Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NWOBHM

• 29-10-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Was just reading the "are Metallica the definitive metal band" and it brought me head banging back to the late 80's when Lars Ulrich released a double compilation album called New Wave of British Heavy Metal: '79 Revisited.

Does anyone else have or remember this?

It's really good collection of the bands that influenced Metallica and I'm sure many others. Apart from the obvious ones, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard (not so metal nowadays) and Diamond Head, but a lot of defunct bands and others that still exist but never made it to the lofty heights of Maiden.

You can really hear how thrash metal evolved from early bands like Venom and how much of Metallica's style is copied from this music. I'm not slating them by the way.

Here's a wiki link to the track list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wave_Of_British_Heavy_Metal_%2779_Revisited

I used to take it down every couple of years, usually after a few pints, blow the dust off and play it to people who really had no interest and I'd enthuse about metal in the "good old days"

Its found a new lease of life now on my ipod.

Just curious if many people have it or still listen to it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Was reading your post & recalling some of the bands I was sure were on that album (without looking at the Wiki!)
    Saxon, Girlschool, Diamondhead...et al.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure i still have this on vinyl, somewhere in the loft. Have to admit i'd forgotten about it till your post, and will probably do so again quite soon.

Fun at the time though, I'm sure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I have this too somewhere, not a bad record if I remember. Diamond Head were a decent band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

all i have to say is VENOM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

buck65 wrote: »
    Diamond Head were a decent band.

Aye fairly decent them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Many years ago i was involved in a rock show on a small local radio station in bray co wicklow and we used to play a lot of that stuff.
    747 strangers in the night, any venom we could get! fast as a shark was popular

aaaahhh the memories.....

No such thing as a niche music show on radio now though, not commercial enough.
    Back in the day though the rock show got more mail than any other show on the station!

I wanna rock!

As twisted sister would say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I love old school heavy metal, and bands with an old school guitar sound. I recently got into Saxon, and I've been listening to them a lot of recently. They are a truly excellent band, and the sheer amount of class tracks they have is awesome. By the way that sound like a class track listing.:)

Advertisement