Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    ...to mod it with a frontlight :D

That's the only downside with the handheld imo, we've been spoilt by Nomad screen mod I fear. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Would definitely recommend picking up 2nd Mission if you can. The first is good, but the 2nd has much more variety and content. The 1st has rock solid mechanics, the 2nd actually does something with the mechanics :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That's the only downside with the handheld imo, we've been spoilt by Nomad screen mod I fear. :)

Indeed! It's ruined any non backlit handhelds for me.

I guess it's a small price to pay for the sheer awesome that is a modded nomad ;)

Would definitely recommend picking up 2nd Mission if you can. The first is good, but the 2nd has much more variety and content. The 1st has rock solid mechanics, the 2nd actually does something with the mechanics :)

It's a god damn shame that game is one of the harder to get NGP titleS! There are a few cart only ones about, but boxed ones not so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah have a boxed First Mission and a cart only Second. Seems hard enough to get a hold of alright.

Master of the Universe

One ended on ebay yesterday for 20 pounds which I almost bid on. There weren't any bids.

Decided that if I can get Sonic for a tenner then I can do the same with 2nd Mission :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Maybe if we build an altar he will come back?

Bags not being sacrificed!

Nah, we need someone very young and less corrupted for a sacrifice.
    What's atavan up to these days :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Any time I see a boardgame based videogame, I can't help but pity the child who woke up on Christmas morning to find that under the tree.

Its actually pretty good ;)
    it makes decent use of the sms graphics and sound to do visual questions and passable "name this tune" stuff, as well as the regular text questions.

Plus you tell it if you got an answer correct , on the one hand that kind of honor system is open to abuse but being a veteran of many quiz show games on the c64 and NES I can tell you that entering in "exactly" the phrase the game is looking for can be horrible , when quite often the a misplaced space comma or dash or even plain old odd American spellings can mean a right answer isn't accepted.Plus typing on an onscreen keyboard with a joypad= not fun.

If I remember rightly the C64 version (which I actually bought last week but haven't played as of yet) was an admirable attempt as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not really retro but I got Catherine today along with Etrian Odyssey 1,2 and 3 for the DS. Also Last Blade on the NGP arrived.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Last Blade on the NGP is fantastic, a real indicator of where the console could have gone if it had lasted another couple of years, the amount of work that went into it, capturing the sheer class of the console/arcade version, very nice indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Had some good charity shop finds in the last few days, Sonic 1 and Street Fighter II for the Mega Drive, Dino Crisis 2, Micro Machines V3, Capcom Generations and a PS1 multitap and Project Zero II and Red Faction II. Think all that was around **

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Steve SI wrote: »

Whoa whoa whoa, that's me out of the running!

Fair enough :p

Where's that younger model anyway, cant remember his name now.

Sure your an aul lad now atavan. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some recent acquisitions:

SANY1762.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

6023160674_25b063cc14_z.jpg

Sonic arrived! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

my time to shine!:D

• Advertisement

It's a really good sonic game!

Fair enough :p

Where's that younger model anyway, cant remember his name now.

Sure your an aul lad now atavan. :D

That would be me with my forgetable name...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Had some good charity shop finds in the last few days, Sonic 1 and Street Fighter II for the Mega Drive, Dino Crisis 2, Micro Machines V3, Capcom Generations and a PS1 multitap and Project Zero II and Red Faction II. Think all that was around **
    thats great , normally all I see are ps2 footie games for 5 quid a pop!

thats great , normally all I see are ps2 footie games for 5 quid a pop!

Yeah that was a great find!:O but then again, I never check the charity shop for games :/

Thinking of changing my user name from "Steve SI" to "Steve X2" :o

dsc4625.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The selection in Rage seems to be only getting better, as their prices seem to be only getting higher!
    But i could have burned thru 100 quid easy today in there, not much for the gameboy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Hmm... I'm not censoring my spending, chrome just imploded as I posted. Around 20 it should say

Master of the Universe

Not sure if I want to read that or not. I love the ambiguity of Ico and SOTC and it may spoil that.

But then on the other hand if it's a good read then it's a good read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Where did u grab that?

I need to get on for my Nomad as well for when the "Special One" comes out of retirement and has a bit of time to mod my Nomad screen and battery :D

If your referring to me :rolleyes::p did your screen from DX arrive yet? Try pick up the battery box thing & we'll go from there :)
    It's like waiting for the second coming of Christ, isn't it?

Rumour has it a shroud of turin type imprint was seen on one of my old bed sheets :D
    I prefer the Stone Blue myself(or maybe that's because its the one I bought when they first came out).

A front light would be great. I'm actually not sure how I ever played any hand helds without a back/front light.

Maybe I'll ask the "Special One" if he can do that for me as well.

How long before the "Special One" gets pissed off with us for calling him the "Special One" I wonder.

Any comment "Special One"? :D

You must be bored with that retirement at this stage. Come on out of retirement for one* last mission, 1980's/90's movie style.

*will actually be about 10 missions

Whats this, a front light mod on a NGP? I'll see if there's any info on doing it.
    Maybe if we build an altar he will come back?

Bags not being sacrificed!

Female sacrifices only, so yiz are safe :D

I may have a free week soon (I repeat may), so aside from Steve's Nomad, is there anything else that needs doing? I'll see what the state of play is & what I can/can't handle in the given time.

Not sure if I want to read that or not. I love the ambiguity of Ico and SOTC and it may spoil that.

But then on the other hand if it's a good read then it's a good read!

If it's as 'good' as the halo novels then steer clear!

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »

I may have a free week soon (I repeat may), so aside from Steve's Nomad, is there anything else that needs doing? I'll see what the state of play is & what I can/can't handle in the given time.

Neo Geo Pocket frontlight! Neo Geo pocket frontlight!!!! :D

Here's the guide -

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/ngpcdiy.html

My NGP hasn't been delivered yet and I need to get up into my grandparents attic to get a spare SP, so it won't be any time in the immediate future. But if it's possible at some point down the road I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Neo Geo Pocket frontlight! Neo Geo pocket frontlight!!!! :D

Here's the guide -

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/ngpcdiy.html

My NGP hasn't been delivered yet and I need to get up into my grandparents attic to get a spare SP, so it won't be any time in the immediate future. But if it's possible at some point down the road I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Not to be too negative or anything but is the mod even worth the hassle? Any videos I've seen on youtube of it don't look that great. Yes you can play in the dark but the colours look very washed out, maybe it was just the video itself. I'd defo want to see it in person before risking an NGP and SP.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Not to be too negative or anything but is the mod even worth the hassle? Any videos I've seen on youtube of it don't look that great. Yes you can play in the dark but the colours look very washed out, maybe it was just the video itself.
    I'd defo want to see it in person before risking an NGP and SP.

I'm inclined to agree men, reading through the tutorial there's a lot of 'risk of break/risk of damage/risk of bork", so the results would want to be fairly worthwhile.

I'll certainly look at doing itat some stage o1s1n, but I'd be wary of colour washing/fade as Andrrew stated

6025510112_e91e8714b4_z.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'm inclined to agree men, reading through the tutorial there's a lot of 'risk of break/risk of damage/risk of bork", so the results would want to be fairly worthwhile.

I'll certainly look at doing itat some stage o1s1n, but I'd be wary of colour washing/fade as Andrrew stated

From the pictures I've seen, it's pretty much the difference between the original GBA and the SP.

GBA - completely useless as you can't see anything.
    GBA SP - colour wash out, bur you can see the game.

If you reckon it's best to stay away from due to breakage then I'll take your word on it :). But if it's just due to the wash out then crack those puppies open and start tinkering! :D. No point in having lovely colours on a screen if you can't see them!

Master of the Universe

safetyboy wrote: »
    6025510112_e91e8714b4_z.jpg

Nice!!!

Me wants a wonderswan!

Nice, Super Aleste is fantastic.

All the NGPC games are designed around the crappy screen so all have bright bold colours which makes the games look washed out on a frontlit screen. You'll see the same effect when playing something like Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance on a front lit SP since it was designed for the reflective screen.

However the NGPC screen is pretty bad and you need a light coming over your shoulder to see the screen properly.

Love Super Aleste :cool:

If your referring to me :rolleyes::p did your screen from DX arrive yet? Try pick up the battery box thing & we'll go from there :)

No sign of the screen yet :(
    They are bloody slow shipping the stuff sometimes.

Picked up Tokyo highway challenge 2 and space channel 5 on the DC for €2 in the box in the rage today. SC5 is disc only but I'm not complaining for a euro!

Space Channel 5 so ripped off the dance fusion collective Deelite.
    Sega got taken to court but because the authorities have little knowledge of the Dreamcast back catalogue and the world of progressive american dance music they ruled in favour of Sega.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

is there any gameboy device out there that you can hook up to a tv monitor
    i remember something for snes that lets you play gameboy games (could be wrong of course)

Super Gameboy for the SNES. GBA player for the Gamecube.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

gba for the gamecube looks cool
    must buy one are they hard to find

gba for the gamecube looks cool
    must buy one are they hard to find

Not really, just make sure it comes with the boot disc.

I missed out on a Gameboy Player for less than a tenner on ebay by virtue of not paying attention, Arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Super Aleste. What a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hori actually released a special controller for the SNES Super Gameboy.
    r434L.jpg

Also I have made the (possibly ill-formed) decision to purchase this:
    $(KGrHqJ,!lYE3HEGfzVnBN-(erpVDQ~~0_3.JPG

CAPCOM Super Famicom POWER STICK Controller (Junk)
    Gonna see how I can fix her up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Picked myself up a ngpc with 5 games on eBay.
    Now what's the must have titles?
    Unfortunately is silver, really wanted the carbon fibre effect one but they were too expensive

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Nice! What games you get with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

£39.80stg Inc shipping which I thought was a good price
    Metal slug 1(in clear plastic case)
    Metal slug 2(in clear plastic case)
    Card fighter(in clear plastic case)
    Dark arms(in clear plastic case)
    Pocket tennis (not in case)
    Need to get myself pacman, puzzle bobble, turf masters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Picked this up yesterday.....120 euros......Up in NI...:D

2011-08-11205956-1.jpg

2011-08-11205914.jpg

2011-08-11210026.jpg

Master of the Universe

£39.80stg Inc shipping which I thought was a good price
    Metal slug 1(in clear plastic case)
    Metal slug 2(in clear plastic case)
    Card fighter(in clear plastic case)
    Dark arms(in clear plastic case)
    Pocket tennis (not in case)
    Need to get myself pacman, puzzle bobble, turf masters

Nice selection :)

Have you seen any footage of SNK vs Capcom Match of the Millenium? It looks insanely good for a handheld. Meant to be one of the best games for the system.

Oh and remember what Steve was saying about Pacman, make sure it comes with the little plastic thing you put on the stick.
    Picked this up yesterday.....120 euros......Up in NI...:D

Nice!!!!! Still gotta get me one of those!!

Where in NI did you come across that??

Nice selection :)

Have you seen any footage of SNK vs Capcom Match of the Millenium? It looks insanely good for a handheld. Meant to be one of the best games for the system.

And you can hook it up to Capcom vs SNK for the Dreamcast :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement