Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

was at one today, just the usual rubbish. as psone with 5 games for 25quid, spotted a c64 light gun and tapedeck. MGS1 on psone missing disc1 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah there was 2 PS1's today. Really do not need any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Picked up Big Bang Mini DS brand new for €9.

Gamespot in the Square still has some PS2 games and Game in the Square has loads of PS2 games, some good ones aswell MegaMann X7 etc.might go back up and clean them out:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

pdbhp wrote: »
    Picked up Big Bang Mini DS brand new for €9.

That is a brilliant game, enjoy it!

Pyongyang wrote: »
    That is a brilliant game, enjoy it!

Well I've been on the look out for it for ages amongst other shmups. Really trying to get a nice little shmup collection going at the moment

A person after my own heart. :o

Collecting SHMUPs is addictive, but wildly expensive. One minute you have a Dreamcast, a few weeks later you have a Dreamcast a PS1 a PS2 a Saturn and the God of SHMUPs........
    The PC Engine!

You also end up buying NEC 9801 games you haven't a hope of ever playing. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

think the saturn had the best shoot em ups :).

Ah I'd say it's a close call between the two. The PC Engine had Sapphire, the Saturn had Radiant Silvergun. Level pegging pretty much I think. :)

Ah I'd say it's a close call between the two. The PC Engine had Sapphire, the Saturn had Radiant Silvergun. Level pegging pretty much I think. :)

had alot japan only releases,besides the obvious ones,who has heard of this cracking saturn port-

Super taste mate! The thing I love most about it is the soundtrack. It sounds like it was lifted from an 80's family movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sapphire is damn expensive and it's good but it doesn't come close to the saturns best. Saturn wins it for me as well but the PC-Engine has some great shooters a lot of which I'd rank ahead of sapphire. What I like about the saturn and PC-Engine is that most of the shooters aren't bullet hell which I don't like as much as the traditional type of shooters.

Some say Batsugun is the original danmaku... Not played it yet but it looks great. Sapphire is a thing of beauty but probably more well known for it's rarity than anything else.

Gimme Mr. Heli any day!

For me the PC Engine is the better platform for SHMUP games. Why? You could argue the quality of the games was on par foreach system. But I love how what could be done with what essentially is an 8 bit machine. Couple that with the innovative coding to make Hu card games use spare RAM etc on the Super CD Rom and for me it makes the PC Engine just that little bit more special.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have Batsugun on the saturn, it doesn't seem to work well in mame. It's definitely got a lot of hallmarks from Danmaku games, it's like the missing link between Raiden and Donpachi. The weapons cover the whole screen and the bullet patterns are very danmaku and you have a tiny hit box. Great game. It was made just before Toaplan went under and as we know most of the coders went to form Cave, Raizing and other danmaku developers.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was made just before Toaplan went under and as we know most of the coders went to form Cave, Raizing and other danmaku developers.

God bless each and every one one of them. :)

For me the PC Engine is the better platform for SHMUP games. Why? You could argue the quality of the games was on par foreach system. But I love how what could be done with what essentially is an 8 bit machine. Couple that with the innovative coding to make Hu card games use spare RAM etc on the Super CD Rom and for me it makes the PC Engine just that little bit more special.

The difference between an 8-bit and 16-bit processor isn't as big as Sega would have had you believe back in 1989. Put the clock speed up and it can still do amazing things. The PC Engine had an amazing CPU backed up by some great16-bit video hardware that could turf sprites about at a tremendous rate, probably as good as the Megadrive could. Sure ports from the PC Engine to the Megadrive and Mega CD were lacking compared to the PC Engine. Gates of Thunder and Lords of Thunder on the Mega CD had to have their colour palletes reduced and look a lot duller than the PC-Engine games.

Compared to the SNES the PC-Engine was much better at throwing around sprites. Just play the SNES version of Gradius 3 or games with multi segmented bosses and watch the framerate drop spectacularly.

Out Run on the PC Engine, for me, is a perfect example and encapsulates everything you just stated above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gradius 3

Oh, I saw that before you edited. For shame retr0, for shame :P

My heads just full of Treasure at the moment :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Few bits I got during the week fom eBay and other sources.

New in box Neo Geo Pocket color (Stone Blue version):

dsc4329u.jpg
    dsc4331g.jpg

Neo Geo Pocket color games(All complete and mint)

dsc4332.jpg

Atari Lynx II and Batman Returns game:

dsc4334z.jpg

Some Megadrive games (all complete):

dsc4340.jpg

Shenmue for DC(box is a little tatty but it is new and unused) :

dsc4336o.jpg

TV Tuner for Sega Game Gear

dsc4335.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Picked up an N64 with Goldeneye, Mario64 and Magical Tetris Challenge together with a.couple of controllers.
    There was a Snes with Mario Allstars that I let go, also a c64 cart and some Ps1 games here and there, but nothing extraordinary today.
    All at the Balbriggan market.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    All at the Balbriggan market.

Based on your previous posts I went up to Baille Brigin market today too.

I saw:

An A500 Cartoon Classics system. Boxed.

2x PS2 Slim consoles. Bare bones, no cables etc.

Loads of XBOX consoles, nearly went for a crystal one.

An N64 with Goldeneye and 2 other carts. The N64 sounded in bits when you shook it though! Is that the one you bought? We probably stood next to each other looking at it!

An N64 clone with a multiple game cart.

Misc PS1 and PS2 and PC games.

I bought:

A PS1 with controller, games, leads and an AV to Scart converter I can use on my PC Engine until I mod it.

A PSOne slim, just the console, no cables, games, leads or anything.

Virtua Cop Elite for PS2.

Toki and a 4 in 1 set feat Flimbo's Quest. Both C64 carts unboxed. Toki had a manual though.

Not a bad little market that, enjoyed my first visit. :)

P.s I never saw that SNES, where was it? Was it PAL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Why didn't you buy the boxed A500?! Was it too expensive? If not, I'd at least have bought that and flogged it on ebay or adverts.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Why didn't you buy the boxed A500?! Was it too expensive? If not, I'd at least have bought that and flogged it on ebay or adverts.

I thought about it, honest. But the good woman was with me and I'd have been scowled at. I'm not lucky enough to wear the trousers when it comes to video games.

Sigh, they just don't understand... :(

...wait til she sees my new PC Engine and Saturn next week in the post though.

If I'm offline longer than a day I've either emigrated or I'll be on the RTE News at 6........being carried out of a lake.

In a body bag.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Why didn't you buy the boxed A500?! Was it too expensive? If not, I'd at least have kept that after a while
    fyp :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was there to get the A500 but it was nowhere to be found!
    The N64 is fine, someone jammed a coin side so I'll extract it later.
    The Snes was a pal one alright and you must have bought that c64 cart from the same fella.

• Advertisement

A500 is a nice machine,tight memory and now lack of floppies can be a disadvantage,hard drives+other cards could be added to the machine,of course which are now scarce and command a big price.

got Zelda Ocarina of Time on 3DS:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Trip to RAGE at lunch today (cheap lunches for the rest of the week to make up for it!)
    th_3fe2f4f9.jpg
    2 sms carts , but best of all a Spectrum Kempston interface card (the adaptor that basically lets you use a regular joystick)for a fiver :)
    may actually be able PLAY something on one of the spectrums I own now!
    Still some crazy prices on carts there , 20 quid for bubble bobble on the sms ?

Trip to RAGE at lunch today (cheap lunches for the rest of the week to make up for it!)
    th_3fe2f4f9.jpg
    2 sms carts , but best of all a Spectrum Kempston interface card (the adaptor that basically lets you use a regular joystick)for a fiver :)
    may actually be able PLAY something on one of the spectrums I own now!
    Still some crazy prices on carts there , 20 quid for bubble bobble on the sms ?

Did they still have the Sega Multi Mega in there?

If its there at the end of the week I'm going in to put an offer on it, not €175 though.

Still some crazy prices on carts there

Hence I don't go there no more. eBay and misc dedicated resources are my staples now.

I'd love to put a few bob in their coffers but they need to be a bit more realistic with their pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just got big box Super Metroid in post today. In good condition apart from one flap missing.
    Never seen a big box snes game before and it really is big!
    Also got a boxed Zelda for snes and thats a mint copy :).

Happy to say they were comparatively dirt cheap. Not happy to say what I'm comparing prices on.

You can complete the collection with a big box Earthbound. That won't cost much.....

You can complete the collection with a big box Earthbound. That won't cost much.....

Should get one for at least 20 id say.

Good luck with that :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Hence I don't go there no more. eBay and misc dedicated resources are my staples now.

I'd love to put a few bob in their coffers but they need to be a bit more realistic with their pricing.

some of the pricing isnt too bad , Super monaco was 3, shooting gallery there was 5 , and thats generally what I'm happy paying for boxed SMS stuff.
    I think rageguys rule is still "have I heard of this game/franchise? yes? quadriple price!!"
    I didnt check re the multi mega steve , tbh I didnt want to look at the back wall incase I was tempted to buy something!!

some of the pricing isnt too bad , Super monaco was 3, shooting gallery there was 5 , and thats generally what I'm happy paying for boxed SMS stuff.
    I think rageguys rule is still "have I heard of this game/franchise? yes? quadriple price!!"
    I didnt check re the multi mega steve , tbh I didnt want to look at the back wall incase I was tempted to buy something!!

If they had all the stuff from the back wall out the front it would sell so much faster. Having to ask every time I go in what they have is a pain really. I like to look at everything in a shop and I don't want to ask them to hand me all the 12 n64's and 8 snes they have etc :D

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Should get one for at least 20 id say.
    Good luck with that :)

Why cant retro games be cheap. :(

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Why cant retro games be cheap. :(

You sound like my financial advisor (aka: the good woman).

Ah it just annoys me having to buy these games for the prices of them. Secret of Mana - 40
    Turtles in time - 20
    super street fighter 2 - 20
    zelda - 20

and so on.

Thats cart only prices on ebay. I had all these games, boxes n all boxed up in a box in the attic. Went looking for them last year and there were gone. SO PAYING REALLY GETS MY GOAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Steve SI wrote: »
    Atari Lynx II and Batman Returns game:

dsc4334z.jpg

That Lynx looks in amazing condition! What's the picture like on it?

• Advertisement

batari wrote: »
    That Lynx looks in amazing condition! What's the picture like on it?

Picture quality is pretty good. Cant really remember how good a new lynx screen looks but I'd say it's close to new quality.

This lot landed in the post from the USA, Japan and the UK today (and Virtua Cop from Balbriggan market yesterday!). :)

ZUBWW.jpg

NwUIb.jpg

ohIBT.jpg

6gAyG.jpg

2tznw.jpg

Nice. Gradius V is a work of unadulterated genius and the Warriors is a great game.

Cheers. :)

Gradius V was a high ranker on my SHMUP swag list. Can't wait to get stuck in to it, my PS2 is sick though. :(

Not to worry, another PS2 is peanuts now, well worth picking up a slim for next to nothing.
    Such a great library of games on it too, amazing...

I wonder if we might have seen a groovy slimline Dreamcast had it stayed the distance?

Dreamcast was small enough as is. Far better designed than the fugly PS2. Now a Dreamcast that didn't sound like it was about to take off would have been nice.

The noisiest console in my collection has been the first 360 I owned, it sounded like a hairdryer going full tilt.
    I seem to remember some MS fanboys taking great offence to this, poor backstards!

Think the dreamcast is the noisiest for me especially when the disc is accessing.

• Advertisement

Video of my latest picks. :)

If you liked the Warriors film you'll love the game :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement