone else is sharing, I got Darksiders in HMV for E3.60 thanks to cunning use of a 10 year old voucher, it was made out in old Irish pounds and everything.
    I thought all them vouchers had a "use by date"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I got this on Friday in Rage. I was originally just collecting old games to rebuild the collection I once had. But that idea has expanded slightly.

I never owned this game but played it a ton as my friend had it on his N64. Not the best in the series by any means but I got it for nostalgic reasons. It is in terrific condition too.

5822292229_8b2b97f4c0.jpg

I remember that the world was divided into those who thought Fifa on the MD and Snes were the greatest football games ever and those who knew that ISS Deluxe on the Snes and MD was the greatest football game of the age and that Fifa lovers were pathetic sell outs!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement