Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCIe 1x card in a PCIe 16x slot?

Options
  • 29-10-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’m looking to buy a Zotac 9300 ITX board for a media centre build that I’m planning. I intend using a PCIe 1x DVB-S card with the setup (a TeVii s470).

My one concern is that I’ll be using the PCIe 1x card in a PCIe 16x slot (there is only one PCIe slot on the board). Based on the PCIe standard the card should work in the slot, but before I go ahead and make two expensive purchases I’m trying to determine if anyone has actually tried what I’m doing. I’ve checked the motherboard documentation and it seems to stress that the 16x slot should only be used with graphics cards, though it doesn’t actually say you can’t use PCIe 8x, 4x or 1x cards in the slot. Aside from that I’ve seen little or no actual discussion on the net that specifically addresses my question.

If anyone has any firsthand experience similar to what I’m hoping to do please let me know.

Ta.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Shouldn't be any issue with using either a PCIex1 card in a PCIex16 slot, nor using a random PCIe card instead of a GPU in the primary PCIe slot. They're not just for graphics cards ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

However, trying to run a PCIe x16 card in a PCIe x1 slot...

Actually doesn't do that much damage :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

FYP :P

And putting a x16 card in a x1 slot will break it, unless you intend on Dremelling out the side of the PCIex1 slot! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Solitaire wrote: »
    FYP :P

And putting a x16 card in a x1 slot will break it, unless you intend on Dremelling out the side of the PCIex1 slot! :eek:

Well, what I meant was it is theoretically possible, not that it was a good idea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Solitaire wrote: »
    Shouldn't be any issue with using either a PCIex1 card in a PCIex16 slot, nor using a random PCIe card instead of a GPU in the primary PCIe slot. They're not just for graphics cards ;)

While I agree that this makes sense and agree 100% with you, I'm really looking for first hand feedback from anyone who has done something similar to what I intend to do. I'm all for trying it myself but I'd rather not blow 200ish euro on an experiment...

• Advertisement
Advertisement