Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, i want to buy a polaroid...

Options
  • 29-10-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, was looking into getting an old school polaroid camera for my GF for christmas but i'm wondering what my options are, i know that it's tough to get film for these but i've been told you can modify them to take available modern film? I saw a good condition swinger model but i'm nearly sure it'd be very hard to modify it!

If anyone can advise me further i'd really appreciate it as i know next to nothing about polaroids! :o
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

well, there are two distinct types of polaroid film. There are the integral types, including 600 and spectra, and there are the peel apart types. The integral film is the one that spits out the print which then develops in front of you. This is also the film which is now defunct. Its not a question of it being -difficult- to get, it's practically <i>impossible</i> to get, unless you want to pay top dollar on EBay. OTOH there are a group of guys in the netherlands which are trying to re-create 600 film at least, B&W first, then colour. Google 'the impossible project' for more info.

The peel apart stuff also comes in a bewildering range of sizes and shapes, and most, while unavailable now in their polaroid forms, have equivalents made by fuji (FP-100C/B FP-3000b for example). There are historically other sizes made by polaroid though. I have a colour swinger at home for example that takes an old size made originally by polaroid up until a few years ago which doesn't have any fuji equivalent so it's pretty useless.

To complicate matters still further, fuji -does- have an integral film aswell, the instax, which is incompatible with the polaroid cameras. The film itself is probably better than the pola integral films, but the cameras are pretty nasty. Cheap chunky and plasticky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Though you said 'old school' there's always the polaroid 2 digital, at least paper shouldn't be a headache...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I did look up the Impossible Project. This is what greets you.
    The Impossible Project
    inspires Polaroid to re-launch Instant Cameras
    We are pleased to herewith announce a history making cooperation between Polaroid and The Impossible Project:

As we have created quite some buzz about Analog Instant Photography over the past 12 months, the Polaroid licensee - The Summit Global Group - now can't resist any longer and announced at a press conference on October 13th in Hongkong that they will re-launch some of the most famous Polaroid Instant Cameras.

Therefore they are commissioning The Impossible Project to develop and produce a limited edition of Polaroid branded Instant Films in the middle of 2010.

The Impossible Project is proud and excited that its ambitions and all the relentless work that has already been invested are now becoming the foundation for Polaroid's comeback as a producer of Instant Cameras.

Large-scale production and worldwide sale of The Impossible Project's new integral film materials under its own brand will already start in the beginning of 2010 - with a brand new and astonishing black and white Instant Film and the first colour films to follow in the course of the year.

democrates wrote: »
    Though you said 'old school' there's always the polaroid 2 digital, at least paper shouldn't be a headache...

well, at least until the product completely bombs (which is almost inevitable) and they stop producing the special paper you need.

Or as someone else more eloquently put it ...

"Just say NO ! Zink Stinks !"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jjoconnor

zero19 wrote: »
    Hi guys, was looking into getting an old school polaroid camera for my GF for christmas but i'm wondering what my options are, i know that it's tough to get film for these but i've been told you can modify them to take available modern film? I saw a good condition swinger model but i'm nearly sure it'd be very hard to modify it!

If anyone can advise me further i'd really appreciate it as i know next to nothing about polaroids! :o

get her a fuji instax - not very old school looking but the film is available in shops (some camera shops) or ebay (good deals from HK) and the colour is very nice & saturated

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/instant_photo/cameras/instax_210/

or fuji instax mini - cute mini version comes in a variety of colours and takes mini instant photos

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/instant_photo/cameras/instax_mini_7/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2174/2302895131_e47359804e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭outspann

It doesn't guarantee anything for the future, but...

when I was in the States in September there was a big push on using Polaroids. Not so much in the camera shops, but more in the funky independent stores. Urban Outfitters also had a big promotion going with the guys in the Impossible Project. Film for sale in every shop, plus also new cameras in their big stores.

The cameras weren't cheap either, up around $200, and were pretty much all sold out. Like I said, it wasn't so much a photo crowd that they were aiming for, more the people who are naturally :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have a polaroid camera just waiting for new film, I cant wait to use it again, as chunky and cheap as it looks I had so much fun when I was a kid taking shots with these.

These €200 cameras, any idea which type they were, I mean the one I have I bought on adverts, I had the same one when I was a kid and it went missing, as far as I remember it cost around £30 in argos when I got it.

outspann wrote: »
    The cameras weren't cheap either, up around $200, and were pretty much all sold out. Like I said, it wasn't so much a photo crowd that they were aiming for, more the people who want to be seen as naturally :cool:

FYP

From what I remember the UO promotion was shortdated amd expired film from the last polaroid runs, and a pile of cameras they'd "found in a warehouse" somewhere. In other words typical polapremium/unsaleable/LSI tactics. They are nothing if not hype manufacturing geniuses.

I remains to be seen whether or not the impossible project will result in more of the same or whether they'll sell the stuff at some reasonable price point. The involvement of Ilford might tip the balance in favour of sensibility ...

These €200 cameras, any idea which type they were, I mean the one I have I bought on adverts, I had the same one when I was a kid and it went missing, as far as I remember it cost around £30 in argos when I got it.

They were the same ones AFAIK :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I spent $200 on polaroid film in new york in september - and it didn't get me that much...

It's mostly impossible to find the 600 film (used by the solid plastic box polaroids and the older, folding sx70 types) in dublin now. You can buy it on polapremium still, but be prepared for 'premium' prices and a whacking 15 euro delivery charge. As Daire pointed out you'll get people selling it on ebay too but be prepared to pay €20+ for a pack of ten shots.

The other polaroid camera i have is one of the 440 models (similar one here), which takes the peel apart film. That's a bit more messy because you have to leave it to develop then peel apart the film when it comes out and you're left with some goopy paper, and trickier to use because it's got a different way of focusing - the lens is on bellows at the front and you use a slidey thing to move it backwards and forwards to focus, and the focusing screen shows you a split image so you need plenty of light to be able to see to focus it properly. But thats the one that takes the fuji film, which is also expensive but much much easier to get hold of (20ish quid for a pack of ten black & white shots in gunns). There are two things with this kind of camera though:

1. You no longer get the batteries that fit them, so you have to buy one that's already adapted to take a modern 'normal' battery, pay a premium for a modern version of the old battery from polapremium, or adapt it yourself with a little kit which involves some snipping of plastic.

2. The modern fuji film is properly rated and more contrasty and saturated than the polaroid stuff (which is all expired by now, that's what gives it the lovely muted colours and softness everyone likes) so if that's the style of pictures she's after, you're missing that with the new fuji film. In that case you would be better off with the instax mini (the other instax, the non mini one, is actually ridiculously huge and not nice or retro at all) but bear in mind, the instax mini has an auto flash that can't be turned off, and that will haev an effect on your pictures - i've been tempted a few times but resisted because of that single thing. The prints from that are also tinier than you might expect - credit card sized.

If you want to bank on the impossible project coming up with the goods, see if you can get an sx70 or one of the more modern 600 format cameras while they are still relatively cheap on ebay (more than 60 inc p&p is a ripoff tbh) and be prepared to pay BIG for film in the meantime (and take the chance that it may not actually work) - and as Daire says don't count on the new film being reasonably priced - they know they have a niche market that will pay, so they are likely to take advantage of it.

If she has a dslr already, you could get her a lensbaby instead...

• Advertisement

It was an ordinary 600 classic, you'd get it on polapremium for about €70 or second hand about €20. and they all sold out in urban outfitters, what a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If you can get an SX70, do. Far better quality, needs a bit of a mod to meter with 600 film, but worth it.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    If you can get an SX70, do. Far better quality, needs a bit of a mod to meter with 600 film, but worth it.

They're all different though. I swapped out the dark plastic in front of the light meter on mine for some clear plastic and it meters fine for 600 if i turn the dark/light dial to dark. Other SX-70s need more filtering over the lens or electrical mods to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've two of them now, and have fiddled with a few others for people, generally it's only a case of popping out the ND filter. Mine will be going back in shortly enough though. You can pop on a filter in front of the film too, which makes life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

jjoconnor wrote: »
    get her a fuji instax - not very old school looking but the film is available in shops (some camera shops) or ebay (good deals from HK) and the colour is very nice & saturated

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/instant_photo/cameras/instax_210/

or fuji instax mini - cute mini version comes in a variety of colours and takes mini instant photos

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/instant_photo/cameras/instax_mini_7/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2174/2302895131_e47359804e.jpg

Those instax mini cameras are a ok substitute for polaroids as ive been told in Gunns that fuji are still making film for it. Gunns have the mini for €25 euro and the film are €20 for two packs of ten... but ive seen on 7dayshop.com you can get them for £10.. so for the moment its going to be a cheaper alternative until the polaroid film reappears.

zero19 wrote: »

so what did you get her in the end?!

Advertisement