Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just got my Powerback for my Nomad, now I just have to get the soldering iron out or better still find a certain Kerbdog who actually owns one! Then the Nomad will be finally properly portable, Virtua Racing on the go, oh yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

My Super Famicom arcade stick arrived. A thing of beauty it is too! I wonder if I should sniff it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There's certain folk and their love of alcohol.

There's about 50% of the population here whose minds are wetwired Pokedex's

Hey you said me twice!

Alcohol is a great game :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah son but play it too much and, eventually, it plays you....
    constanzas_words_of_wisdom.jpg

Pyongyang wrote: »
    My Super Famicom arcade stick arrived. A thing of beauty it is too! I wonder if I should sniff it?

Just be careful, unless you get a whiff of some sort of cleaning agent immediately I'd say back away, given the craven, base kind that own such devices you could wind up with a nasty case of genital warts, on your nose!
    Just sayin' is all...

Wear gloves or ask a semi-friend to do it first, someone expendable, then clean it well, with bleach, you never know what bum scratching nose picker owned it before you.

If it was handed down as some sort of heirloom from a close friend or family member, disregard the above statement, I'm sure they always washed their hands after scratching their bum or picking their nose, no worries....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Had a pig of a time with getting the video recorded and working , and lost the sound twice , so it was One AM when I finally recorded that last commentary , so I'm err and um and ah'ing a bit more than normal btw)
    In case anyone's interested , here's what it runs like ..(and some game gear outrun lovin' as well.
    One more combo review (meg and Amiga) at some point this week and I can
    STOP PLAYING OUTRUN AND TRY SOMETHING ELSE.
    Loving the series , but a man needs to play more than one game

fairplay for the vids on outrun ! what did you use for the captures ?

sure I'll subscribe too :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

ondafly wrote: »
    might be jinx'ing myself here - but I finally purchased a Taito original Bubble Bobble PCB. Hopefully it arrives soon ! I've been trying to buy this game for sooooo long and always got beat on the auctions.

Out of curiosity what was the ball park figure you paid for it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Cheers , I couldn't get any capture programs working well enough for it so I ended up using the inbuilt avi captue on the emulators . Fusion for the SMS and gg , saint for the St and spectaculator for the zx.

not 100% retro on its own , but , got this from a sound guy on adverts
    th_cb5f4a4f.jpg
    ..which , when combined with a ps2/usb adaptor and a copy of mame on the emulator pc (the old an old converted laptop under the TV )....
    th_ef46fa51.jpg
    Nearly have it out of my system now ..honest ;)

• Advertisement

My Space Invaders arrived today for the Gameboy and, more importantly, the Super Gameboy.
    Can't wait to give this a lash, its reckoned to he one of the best Super Gameboy titles after Tue renowned and sublime Donkey Kong.

Now, should I continue to save my Paypal funds, aiming for the Pc Engine Duo, need about 150 including postage, or blow the money on a much wanted GameboySP ags-101?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Go for an AGS-101, they're less common I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PC-Engine Duo I say. It will increase the amount of games available to you while the SP will just be handy to have.

PC Engine! PC Engine! :)

Well, just did it, blew my load on an Ags-101 and that's that, worked out at $61 with postage. Can't wait for its beautiful screen to come leaping through my letterbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Email from seller:

"Sorry misread 101. Actually 001. Enjoy!"

• Advertisement

Well, just did it, blew my load on an Ags-101 and that's that.. .
    ..whatever you want to do with retro gaming hardware in the privacy of your own home is up to you man...

That's just the response I was looking for!
    If anyone asked what colour it is I'll say "Dried male protein grey"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

..whatever you want to do with retro gaming hardware in the privacy of your own home is up to you man...

That screen must really be something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Well, just did it, blew my load on an Ags-101 and that's that, worked out at $61 with postage. Can't wait for its beautiful screen to come leaping through my letterbox.

ewwwwwwww! Now the screen is going to be as blurry as the n64 anti alaising

Well, she's paid for now, I'll keep a copy of SMB3 and Warioware Inc and Twisted with me at all times, in case it arrives and I don't have anything to hand to play on it.
    The screen on the GBA Micro is so choice, and the GB/C stuff won't run on the lovely DSlite screen, so this is going to be epic!
    Quite cheap at $61 including postage, and paid for with a Paypal account loaded with €45 from the proceeds of 2 sales of items bought for a grand total of €15 from Balbriggan Market!
    Happy days indeed!

Unfortunately the upswing of all that is that I now have two N64s and an Xbox with no home and no takers as yet, will just have to mind them til the right person comes along.
    Megadrives and Snes' seem to be the most in demand of the retro systems on Adverts, and MD I've posted sells very quickly.

• Advertisement

These items landed today (Super Famicom arcade stick to follow):

Karous (Limited Edition with Phonecard). [SG-OCD, NTSC-J]
    BiMJZ.jpg

Neo Geo Pocket Color & GPX Cyber Formula. [Both are CIB-OCD, NTSC-J]
    3iPxo.jpg

Victory Run [CIB-OCD, NTSC-J] + 2 other Hu Cards I forget the name of [NTSC-J] and Kisuisyoudensetsu Asutaru [CIB-OCD, NTSC-J, SC-OCD]
    3ZgAE.jpg

As promised, here's the Super Famicom stick I bought. The JB King Super Joystick.

As you can see from the photo's, the bottom section comes apart and there is a cartridge port built in to it. God knows what for, anyone have a clue? Save games maybe?

This stick is fantastic. The throw is absolutely nipple-hardeningly good. Every single button is adjustable to your precise specifications and all LED lit. I believe you can also twist the main button pad round like on my XE-1 HE Pro stick.

This is my now joint favourite stick with the XE-1 HE Pro. :)

61i35.jpg

xOVTm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

That is some haul :)

6058167591_0e1c34d56c.jpg

CSII is an awesome game! You will love it, I think there is a CSIII too and it's even available for PC. Worth a look perhaps? High score challenge maybe? :)

I'll give it a shot later, Still waiting on my Espgaluda from Yesasia, they sent a second out on Monday for free though!

Today's items (something else arrived but is not pictured, I'll make a YouTube video later for that one):

Street Fighter 3rd Strike, Arcana Heart and Ketsui Extra [All NTSC-J, CIB]
    Ehxz3.jpg

Touhou: Imperishable Night, Mars Matrix and Street Fighter II [ALL NTSC-J, All CIB except Mars Matrix]

Ha8kD.jpg

safetyboy wrote: »
    Still waiting on my Espgaluda from Yesasia, they sent a second out on Monday for free though!

Seriously? I got mine earlier this week. Though I ordered from Play Asia. Never had issues with Yesasia before though, been using them for aeons.

Talking of Espgaluda, I managed to snag the original Espgaluda for PS2 this week. Looking forward to that one. :)

I think a high score challenge for Shikigami II and Espgaluda II is on the cards, time to study my Appreciate DVD's! :D

Its been a month and a week or so since the first order of 2 * ESPgaluda 2, i mailed them on monday the sent out another 2. :) lets hope these arrive!

That's a long time to be waiting on the delivery. Maybe a SHMUP fan posing as a postal worker robbed your copy? :pac:

However when I ordered Mushihimesama Futari from Play Asia, that took about a month to arrive due to being held a week before despatch. I think my copy of Darius Burst will take just as long because it had the same '1w' mark when I placed the order.

Went into 3D games and got Toe Jam & Earl 3 for 8 quid and Future Cop for the ps1 for another 8, not bad at all.

• Advertisement

Went into 3D games and got Toe Jam & Earl 3 for 8 quid and Future Cop for the ps1 for another 8, not bad at all.

They could make a bit of money in there if they priced stuff a bit better and got some decent stock in. The location is great but it never seems busy.

They do seem better now than a few months ago to be fair on them.

I'd love to take the place over and put some money and knowledge into the stock and shop layout. I'd have a candy cab in there in the blink of an eye and it wouldn't be on freeplay, at least not all the time anyway :D

I wonder how much rent they have to pay on a place that size in such a prime location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Steve SI wrote: »

I wonder how much rent they have to pay on a place that size in such a prime location?

They've had an unfathomable series of bargains in there recently, whatwith Paper Mario (GCN) going for 16 quid, twice. But yeah, the head office is footing a sizeable portion of the rent as it's the brand's first stab at the Irish
    market. Rents on Grafton Street tend to be around the 500 grand a month mark, according to the chap who runs Korky's. Good lord.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    They've had an unfathomable series of bargains in there recently, whatwith Paper Mario (GCN) going for 16 quid, twice. But yeah, the head office is footing a sizeable portion of the rent as it's the brand's first stab at the Irish
    market. Rents on Grafton Street tend to be around the 500 grand a month mark, according to the chap who runs Korky's. Good lord.

Maybe 500 grand a year for the larger places I would say and up to a million for the very large places. Maybe a lot less now with the way things are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I got that figure from an interview the Korky's guy did on that Pat Kenny current affairs show, last year. If that's the case, you'd wonder how profitable a venture it could really turn out to be, even GAME got off Grafton St as it wasn't viable.

ChaseHQ-SMS-EU-NoR-medium.jpg
    ..for a couple of quid in rage .
    gutted as the 1 euro box is no more ..meant to have a look though that one last time as a/ I'm broke , and b/ there was a load of spectrum stuff there and I've started liking it as a platform .I'd picked the c64 version of the above there boxed for a quid .It's terrible but the box is great!
    _-Chase-H-Q-Spectrum-48K-_.jpg

I never could get on with Chase HQ. I had the C64 version years ago and recently had the PC Engine version (which I've since sold). There was an awesome game System 3 made for C64 cassette and cartridge though called Turbo Charge. Much preferred that! :)

Finally arrived this morning, Sync Strike, SLG 3000 and PCB Scaler casing. Genuinely looking forward to setting this little lot up! :)

vUECR.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Totally forgot abot Turbo Charge! I loved that game!

Best way to play chase HQ outside of an arcade is the saturns arcade perfect port.

I don't know what it is about Chase HQ, but it just wrecks my head. I've never liked it, maybe the Saturn version will change my opinion of it! Cheers for the tip. :)

• Advertisement

I "obtained" the saturn version and its excellent indeed.

Thats pretty cool , by 91'ish I'd switched over to the sms/ meg so that passed me by
    system 3 were great though , Last Ninja(1-3), Flimbos Quest, Myth...

I hadmy C64 for way too long so remember some very late games, some were really impressive such as turbo charge.

Just picked up an N64 with Mario Cart for 3€ in eastwall car boot

Nice one, Mario Kart too! Now all you need are some good games for it! Ha ha ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Just had an epic carboot haul...

Started off with this for €10

mega.jpg

Then picked up a few more bits and pieces. GBA for 3, Gamecube for 8. All will be in the last pic.

As we walked around for a last quick look we came across someone we had missed who was having an everything-must-go sale and he sold us everything in this picture for €3.50 (not a typo, 3 euro 50 cents)

3fiddy.jpg

In total we spent about 40 and ended up with this haul:

haul.jpg

The monopoly might not be arcade but it is retro and they go on ebay for 50, we paid 2.

Oh and during the week my OH snapped this up off adverts for 25: http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/spectra-video-sv-318-computer/402678

Today was full of win, now time to clean it all up and test it. :D

• Advertisement

Well done you!
    Which market was it?
    I frequent the Balbriggan market on a Sunday myself, often they have something interesting although I'm not buying any more N64s or Ps1 consoles! Having a hard time selling them on.
    Snes and Megadrive, they sell very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Forgot to mention the ps1 is an audiophile one. It was somewhere in tallaght, near jacobs. went to Balbriggan a couple of times, never really found much worth getting there. Got a SNES once for 25 and a megadrive 2 for a tenner which turned out to be faulty. I suppose you just have to be lucky with when you go to these things...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Forgot to mention the ps1 is an audiophile one. It was somewhere in tallaght, near jacobs. went to Balbriggan a couple of times, never really found much worth getting there. Got a SNES once for 25 and a megadrive 2 for a tenner which turned out to be faulty. I suppose you just have to be lucky with when you go to these things...

Damn you to hell, you must have got to the market before me and cleaned them out cod they had feck all when I got there:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

huh? I go to the Market there in the stadium on the Saturday http://www.irishcarboot.ie/venues/tallaght.php. Didn't know it was on Sunday's now as well..

Good haul you got there!

Well done on the haul, can't believe that lot was €3.50! :eek:

Glad that Spectravideo got snapped up. I was tempted to go look at that myself, never got round to it. Does it all work?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement