Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

After looking at some Akira blueray screenshots, it almost has me wanting to buy a player just to watch it! Looks gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Akira is a classic. For many it was the gateway to anime back in the late 80's/early 90's. I prefer the manga (which is also about 874 million times longer than the movie).

[straying OT]I got in to anime via Akira, Ah! Megamisama, Urusei Yatsura, Riding Bean and Ninja Scroll[/straying OT]

Don't watch anywhere near as enough anime as I used to though. :(

Master of the Universe

First time I saw Akira was thanks to Channel 4 in the very early 90s. I must have been about 8 or 9. My friend taped it off the tv one night and showed it to me. I'm pretty sure he just fast forwarded to all the violent parts. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Rented it out soon after in the video shop and my Akira obsession soon began. :)

Of all the anime/manga I've seen or read since, nothing tops that epic. It's just brilliant.

A close second for me is Berserk. Have you seen/read that? If you think the Akira Manga is long, this spans 30+ volumes. And it's still ongoing. I bought the first 14 volumes before realizing it would be far more economical to read PDF scans!

Master of the Universe

Got a few things in the post recently.

Slipheed (ps2)
    Last Hope (DC)
    karous (DC - unfortunately this one is a Jap region locked game. Need to burn off a region disc to switch it over to NTSC J)
    Splatterhouse (360 - curiosity got the better of me! :eek:)

Nice, I've been looking to get Last Hope and Pink Bullets but wasn't sure about them. Let us know how you get on with that one.

I have Splatterhouse, was oddly hard to get at the time. Not sure if it still is but it's a fun game, despite what the critics said about it.

I've heard of Beserk, it's on my list along with squillions of other titles I'll never get around to reading/watching/playing.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Last Hope is pretty mediocre. It looks like a Neo Geo shmup (not a bad thing), but there's something about it that just seems uninspired.

The main reason I got it was because it was on ebay.ie and the seller also had Karous..which is a lovely looking shmup. And the last ever official DC release..AND he was selling it for about half the normal going rate :)

Berserk is one of the most violent yet touching anime/manga I've ever seen. Really is a fantastic story. If there's one I'd recommend every time, it's that. Even just watch the first few episodes and you'll be hooked!

Hmm, might leave Last Hope until last then and try and nab a copy of Pink Bullets, supposedly it's much better with the makeover.

Retro on big screen thanks to this arrival today

Been meaning to order this for ages. Today I finally put in an order for:

1x Sync Strike (with case)
    1x SLG 3000 (with case)
    1x PCB Scaler (case only)

Can't wait for those to turn up now, especially with the Sync Strike finally released. Been following development of that on YouTube for an age. Should work nicely with my RGB'd Duo-R!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have to second Beserk. Fantastic a anime. I wish they would do another series, alas maybe I should just read the manga. It's hyper violent but never seems to be hyperviolent for the sake of it. I wish anime was the same now as it was in the 80's :( Moe ruins everything it touches.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wish anime was the same now as it was in the 80's

I completely agree. I've probably watched about 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of material produced post 1997.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

5981224821_f22da853ca.jpg

5981784188_d8da7aa7ca.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have to second Beserk. Fantastic a anime. I wish they would do another series, alas maybe I should just read the manga. It's hyper violent but never seems to be hyperviolent for the sake of it. I wish anime was the same now as it was in the 80's :( Moe ruins everything it touches.

TBH there's more for me in contemporary anime than 80s stuff. Satoshi Kon, Mamorou Hosoda (heart Summer Wars so very much) and Makoto Shinkai have made some of the finest animated films of all time, adore pretty much all of their works! And can't forget Ghibli, who have a new film out on Friday :) I love Akira and Ghost in the Shell as much as the next anime fan, but I definitely deviate towards the non cyberpunkian, hyperviolent or 'big swords, big hair' stuff, as I do with all sorts of cinema. It seems unfair to me to write off contemporary anime when there's so many imaginative, innovative and engaging gems out there.

That said, I really must explore more anime shows, have only watched a handful of 'em.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh I like them as well but they just don't do anime shows and movies like they did in the 80's anymore. I'd actually say Ghibli is actually very close to the more light hearted animes of the 80's than any of the new ones. Sure I recently watched Dennou Coil and throughly enjoyed it, you should check it out or add it to your list.

safetyboy wrote: »
    5981784188_d8da7aa7ca.jpg

Was ist das? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh I like them as well but they just don't do anime shows and movies like they did in the 80's anymore. I'd actually say Ghibli is actually very close to the more light hearted animes of the 80's than any of the new ones. Sure I recently watched Dennou Coil and throughly enjoyed it, you should check it out or add it to your list.

Well it's like anything - mediums always move on. The 80s stuff is still there to enjoy, always will be. Sure, there's tonnes of absolute junk out there, but sure it was the same back then too! It's like silent film or classic gaming - we all feel the ache of nostalgia from time to time, but just because they 'don't make 'em like they used to' isn't always a bad thing. We can still watch Battleship Potemkin or play M.U.S.H.A., but it's always worth embracing 'good' change as well the past IMO. There'll always be diamonds amongst the ****.

Now you are really pulling at my heart strings with the death of the classic shmup for bullet hell. I'm not a praying man but if you can hear me Treasure please give me Gradius VI.

Now you are really pulling at my heart strings with the death of the classic shmup for bullet hell. I'm not a praying man but if you can hear me Treasure please give me Gradius VI.

Go find a Darius Burst cab, it will fill your need for pretty old school shmups!

5981988152_d64e60c7bf.jpg

Rockin deathsmiles atm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

****, I always watned to get a little danbo. Got any links to a good place to get one?

• Advertisement

****, I always watned to get a little danbo. Got any links to a good place to get one?

I found it hard to get him then found this place whilst drunken spending :)

http://shop.ebay.ie/japan_shop511/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Got to me within 8/9 days

playing my x0xb0x

5981572165_70eafb4249_z.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Picked up this lot of adverts tonight for 20quid.

IMAG0059.jpg

Got this in the door too from ebay

safebuster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

^Nice! Can the Pokemon carts still hold a save?

Very nice stuff everyone! Loving that little chap on the EX2. Very nice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Yeh looks like it, the guy who owned it previously, his games are still saved on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I picked up Split Second for the 360 for 12.99 in HMV as well as Rayman 3D for the 3DS for 17.99.
    The former is excellent, I owned it the first time around and thought it was much better than the more lauded Blur, so I bought it again after succumbing to the trade the new game in blues.
    Rayman 3D was a favourite of mine on the N64, in fact I still own it, a criminally under-appreciated game, with a really "european" art style.
    The game only gets better in 3D, although the effort is minimal in the conversion and the camera issues are still there only now they try to get your eyes to focus at very wrong objects in impossible dimensions.
    Still a game well worth the 17.99 admission fee!

Found Portal 2 still labelled 19.99 in GS in Balbriggan and ran to the counter but the minion informed me it was supposed to be 29.99 and was mispriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

This arrived today after a couple of weeks in AN Post redirection hell.

It's the 9" version.

dsc4577o.jpg

Rayman 2 on the PC and Dreamcast is one of the best looking games of that generation. Really shows what good art can do despite technical limitations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It is a game that despite the vaselino vision on the N64 looks pretty good there.
    Its a very linear platformer, no hubs here, so far more like SMB3 rather than SMW or SM64, and it's all the better for it, the levels were and still remain beautiful.
    Being cheap feckers Ubisoft have changed nothing in the 3D version bar the 3D effect, just look at the sky box to see just how cheap they are!
    As said already, it's a good thing then the source material was a cracker to begin with.
    Plenty of nice sights, no issues with the old engine making platforming hard, the game was never too punishing to start with, including infinite chances to repeat difficult scenes and ample checkpoints.
    I have to say if you own either an N64 or 3DS pick this up.
    I know its another N64 reheat but so few people played it the first time it is a must have this gen around, a gentle, colourful adventure, a reminder that Rayman used to be in games that weren't glorified minigame collections with psychopathic extraterrestrial rabbits.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

/whisper whisper - the Berserk anime is from 1997, it's not actually that old.

If you've been waiting for a new series as long as I have, this little teaser may make you happy -

I'm pretty sure it's a film project rather than a series though.

Oh, and read the Manga! It's bloody brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

The majority of Red/Blue/Yellow all should still be saving ok, it's Gold/Silver/Crystal that have crap batteries in them. The batteries are dead in most of them but are easy enough to replace.

Master of the Universe

Pokemon cart batteries are dying already? Nintendo must have used a ****ty brand!

Shame they're too small to fit a battery holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

How long would a battery last anyway?

Master of the Universe

It's really variable.

On the package they're about 4-5 years, but as I'm sure you know, lots of Megadrive and Snes games still save. Some NES carts even still save (my Zelda did last time I checked)

I guess we can just be grateful that it only kills the save feature and can be replaced easily.

Imagine it was something similar to arcade boards with suicide batteries and the carts lost encryption keys and died as a result :eek:

Master of the Universe

Finally got around to ordering Mushihimesama Futari from Play-asia. Only €27 posted. Not bad! :)

• Advertisement

Bit the bullet today, sold Band Hero and instruments for a whole €20!
    Added a tenner and bought Portal 2 in GS for 29.99.
    Only problem is I have to discipline myself not to play it until I have the first Portal game finished.
    Also, Split Second is still every bit as much fun as I remember, kinda what racers used to be like, once upon a time.

Got this coming in the mail (not from PA). :)

pa.98620.1.jpg

pa.98620.2.jpg

This also arrived today along with R-Types (PAL) for the PS1:

X6bpA.jpg

That Namco museum pack reminds me of when they were in the shops, sold here periodically over a time, letter by letter and we gamers, at the time, thinking "sure there'll be plenty of time to pick them up later", more fool us!
    I'm lucky enough to have the Capcom ps collection, 4 disks in all, in one pack. My common sense didn't fail me that time!

Picked up Metal Slug 1 and 5, KoF 98 and 99, Last Soldier (Korean version of Last Blade) and Real Bout Fatal Fury Special for MVS for €101+30 shipping on Ebay France.
    All original carts, no bootlegs.

Also grabbed one of those hyper neo geo 64 motherboards with 3 games that I linked to earlier for €26 plus a silly €37 shipping. It's a risk as he only has the cardboard box as a picture. But he seems well reviewed. Guess I will find out next week when they arrive.

Edit:
    The hyper neo geo motherboard is new/old stock as well so the price is very good for that alone. Pity they never released any decent games for it :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Did Metal Slug 5 cost you much? I have Metal Slug, 1,2,x,3 and 4. 5 is the only bloody one I haven't been able to find for a decent price! Need it to complete the MVS set.

Really interested in hearing how you get on with that Hyper Neo Geo 64.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Did Metal Slug 5 cost you much? I have Metal Slug, 1,2,x,3 and 4. 5 is the only bloody one I haven't been able to find for a decent price! Need it to complete the MVS set.

Really interested in hearing how you get on with that Hyper Neo Geo 64.

All the MVS games were the one auction. So it was 101 euro for the 5 of them, including metal slug 5. Plus the shipping of course.

I'm interested to see how I get on as well with the hyper 64. Might just be a brick in a box as it's still sealed.

5987190126_3b97437740.jpg

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    All the MVS games were the one auction. So it was 101 euro for the 5 of them, including metal slug 5. Plus the shipping of course.

I'm interested to see how I get on as well with the hyper 64. Might just be a brick in a box as it's still sealed.

Ah right! Nice deal.

Yeah I get a bit worried when sellers list old electronics as never being used at all. A lot of people think 'score! minty fresh!', but things like caps dry up from lack of use. So if you have something that's never been used in that amount of time it could be DOA.

Fingers crossed it's not though. I guess it'll be nice unboxing something like that anyway :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Taito legends 2
    Spyhunter
    Minority report
    City crisis
    Memory card
    All ps2
    (No pic today as photo bucket is acting up)
    Cex over in the uk won't post to an Irish address normally BUT if you pay by paypal it works so you get free shipping .
    Ps2 Selection is huge compared to the shop here .
    Stuff is dirt cheap too most of those were £1 , minority report was 20p . Sadly they cancelled the part of my order with a 75p ps2 steering wheel (free post on that was probably taking the piss;)) and oddly enough space invaders invasion day., all good otherwise.

safetyboy wrote: »
    5987190126_3b97437740.jpg

Nice! Did u get Iridion 2 online? Looks in good nick. I found it hard to find CIB.

Just bought Pocket Bomberman CIB. That was tough to get CIB at a sensible price.

ebay for €15 delivered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Arrived from at my house yesterday.....:D

2011-07-28201546.jpg

2011-07-28201509.jpg

2011-07-28201637.jpg

2011-07-28201557.jpg

2011-07-28201700.jpg

Was told the Atari did not work but after cleaning th connections all is now working...... Came with two games Lopping and Donkey Kong. Also came with 4 Intellivision games....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

The auld isopropyl alcohol wipes are fantastic for that stuff,cleaned numberous contacts and even removed crayon/marker from cases.

These arrived today from Amazon.

Ōkami x2 new and sealed (one for playing and one for storing)

dsc4580j.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement