Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I remember that the world was divided into those who thought Fifa on the MD and Snes were the greatest football games ever and those who knew that ISS Deluxe on the Snes and MD was the greatest football game of the age and that Fifa lovers were pathetic sell outs!

Both of those camps were wrong, SWOS on the Amiga was the finest footy game of that "age". Fact. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So, yesterday morning went and checked out the carboot sale in tallaght and nothing was to be found. Then I remembered there was a garden fete on just up the road from me and they have a big jumble sale at it every week so went up and had a look. Feck all games wise apart from this which I nabbed for a fiver :D

IMG_0142.jpg

In very nice condition except the glue has worn away on the metal plate on the front which is not an issue at all :)

There was also a boxed one of these, I'd assume in the same condition but some kid got it. Damn kids!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice find! Donkey Kong Jr. Game and Watch is one of the best ones and still really playable. Sera got me one of the micro ones from lidl and it still gets played every now and again, it's really aged well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Both of those camps were wrong, SWOS on the Amiga was the finest footy game of that "age". Fact. :p

True that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

swos was a work of art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Lovely find Atavan! Just so you're aware, that's probably worth about €50. Maybe even more because it's so complete.

There are none on ebay at the moment. Not even ebay.com. The last boxed one sold for 38 pounds, but that only had the cardboard, no box insert or booklet

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-game-watch-Donkey-Kong-Junior-and-box-jr-/140560501775?pt=UK_Collectables_Vintage_RL&hash=item20ba0f0c0f

I can't see any CIB ones like your in ebay completed listings at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Two word review of your purchase,

Jammy Git!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ive yet to find one retro thing at a car boot\fair yet. and when i say not one, i mean i havent even seen anything older than a ps2 with buzz controllers.

Master of the Universe

**** yes!!!! YES!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220794972539&ssPageName=ADME:B:ONA:GB:1123&autorefresh=true

I went to put my bid in with 15 seconds to go - ebay asked me to enter my password. Ah!!!!!!!

I put my password in - WRONG BLOODY PASSWORD! REALIZED AS I PRESSED ENTER! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Logged in again at light speed - check the time stamp of my bid. Got it in with with 3 seconds to go. Almost had a heart attack :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice one :) Wish I had those wads of cash to blow on ebay!

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nice one :) Wish I had those wads of cash to blow on ebay!

So do I! was meant to be keeping that money for OOT 3D and Duke Nukem Forever, but I reckon Duke with drop like a stone in price so might wait a while. Plus I've wanted PDS for forever now.

There is one horrible nasty thing attached to this. Remember I put most of my consoles and games up in my grandparents attic? Yeah, the Saturn was one of them.

Ah well, I can look at the box and reminisce about my last play through :D

Very nice purchase there o1s! I'll wait until my copy of PD Orta arrives then consider blowing wads of cash on Saga :P

Bit of a large retro haul today, 1 suitcase and a large bag full.

Will go through all the stuff and see what I have a bit later. Will post a few pics as well.

dsc4292b.jpg

Where'd you get all that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cots1

This is truly one of the most evil of threads who gets a suitcase of retro goodness

Where'd you get all that?!

Picked it up off a guy down the country who was moving house and didn't want to take any of it with him.

I made him an indecent proposal/offer ;)

Ok, lots of stuff in this batch of retroness.
    It all needs a good clean but is in mostly great condition.
    The pictures don't do justice to some of the stuff that's in fantastic condition.

Sorry if the pics are a bit large but I wanted you to be able to see the stuff without me taking 30 or 40 pics :)

First up are the NES games:

dsc4294.jpg

Now the Megadrive games:
    dsc4295.jpg

Now some consoles and a few other bits:
    dsc4296n.jpg

And some controllers and other things:
    dsc4298v.jpg

There's also a load of PSU's/video cables and other boring stuff that I wont post.

lovely stuff i give you a offer of fiver for lot including delivery :).

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Wowza, that's a hell of a lot of stuff for just one deal. Even got yourself a Barcode Battler! Is Landstalker for the Megadrive complete? And is that a NES 72 pin connector I see?

Note the wireless md controller box,and nes punch out with mr dream..

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wowza, that's a hell of a lot of stuff for just one deal. Even got yourself a Barcode Battler! Is Landstalker for the Megadrive complete? And is that a NES 72 pin connector I see?

Yes, landstalker is complete and that is a spare 72 pin alright. The NES already had it's 72 pin replaced and this is just a spare one he had(he bought two of them a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Brill find congrats on that, but be honest Steve SI, you had to buy the complete lot just to get the 3do joypad. ;)....

I will have a Nes Zapper of you if the price is right..:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sonic 1 boxed? Don't tell me its complete too...

Brill find congrats on that, but be honest Steve SI, you had to buy the complete lot just to get the 3do joypad. ;)....

Haha, you got me.
    Well, the 3DO pad and the the 2 commodore 64 games (Myth and Judge Dredd).

:)

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Sonic 1 boxed? Don't tell me its complete too...

Yeah, it is. I even got another Sonic 1 cart with it but the label is badly torn but it works fine. I think all the boxed games are complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah, it is. I even got another Sonic 1 cart with it but the label is badly torn but it works fine. I think all the boxed games are complete.

Just kidding, we have a bit of a thing for rare Sonic 1's CIB here (ebay tossers) :p Joking aside, an incredible haul, truly nice find. I won't ask you directly, but was it all relatively cheaper than one would expect??

EnterNow wrote: »
    Just kidding, we have a bit of a thing for rare Sonic 1's CIB here (ebay tossers) :p Joking aside, an incredible haul, truly nice find. I won't ask you directly, but was it all relatively cheaper than one would expect??

It was very reasonable priced actually.
    I didn't pay per item, I made him an cash offer for everything and I think he was happy enough to get rid of it all in one go, and get a nice lump of money.

I had to provide my own suitcase and bag though :D

Some of the stuff is doubles and triples of what I already have so I'll probably trade some of it or stick a few bits on adverts once I get around to cleaning and testing everything. The Megadrive/MegaCD 2 for example is something I already have 2 of and don't really need.

ah the cleaning process.. my favourite part.. haha..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

keithgeo wrote: »
    ah the cleaning process.. my favourite part.. haha..

Don't forget the sugar soap!

I'm actually thinking of giving my Dreamcast a bleach bath, anyone tried one?

• Advertisement

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Don't forget the sugar soap!

I'm actually thinking of giving my Dreamcast a bleach bath, anyone tried one?

I have a saying "If it was once white, use retr0brite".

My brother has bleached a few consoles and some end up ok(a NES), but others end up in bits because the bleach melts off the outer layer of plastic and leaves it very porous (a dreamcast).

It all depends on what bleach you use I suppose and how long the plastic is exposed to the chemicals.

Most of this stuff I got will come up nice and clean with a little bit of anti bacterial alcohol fluid and/or a bit of anti static cleaner and a small helping of elbow grease. I only clean my retro bits with a special cloth I get in outdoor shops. It's actually supposed to be a travel/camping towel that dries super fast but it is great for cleaning stuff without leaving fibres behind or making any marks on plastic.

I'm a bit mental when it comes to this sort of thing :(

I used bleach once, on a megadrive controller.. it was a last resort though because for some strange reason the guy had decided to paint the controller white with tipex! It got it all off in fairness but it kinda had a washed cloudy look after it was done so it was destined for the bin. kept the insides though, you never know when you need spares!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wowza, that's a hell of a lot of stuff for just one deal. Even got yourself a Barcode Battler!

Ooh... I have one of them lying about somewhere (pretty sure it's boxed too) used to love it when I was younger but had no idea they were actually well known, I thought it was just some obscure thing I found.

Ooh... I have one of them lying about somewhere (pretty sure it's boxed too) used to love it when I was younger but had no idea they were actually well known, I thought it was just some obscure thing I found.

Yeah, in Ireland most people got them by collecting tokens from Cornflakes or some other cereal and sending away for it. Or maybe it was a deal Quinnsworth had, I cant really remember exactly as it was a little while ago :)

But they were very popular in Japan and they had a version with some connectivity with the Famicom/Super Famicom I think.

Edit:
    They have a bit on it over on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode_Battler

Master of the Universe

They were pretty big when I was in primary school. I think Tesco were giving them away with shopping vouchers or something like that.

I never did get one :(

/Edit- No you're right Steve, it was Quinnsworth!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was training in Sligo, back in 91 when they took off, as was said Quinnsworth were involved in the promotion but the dawning of the Megadrive killed it off completely, also the Gameboy really took off and who wanted to play with a Barcode Battler when you could play with a GB?

If you want a zapper I'm sure we can come to an agreement :)
    It's not like I didn't get enough of them, even a boxed one in this haul.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Got that nice haul from Alpha (thanks again mate) today , AND
    I got this from a sound guy on adverts for a tenner
    879120aa.jpg
    originally listed with 3 games but he threw in a load of unboxed ones as well :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Steve SI wrote: »
    I have a saying "If it was once white, use retr0brite".

My brother has bleached a few consoles and some end up ok(a NES), but others end up in bits because the bleach melts off the outer layer of plastic and leaves it very porous (a dreamcast).

It all depends on what bleach you use I suppose and how long the plastic is exposed to the chemicals.

Most of this stuff I got will come up nice and clean with a little bit of anti bacterial alcohol fluid and/or a bit of anti static cleaner and a small helping of elbow grease. I only clean my retro bits with a special cloth I get in outdoor shops. It's actually supposed to be a travel/camping towel that dries super fast but it is great for cleaning stuff without leaving fibres behind or making any marks on plastic.

I'm a bit mental when it comes to this sort of thing :(

I was looking this up on the c64 forums , apparantly vanish oxy whatever it is and UV light is supposedly great for reviving yellowed plastics , although that may only work for c64'cs :)(aha looks like that stuff is the basis for retro brite!)

It was Quinnsworth that was doing a competition giving loads of them away to promote them. I remember it was a competition because I was so annoyed that I was one of the few that didn't win one.

I remember stories in the papers about japanese kids cutting the barcodes off of products in stores whenever a particularly powerful character was found.

• Advertisement

It was Quinnsworth that was doing a competition giving loads of them away to promote them. I remember it was a competition because I was so annoyed that I was one of the few that didn't win one.

I remember stories in the papers about japanese kids cutting the barcodes off of products in stores whenever a particularly powerful character was found.

I kind of remember having to save up tokens or do something to get one of these from Quinnsworth. Are you sure it was a competition.

Think you saved up tokens and were then put in a draw.

Think you saved up tokens and were then put in a draw.

ahhh, I see.

It was about as much fun as the stamp collecting kit I got by saving my Corn Flake tokens, and around the same time as well probably.

Now I could be wrong it was a very long time ago!

Now I could be wrong it was a very long time ago!

I feel old reading about these, as i remember them, but my younger brother was the one after it!

Not exactly really retro but my Wii Classic Controller Pro (Non OEM as they put it on the eBay auction) arrived today from Hong Kong.
    And as with most stuff we get from Hong Kong its a dodgy knock off of the real controller.

It feels light but not as cheap feeling as I thought it would considering it cost £2 plus £1.50 postage.
    Only took 4 days to get here as well so that was quick enough I thought.

dsc4300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

I know it's not retro, but your able to play retro games on it and it was bought to play a classic! :D

5830316763_1ae8199a63.jpg
    Nintendo 3DS by evanSpiddal, on Flickr

Got this in the post today, won it on eBay for €160 with the game! Its a US version but it's handy to get games for it online. Have Ocarina of Time prebooked on videogamesplus.ca so can't wait to get it and start playing!

Panzer dragoon orta arrived yesterday morning :) Don't know when I'll get around to playing it but glad to finally have it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Panzer dragoon orta arrived yesterday morning :) Don't know when I'll get around to playing it but glad to finally have it.

A damn good game! On a bit of an 'on rails shooter' buzz at the moment, so might pull that out again as it's one of the best.

Just a word of warning - the backwards compatibility for Orta on 360 is straight up broken. You get two or three levels in and the game just crashes. So just stick with old phatty to get your dragon based kicks :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

PDS Orta and Steel Batalion are the only reasons I've still hung onto an original Xbox.

Orta is great. I found it suprisingly hard once you get into it a bit. Much harder than Rez.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement