Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTX 280 Connections

Options
  • 29-10-2009 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Hey all, bought a GTX 280 last week from adverts but problem is I only have a 6 pin connection from my PSU and it needs a 6 pin and an 8 pin for the card. Do I need a new PSU, it's an OCZ Stealth 500W or something, or is there a way around it? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

get a sata to pcie power converter...

that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Sweet, I can get to Maplins or PC World in Cork this evening, would they both have them or would they have any clue what I'm talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MrMagic1

If they don't they'll prob have the molex to pci-e power connector,

pcie6.jpg

Maplin will prob know what You're on about but I honestly doubt Pc World would know anything, pay peanuts, get monkeys :p

MrMagic1 wrote: »
    If they don't they'll prob have the molex to pci-e power connector

Right but the GTX 280 has a 6 pin and 8 pin connection, I have the 6 pin but need the 8 pin. Maplins don't have it, should I just go off and buy a new PSU for the sake of it?

Dave147 wrote: »
    Right but the GTX 280 has a 6 pin and 8 pin connection, I have the 6 pin but need the 8 pin. Maplins don't have it, should I just go off and buy a new PSU for the sake of it?

Yes, but not from PC World or Maplin, they'll rob You for a shíte one

• Advertisement

I wouldn't dream of it, I've an offer for one on adverts which is 1200w, overkill but I'll probably have a GTX 295 in the next few months so no point buying a 700w etc.

700w is plenty for a 295, 1200w is complete and utter overkill. Better to opt for a good quality brand

I've heard tales of blue screens of death with only 700w. Maybe so but I do intend on going dual GPU when I can afford two of them, so this PSU should last awhile, only cost 130 quid anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I've heard tales of blue screens of death with only 700w.

eh no!

Would have nothing to do with the wattage of a psu

I've heard tales of blue screens of death with only 700w. Maybe so but I do intend on going dual GPU when I can afford two of them, so this PSU should last awhile, only cost 130 quid anyway.

Nonsence, a 700w good reputable brand psu is plenty for a 295 or any other dual card setup

• Advertisement

I didn't say it happened me, I just said I heard.. which I did.. It was probably a ****ty make PSU, anyway I got this PSU for cheap and will have it Monday morning, it's a ThermalTake Toughpower 1200W.

You sure it'll fit in your case?

Yeah seller checked it out for me, bought from him before if it turned out it didn't fit he'd take it back.

Advertisement