Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick Winter Race Series

• 29-10-2009 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

This might be of interest to runners in and around Limerick..It's a weekly race series being organised by the UL Rowing Club. It starts with 5k races on 5,12,19 November then 7k races on 26 Nov,3,10 December before resuming with 10k races on 7,14,21 January.

€5 entry fee/€3 for student. Course is on UL campus starting at the new Boathouse at 7pm.

I have no connection with the Rowing Club but I'm amongst those who often complain about the lack of any kind of races in Limerick. Gonna try and make it along at least the 1st night and see what the story is, give it a bit of support etc.

Oh - and every runner has to wear a hi-vis vest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Thanks for posting that. Good to hear of some races on in Limerick for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Wow this is fantastic!!! Thanks a mill for posting about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes :D

ABout time a race series in Limerick.

Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I will deffo pop along to these!! About time that their are some more races here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I hope to make it to some of these races, great idea, hope it takes off.

• Advertisement

FYI folks.

Original Message
    Sent: Fri 10/30/2009 2:27 PM
    To: Marie.C
    Subject: Re: The race series

Hi Marie,
    Thanks a mill for the support. You are more than welcome to come along next Thursday. I am hoping it goes off safe and well.
    First of all it's the rowers that are doing the timing and marshalling so they won't be the main particpants and they are not crazy fit runners - good rowers but not crazy super fit runners :o)

The race starts and finishes at the boathouse and there are changing rooms but they are not secure. Most probably your gear will be safe but I cannot guarantee it.

The course will be marshaled and starts at the boathouse. Run the roundabout, turn left across the traffic bridge towards Thomond village, cross at the pedestrian crossing, head towards the medical building, turn right to go across the Living Bridge, through Millstream Courtyard, cross the road on to main plaza turn left up towards the Stables but take the second arch in to the courtyard with the Spar shop. Go through the courtyard to the exit by the spar shop. That's halfway point. Turn right down past the taxi rank towards the semi-circle drop of point by the library, turn right and head back across the main plaza and back on the same route - Living Bridge, Med building and back to the boathouse.
    The run will be all on campus - the 10km will be 2 laps of the 5k course. The 7km will be the 5km route but extend down to the back of the arena if possible. I just have to keep an eye on the progress of building works around college.

Yes - you do have to provide your own high-vis. Its just easier that way.

The distances are increasing to facilitate people improve their fitness by adding an extra challenge!
    I hope to see you next Thursday.
    Pass the word around to anyone you think would be interested.

Kind regards

Liz

--- On Fri, 30/10/09, Marie.C wrote:
    Subject: The race series
    To:
    Date: Friday, 30 October, 2009, 11:45 AM

Hi Liz,

Through the Boards AC running website I found out about this race series starting next week. I think it is a fantastic idea so well done to ye!

A few questions:

Im only just getting my fitness back and at the moment Im a 10min/mile person. Is this race series really just going to be crazy super fit rowers?? Will I be out of my league?

Does the race start and finish at the boathouse? From what has been highlighted on the flyer it would not appear to be the case. Im just wondering so I know where I can leave my gear. Are there facilities for changing at the
    boathouse? Not even for showering just to change or whats the set-up?

When the distance lengthens will it still be all on campus?

We provide our own hi-vis I presume? I have one but just double checking!

Again well done on a fantastic idea and best of luck with it!

Kind Regards,
    Marie.C

Well this starts this evening! Anyone still planning on doing it?

I hope that:
    a - its not just me
    b - if there are others that Im not the slowest and out of my league!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

hi all,
    i really had intended to give these a go, but couldn't make it tonight, any feedback on the first night?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

yup, ran the first 5k tonight. Thumbs up to ULRC, well organised, no hassle. The hi-vis is definitely necessary, pretty dark first 200m stretch up to the roundabout. Plenty of stewards with torches to light the way :D

Going past the scholars required a bit of a check to ensure that I didn't plow into anyone.

There were maybe 40-50 runners, all standards. The results will be emailed to us tomorrow I believe.

Will miss next week's race but should pick up a few more before Christmas.

Good to hear it went off well.

Wanted to come tonight but was working 5-9. Saw ye guys pass though (i work in the courtyard).

Next week ill be off so looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I was at it as well, well orgainised and a nice route. As was said the first and last 200m were dark but I'm sure if they parked a car at either end with headlights on it would be fine.

All different standards as well which suited me fine!!

I loved this event! Thought it was well organised, very smooth affair. Definitely the darkness at the beginning (and end) was dodgey, and I found at the end it slowed me down cos the light wasn't on anymore.

Other than that it was brilliant. I enjoyed running up by the library and Spar - people didnt know where the hell we were all coming out of!

To top it all off I ran it in 24:56 - 7.85min/mile pace. My fastest run EVER :)
    Bring on next Thursday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

MarieC wrote: »
    I loved this event! Thought it was well organised, very smooth affair. Definitely the darkness at the beginning (and end) was dodgey, and I found at the end it slowed me down cos the light wasn't on anymore.

Other than that it was brilliant. I enjoyed running up by the library and Spar - people didnt know where the hell we were all coming out of!

To top it all off I ran it in 24:56 - 7.85min/mile pace. My fastest run EVER :)
    Bring on next Thursday!

Well done MarieC. Taking it easy with running this month but might see you down there next month or when the turn into 10k

I was there!!!! :D

Was good I thought. I have never ran a 5k race before so i ddin't know how to run/race it. so I started fast then slowed then stepped it up again and then slowed and on and on. The only other events I have completed are 5 marathons and one 10k last april where I used the same race technique as last night!!!. I'll learn.

I finshed in 22min that was about 18th place. I'd hope to get that nearer 20min when I find out how to run a race:rolleyes:

The guy that won finished in 16min!!!

I made a balls of writing down my email, so I not sure if i will receive results. I'd be interested to know if they were sent out.

baza1976 wrote: »
    I finshed in 22min that was about 18th place. I'd hope to get that nearer 20min when I find out how to run a race:rolleyes:

The guy that won finished in 16min!!!

I made a balls of writing down my email, so I not sure if i will receive results. I'd be interested to know if they were sent out.

Hi Baza, congrats on your time - Id say Id cough up a lung if my little legs could get me running that fast!

I wrote my email address pretty clearly and still haven't received any official time, will let you know when I do.

Hey Marie,
    You say all the right things:D

Yeah if you get results be great if you could let us know.

thnaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Roughly how many were there and what was the standard?

I had a function last night so couldn't go but giving it serious thought for the next couple of weeks...

Standard was mixed.
    Guy that won it ran 16min something. I ran 22 and the were people coming in at 30min +.
    Organisation was "good". as good as you'd expect really. officails along the way with flash lights pointing the way.

€5.00 was good value. And seeing as there is feck all on around the limerick area why not??!!??
    AM not sure about numbers. I was No.70 but I don't think there was 70 people there I reckon a good 40+

I was talking to the organiser afterwards and she said approx 50 entrants and 20 rowing club members doing it as a training run (they started afterwards)

first place 16mins, a few were coming in around 35mins as I was leaving so a good spread

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Results from last night attached

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Bizbit

Here are the results. I couldn't read everyones email but i did email the results to everyone I could tonight. Thank you all for your support. We'll take on board your suggestions. See you next week!
    UL Rowing Club Winter Run Series
    1st 5km . 5th Nov Results
    Position Race Number Name Time
    1 16 Cian Murphy 00:16:22
    2 68 Fergus Melligan 00:18:34
    3 3 Mike Darcy 00:18:38
    4 13 Alan Curran 00:18:45
    5 11 William Greensmyth 00:18:50
    6 12 Damien Roche 00:19:18
    7 65 Ian Bolger 00:19:46
    8 66 Liam Looney 00:19:46
    9 20 Martin Philips 00:19:56
    10 19 Owen Ryan 00:19:56
    11 10 David O'Connell 00:20:01
    12 1 Cormac O'Regan 00:20:16
    13 76 Odhran McBride 00:20:36
    14 64 Richard Walsh 00:21:08
    15 18 Mike Cooney 00:21:25
    16 24 Brian Bistoe 00:22:07
    17 5 Ray Hickey 00:22:12
    18 70 Barry Storan 00:22:26
    19 6 Shane Larkin 00:22:31
    20 2 Gerry Mcintyre 00:22:35
    21 14 Willie Costello 00:22:39
    1 F 71 Eva Barrett 00:22:44
    22 78 Dave Fitzgerald 00:22:55
    23 63 Anthony Egan 00:23:10
    24 69 Mike O'Grady 00:23:28
    25 9 Jerome McCabe 00:23:36
    2 F 17 Verena Tarpey 00:23:56
    26 75 Paul Kearney 00:24:48
    3 F 62 Marie Clancy 00:24:53
    27 61 Mark Mullaly 00:25:30
    28 77 Martin Franklin 00:25:36
    4 F 8 Edel O'Brien 00:25:50
    5 F 15 Alison Ledger 00:26:06
    6 F 7 Orla Knight 00:26:07
    29 21 Paul Callenan 00:28:38
    7 F 67 Rachael Delaney 00:29:49
    8 F 4 Noirin Dillon McCarthy 00:30:16
    9 F 22 Martha Eames 00:31:16
    10 F 23 Marian Freney 00:31:17
    30 74 Sean O'Neill 00:31:18
    11 F 72 Marie Dollard 00:33:04
    31 73 Patrick Beggan 00:33:04

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Great Race. First time doing a 5k run and came fourth. Good course, though a bit dodgy running through the courtyard with the drunks stumbling out of scholars! Standard was far higher than I thought it would be which was great to see. Looking forward to next week already.

Standard was mixed.
    Guy that won it ran 16min something. I ran 22 and the were people coming in at 30min +.
    Organisation was "good". as good as you'd expect really. officails along the way with flash lights pointing the way.

€5.00 was good value. And seeing as there is feck all on around the limerick area why not??!!??
    AM not sure about numbers. I was No.70 but I don't think there was 70 people there I reckon a good 40+

I second this! Its excellent value and sure aren't we always complaining that there are no organised events in Limerick and here are 9 of them over the next 3 months!

Word of mouth is a great thing so hopefully the numbers will only grow from this point forward. And there did seem to be a good mix of standard so it should be suitable for all/most.

So many/any planning on running race # 2 tonight?
    I know I'll be there! :)

Looking out the window here and I never thought I'd say it but a two hour turbo session is suddenly looking very appealing!!!

So many/any planning on running race # 2 tonight?
    I know I'll be there! :)

I'll be there, few lads at work here who don't "run" said they might chance their arm too

it looks like it might stay dry... fingers crossed!

Perfect night for a run. No rain (thank feck!), not too cold. Word definitely seems to have spread about this race series, numbers were up 50% on last week. Lighting was improved in and out from the boathouse.

Great event, last week of the 5k distance next week! :)

I was there too. Good run I thought. I went out bit too face and had to hold on fom just over half way. Still had something in the tank for a 50 meter sprint finish :) think I finished about 20sec faster than last week so happy(ish)

2 of my work mates also turned up which I was impressed with.

• Advertisement

think I finished about 20sec faster than last week so happy(ish)

why only happyish? Whats ur goal for the 5k distance?

why only happyish? Whats ur goal for the 5k distance?

Ah i reckon I could get in under 20 min. Its the pacing thats killing me. I know when training for a marathon I get get a through a 3 mile run in under 21 min. BUt I didn't run for the whole of october and ran very little since July so that and the fact that I have no idea how to run a 5k I suppose I should be happy.

How did you get on last night???

Edit: I should aslo be grateful that the injury I carried into Cork Marathon and stopped me running for so much of the summer isn't too bad, still mindful of it though

Ah i reckon I could get in under 20 min. Its the pacing thats killing me. I know when training for a marathon I get get a through a 3 mile run in under 21 min. BUt I didn't run for the whole of october and ran very little since July so that and the fact that I have no idea how to run a 5k I suppose I should be happy.

How did you get on last night???

Edit: I should aslo be grateful that the injury I carried into Cork Marathon and stopped me running for so much of the summer isn't too bad, still mindful of it though

Did you improve on your time from last week? Sure if you just take it week by week continue to improve, and enjoy the running, well then it has to fall in to place (patience is a virtue and it is really hard when you know you are not running at your full potential).

Im just going to take it week by week, focus on slicing any few seconds off but for me its important to make sure I enjoy it too, I know i will never win the race so if Im not getting something out of it for myself well then why bother.

Was very happy with last night - 24:25approx. 28seconds faster than last week so happy days. I wonder how they measured the distance? Would love to double check that it is the full 5k as Ive never ran this fast before so if the time is right, id like to be sure of the distance.......

Was very happy with last night - 24:25approx. 28seconds faster than last week so happy days. I wonder how they measured the distance? Would love to double check that it is the full 5k as Ive never ran this fast before so if the time is right, id like to be sure of the distance.......

24:27 myself - did you have an heavy breathing 'well set' guy two paces behind you for the last 1500m?

Did you improve on your time from last week?
    Yes I imporved by about 20secs.
    Sure if you just take it week by week continue to improve, and enjoy the running, well then it has to fall in to place (patience is a virtue and it is really hard when you know you are not running at your full potential).

Im just going to take it week by week, focus on slicing any few seconds off but for me its important to make sure I enjoy it too, I know i will never win
    Me too :D
    the race so if Im not getting something out of it for myself well then why bother.

That a good time Ms C

mitresize5 wrote: »
    24:27 myself - did you have an heavy breathing 'well set' guy two paces behind you for the last 1500m?

Im not sure about two, but one definitely that was on my shoulder from when we got off the living bridge, passed just after it. was sure he was going to pass me before the end - could feel/hear his breathing until the finish line! :eek: :)

• Advertisement

ahem ...cough cough .. that would have been me ..... sorry if I freaked you out
    Just goes to show the benefit of a series like this ... I wouldn't have got the time I got if I hadn't tried my best to catch you. I'd have def slacked off a bit.

anyone get any results??? Not sure my email was clear(again)... I write like a doctor just wish i was paid like one!!:)

Results attached - well done all

How did you get your hands on them??
    Curiosity killed the cat I know....... :)

mitresize5 wrote: »
    ahem ...cough cough .. that would have been me ..... sorry if I freaked you out
    Just goes to show the benefit of a series like this ... I wouldn't have got the time I got if I hadn't tried my best to catch you. I'd have def slacked off a bit.

You didnt freak me out at all, just I was sure you were going to pass me out near the end. I felt like I was running like paula radcliffe - with my head jolting back, couldnt let myself slow down and you beat me. Isnt running amazing that I could be that competitive against someone Id never met before?

thanks for a great race, wouldnt have got that time but for you. I heard you say you took over a minute off your time from last week so congrats on that!

Same time same place so next week?? :cool:

• Advertisement

I just checked last weeks results and you finished just behind me last week as well!

Am I gonna have you breathing down my neck til the end of January???!!!

Well done Marie, 3rd lady home

18.13. 4th again. 35 second improvement over last week. Well thrilled. Another great race well done to all involved. Hopefully the ground will be dry next week. Those wet leaves are a hazard!

If anyone isn't getting your results emailed it's because I can't read your writting. My email is liz_gabbett@yahoo.ie. email me and I'll amend my mailing list details.

Bump !!!! tis on again tonight people.

Tis indeedy! last week of the 5km. Im knackered tired but sure will give it a lash anyway :)

How did the boardsies get on in this tonight?

Mighty! 3rd week in a row of getting a PB. Managed it in 23:49 - 36seconds faster than last week! Had my weekly battle with mitresize5 again!!

7km next week - should be interesting......

Well done MarieC thats great progress!

Another PB for me too, but only by 2 seconds from last week! 18.08. Lovely night for it. Looking forward to the longer distances already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement