Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick Winter Race Series

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Numbers were pretty much the same as last week, just over 60. A very well organised run, lovely atmosphere and it definitely caters to all levels. I can see this becoming an established event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

last night was a perfect night for the run, can be a little chaotic for the first 1km, just wondering did you get results?
    didn't receive an email yet.

jfh wrote: »
    last night was a perfect night for the run, can be a little chaotic for the first 1km, just wondering did you get results?
    didn't receive an email yet.

E-mail usually comes through this evening, after 6(ish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

thanks mariec for speedy reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

First time down there and enjoyed it despite my gasping desperately for air for the last 1km! Think I got round in about 23:10 but not sure as I forgot to stop my watch until got my breath back. Haven't got an email with the results so if anyone has it can they throw it up here?

Great to see such interest from boardsies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Bizbit

Please see attached document for results from the race on Thursday 19th. In case you didn't get the email I sent last night.

Next Thurs sees the start of the 7km distance.
    The route will be the same as the 5k route as far as the Spar shop. At this point you will turn left and run towards the Arena and head for the back gate of the university. Turn left outside the gate keeping on the path all the time. At the second bus stop just before the right turn for Kilmurray hotel - that is half-way. You will then turn around and run back the same path, past the the student union buildings and back on to the 5km course. It will be marshalled all the way so no need to worry about losing your way.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, REMEMBER YOUR HIGH-VIS VEST.

Wear numbers on your front and do not fold the numbers. It is hard to read numbers in the dark so pin them flat on the four corners of your top.

Thank you for your support. I and ULRC are very happy with the race series so far. Each night we are learning a bit more on organising a race and we appreciate all feedback. We hope to see you next week.

Yours in sport

Liz Gabbett and UL Rowing Club Members

Hi,
    I've been assessing the course for flood issues tomorrow night and I have consulted with UL buildings and est. I think we will be okay but there is a risk the waters will rise more tonight and could impact significantly on the route.
    I'm away from Limerick tonight and during work hours tomorrow and will only be back in Limerick late tomorrow afternoon.
    If I deem the course to be unsafe then I will call off the race. I know it will be late notice but I cannot call it any sooner.

Fingers crossed the race can go ahead.

Yours in sport

Liz
    ULRC

Bizbit wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm away from Limerick tonight and during work hours tomorrow and will only be back in Limerick late tomorrow afternoon.
    If I deem the course to be unsafe then I will call off the race. I know it will be late notice but I cannot call it any sooner.

Fair enough. Would it be possible to get a message up here before 5pm one way or the other? Obviously if there's a change after that we'll have to go with it but having a good idea at 5pm would help plan the evening:).

Hi - just back in Limerick now and have checked the route. It's clear. the first roundabout is flooded but accessible and UL est have put down boards and carpet on the path. Be careful here during the run.
    The run is going ahead tonight. Sorry about the rain but hopefully it will clear at 7pm.
    Liz

• Advertisement

Bizbit wrote: »
    Hi - just back in Limerick now and have checked the route. It's clear. the first roundabout is flooded but accessible and UL est have put down boards and carpet on the path. Be careful here during the run.
    The run is going ahead tonight. Sorry about the rain but hopefully it will clear at 7pm.
    Liz

Thanks Bizbit, in fairness its not your fault about the rain!!

So roll-call for this evening folks? Any/many gonna give it a lash?? I'll be there even if I did forget to bring my porridge to college and hence there may not be any PB for me this evening.......

I'll give it a lash even though I'm feeling a bit dodgy after the swine flu vacination I got.:( And the dog eat my homework and any other excuse I can preload in here to cover myself :P. The increase to 7km will certainly make a difference to my pace.

Oh yeah - I'll be the one in red (what else) in case you want to say hi.

I'll be the short(ish) one in a red jacket!

Red is so in these days! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Well I made it this week after a no show last because of a million reasons!!

But what a good race tonight, I was last to cross the start line, i like to do that as it's good for the confidence I think to be passing people rather than been passed .

Any way started off a steady pace and from just before the living bridge I passed out, who was the leading lady at the time. She had great support from stewards telling her she was the leading lady. Well we swaped places a few times but on the way back after coming of the living bridge she started to leave me behind. I hung in there but she soon opened a 50 meter gap by the time we got to the last round about from home. I gave it my all for the last 200 meters and pipped her and 3 other guys by about 5 meters to the line. SHe was very sporting lady and came over to me straight away and shook my hand I thanked her for dragging me around. I wouldn't have put in the final 200 meter effort if I hadn't had her to aim for.........

So thank you "First Home Lady"

Great race series,

Congrats Baza, sounds like you had a great run!

This race series is just going from strength to strength. There's a really happy, friendly atmosphere down there, the support from fellow runners is brilliant and the marshalls do a great job. Considering the miserable weather, the flooding, the fact its Christmas week and plenty drunken fools around, it is not an easy task they have!

Had got so used to the 5k route and routine of it that this one kind of threw me. I had no clue of whether I was going fast, slow or anything so I just bopped along. I did the first half in 17:02 which I didnt know whether or not to be happy with. What I like about the bit of extra distance is you meet more people on the overlap section and everyone is throwing support back and forth to one another so lots good encouragement. Had a brutal stitch after half way so that definitely knocked a minute on to my time Id say. Some forced deep breathing helped sort it but it definitely took from me.

Two lads had passed me, and after the living bridge I managed to nab them. I always wonder if fellas mind being passed by a girl? Anyway one of them caught me again after we turned in by the last roundabout, I gave it socks but couldnt catch, but did keep my position.

Finished in 34:17, 7.85min/mile pace so not too shabby I guess. Something to work on thats for sure.

RedB and mitre5size great to chat to ye, Baza and ULstudent we may meet yet!

Excellent race series, cant recommend it enough and delighted to be able support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I didn't go tonight as i was convinced it wouldn't be on! EEK. WOuldn't have had a hi -vis with me handy anyway. Was there a lot of floodyness down by the start?

• Advertisement

ULstudent wrote: »
    I didn't go tonight as i was convinced it wouldn't be on! EEK. WOuldn't have had a hi -vis with me handy anyway. Was there a lot of floodyness down by the start?

A lil floodiness but there were mats and step thingies so no actually wading through water. I was thinking it may have ended up being a mini-duathlon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Thats great running Marie.

ULstudent.... too many excuses!!! ;)

Yeah, we'll have to say hello next time around

MarieC wrote: »
    I always wonder if fellas mind being passed by a girl? Anyway one of them caught me again after we turned in by the last roundabout, I gave it socks but couldnt catch, but did keep my position.

Finished in 34:17, 7.85min/mile pace so not too shabby I guess. Something to work on thats for sure.

RedB and mitre5size great to chat to ye, Baza and ULstudent we may meet yet!

Excellent race series, cant recommend it enough and delighted to be able support it.

Marie - nice to meet you too. Great to put a face to the name and have the mutual support. Thanks for the shout out on the turn around. Hope to say hello to any other boardsies next time.

Fair play to the organisers and the many marshals on a cold wet evening. It was tremendous to see it so well run and so much effort. I thought the standard might slip as it went along but its all good.

I don't mind anyone passing me as it happens so often :) but I kept imagining footsteps right behind me which helped drive me on a bit. I managed to pass 2-3 on the return leg but there were 2 ahead of me from the pedestrian crossing before the bridge that I just couldn't pull in. The race aspect and the distances involved definitely makes me push it more than I normally would so that's gotta be good for improving. Managed it in about 33' flat with 16'40 at the turnaround so a slight negative split as I wasn't sure of the pace required on the way out.

Well done to all.

Hi,
    Just to let you know that we won't have the results from last nights race ready tonight. Just up the walls with work and playing catch up. I should have them for you tomorrow (Sat).

Well done to you all. Its great to see a high calibre of runners taking part every week. All are hardcore athletes for turning up each week - especially last night and braving heavy traffic and floods to get there!

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement.

Liz and all the marshals and timekeepers!

Hi all brave and hardcore runners for making it on Thursday night!

Here are the results of the 1st 7km race. Well done to everyone. Hopefully all will be good with the 7km route this Thurs 3rd Dec and we'll see you at the boathouse at 6.30.

***IMPORTANT NOTICE ***
    I have to postpone the last 7km race on the 10th of Dec. The UL student exams are on that week and as a result there will be a shortage of people to marshal and timekeep the race. Your safety is my number 1. priority. If I don't have enough marshals there is a safety risk to you.
    Therefore ULRC will host 4 races in the new year starting the 7th Jan (7km), 14th (10km), 21th (10km) & 28th (10km).

AGAIN I need to reiterate my request that
    ALL RUNNERS MUST WEAR HIGH-VIS VESTS!

Again - Well done to everyone.

Yours in Sport
    Liz

• Advertisement

Well how many of us will be stepping out tonight to do the last one of these before Christmas?

Im oh so tired but I do have my extra supply of porridge with me today so all is not lost!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Well how many of us will be stepping out tonight to do the last one of these before Christmas?

Im oh so tired but I do have my extra supply of porridge with me today so all is not lost!:rolleyes:

I think i will ... only thing is though iv ran just under 28 miles since monday and ran twice yesterday so the legs are not in racing shape i think.

On the porridge note - i'm currently eating cinnamon and raisin porridge. Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Hopefully I will be out there this evening...complete with my ridiculously oversized hi vis vest.

Haven't ran a 7k before - 5k < 7k < 5mile - somewhere between the two I guess.

I'll be there too. Guy in the long sleeved red top (+hi vis :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭kevin7

Looks like from the post a few days ago that tonite's run is cancelled. :(
    However, looks like its not going to stop people anyway, so I think I'll nip down too and see if whoever does turn up wants to go for it anyway.

aaaaaahhhhh forget it!!!

I see that its the run from the 10th Dec. that is canned. Sorry!

Right...tonight will be my first 7K...cant wait to get on down there now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭kevin7

Right! Back from that! Nice to meet RedB (again!) and MarieC and chat over the delicous mince pies after the run!

A very good event and one I look forward to when it returns in January. Soooo much better than the bog-standard jog alone which is all I ever usually do.

I'd guess there were about 60 people there tonight.

I turned off the car radio on the way down and said, right, think......how to run this 7K?? Whats my target? Have to give it some more meaning!

In the handful of 5K and 10K events I have done, I have always gone off too fast and faded from the halfway point. So I figured my not overly exertive jogging pace is about 5mins per km, and in my best times for 5Ks (when I was killing myself!) is about 4:20 per km. Using these I reckoned if I did EVERY km in 4:40 I'd be very very happy.....well, it'd be a target to aim for anyway.

After 1K, looked at the watch....4:05...great! but not great...I had done it again....tearing off way too fast. 2nd K 4:15. Slowed down after that, really struggling around the halfway stage and back to the college.

Overall time was 32:15, which is an average of about 4:35 per k......funny enough thats very close to my target time, but I'd love to be able to get a more consistent pace throughout.

Any tips on how to resist the temptation to start too quick?

Thanks to the boat club for arganinsing this...well done.

Nice to meet you too Kevin. Those mince pies were v.tasty! Was quite tempted to stuff a few more in the pockets!

Was exhausted going down to the run last night but I knew Id be kicking myself if I didnt go. Headed off and felt good, not great but sure at least I was doing it. Was delighted at the half way mark that I was there at 16:48, 14seconds earlier than the previous week. Felt like I was doing a good steady pace that I could maintain, no stitch like last week so happy days. Was deffo tiring tho - other weeks if I heard someone behind me Id kick it up another gear and try to stay ahead, this week a fella passed me not far from the finish and I had nothing to fight back with.

Was really annoyed to finish bang on the same time as last week. Its the first week that I haven't improved on my previous time so was slightly ticked off with myself.

Here's hoping by January I am rested and rearing to go with plenty in the tank.

Well done Liz and gang for organising such a fantastic event. See y'all in January!!!

Enjoyed the race last night, fair play to the rowing club and all the stewards en route. I think I finished around 28'20 (didn't stop my watch until 2 hours later when I was back home...:o) but will see when the results get circulated.

I think I got to the halfway point in 13'45 so that means I was about a minute slower on the way back which isn't great but no one passed me in the second half so that'll be my silver lining. I should really be finishing at least sub 28 and that'll be my first target for January 2010!

Well done to all runners who did the race last night. We had 68 + 1 (dog) runners – our biggest turn out yet! Thank you for your support.
    Next weeks 7km race has been postponed till the 7th of Jan due to student exams and as a result shortage of marshals and timekeepers.
    BUT I hope to see you all in the New Year.

I'm glad many of you came up for the mince pies!

Have a Merry Christmas and a great New Year,

Yours in Sport

All in ULRC

kevin7 wrote: »
    Any tips on how to resist the temptation to start too quick?

Stick with me :D. Mr Negative Split strikes again. 16:30 Halfway 32' 41 finish :)

• Advertisement

Email that was sent by the organisers last night:

"Hi folks,

I hope you all had a good Christmas and 2010 has got of to a good start.

The 7km race of the ULRC run series that was due to take place this Thursday (7th) has to be postponed due to the icy weather conditions we are experiencing. The Met Eireann forecast isn't good for this coming Thursday and because we run at night, this means we don't have much chance of decent surface conditions.
    Hopefully the cold snap will break after this coming weekend and the 7km run can go ahead on Thurs 14th.
    Safety comes first!

Yours in sport

Liz"

Here's this weeks cancellation lads. Feckin weather!!

"Hi Folks,

I hope you are well.

Unfortunately I have to postpone the 7km run of the ULRC run series again this week. I've checked the weather forecast. Even though there is a thaw during the day there is still a hard frost forecasted for Wednesday and Thursday night.
    Safety is paramount. I have to make the call tonight and based on the forecast i have to postpone the race.
    Fingers and toes crossed I'll see you next week on the 21st!

Yours in sport

Liz"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 runrunrun

any results from that 8miler from new years day?

From the organisers:

"Hi Folks,

I hope you are well. I'm very happy to let you know that the ULRC 7km run is going ahead this Thursday 21st night. 6.30pm registration. Race start at 7pm.
    PLEASE wear your high viz vests!!

I hope to see many of you there

Yours in sport
    Liz"

So roll call for tomorrow night? I'll be there anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Might give this a lash tomorrow night - have finally gotten back to some level of fitness where I won't totally embarass myself.

Does anyone know btw when the Adare 10k is on this year? I think it was early March last year but haven't heard anything about it yet

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Does anyone know btw when the Adare 10k is on this year? I think it was early March last year but haven't heard anything about it yet

And while yer at it, any word on the Plassey 10k?

And while yer at it, any word on the Plassey 10k?

Thought I saw it on the UL Sports Dept Calander for April 10th but not sure. Will check this evening.
    :( thats the day before the Connemarathon.

Don't think I'll be there tomorrow as swimming session is now taking up my Thurs evening slot. Enjoy the nicer weather.

I think Adare 10k is down for 7th March. Plassey 10k is usually late March.

RedB wrote: »
    Thought I saw it on the UL Sports Dept Calander for April 10th but not sure. Will check this evening.

Plassey 10k is definitely on the Calander for April 10th.
    Adare 10k is on runireland calander as Sun March 7th 2pm.

• Advertisement

From Bizbit:

Hi Folks,

It was great to see you all last night. Thanks a million for your support for the series and well done on doing the race. Please see the results attached.

Next week is the 1st of the 10k distances. It is 2 laps of the 5k course. Hopefully the weather will work with us and all of you will give it a go!

Don't forget High Viz vest is obligatory.

Yours in sport

Liz and all in ULRC

RedB wrote: »

Don't think I'll be there tomorrow as swimming session is now taking up my Thurs evening slot. Enjoy the nicer weather.

Thanks for that RedB. Bit of a bummer that weekend. Not only does it clash with Connemara but also the Heineken Cup quarter final!!!

Anyone joining me for this tonight??

Yeah, hoping to make it out there. The 7k went well last week.

The toughest thing about tonight will be having to turn around at the boathouse after 5k and head back around again.

Yeah definitely, will be interesting how that goes, id say it will be hard to keep the momentum.

Bit of a slog last night, the wind over the bridges didn't help but managed to get around in one piece.

There was a decent turnout again. Wasn't expecting as many to do the 10k but credit to all. Because of the nature of the course, there were plenty of opportunities to encourage other people or get encouragement which was nice.

As a general aside, it's crazy how many people you see out running in Limerick every evening since the turn of the year...think it's a combo of new years resolutions and the LMK marathon on the bank holiday weekend. Great to see.

Results attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Giving this a lash tonight. How did people find the 2 laps?

the 2 laps were grand. i found the 2nd lap a good bit quieter than the first. I like the route so it was fine, and psychologically it was no bother turning around and going back at it again.

Cant go next week so tonight is my last night of this series, its been great in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thanks MarieC. Is it still €5?

It is indeedy, €3 for students, €5 for staff of UL/public.
    I really hope it stops raining though.......

Well folks its a gorgeous day for running so if people are conisdering going to the last race of the UL Rowing race series, they really should. Good fun and great atmosphere.

I can't make tonights race so best of luck to all who do venture out for it. Enjoy!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement