Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driving test in Limerick query...

Options
  • 29-10-2009 5:33pm

Hi, I did my first driving test 5 years ago, I failed. I have just begun driving again after 5 years and have recieved notification of another test in December....in the Woodview centre, just wondering if they are passing more people these days or is it just as difficult? I didnt make any big mistakes first time around just a few small things and failing made me totally lose confidence....I know I can cancel and get a later date but then again I dont want it hanging over me....only on the road 2weeks....anyone any info? thanks... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Probably not of much encouragement but I failed there at the start of the month, I was convinced I had passed but he failed me for traffic signs, hardly any other faults.

It is difficult enough to keep the head and do all the right things- they ask questions now beforehand and identifying traffic signs etc, that has changed.

Go for it and do your best...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They are fair mean there! I got my test beside NCT centre in Eastway - the instructor was really sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I dont know if your getting lessons or not, but doing a driving test without getting lessons before hand is a complete waste of time. Get lessons , do the routes in that area, listen to all the advice of the instructor, don't stop driving the way he tells you to until you have the test passed.

Dont feel bad about failing. Its just a test of how you are on the day. IMO It doesnt really reflect on your driving (unless your an awful dangerous driver)
    Dont try and be 'cool' when doing your test, show confidence on the road, but show that you are really ridiculously cautious, exaggerate your mirror looks etc.
    They want to see that youve bothered paying for lessons and have done the routes, it makes their job easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

I took mine in Shannon and Limerick. passed on the 5th time. I have driven better and failed. A lot of it is the mood of the instructor

Its a total scam to keep themselves in employment. I never made any major errors all minor things. The system needs a total revamp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

so everyone admits to making a number of minor errors but still blames the instructor? If they didnt care about minor errors, they wouldnt have them on the page, and they wouldnt be called errors. it all adds up.

Ammers, best of luck with it, but definitely try get at least 4 lessons in on the routes near the test centre, with a recommended instructor, it makes the world of difference and they'll point out the little stuff that might add up to a fail.

• Advertisement

I have heard so many different stories...for example my brother was only driving a couple of months and was sure he failed at the NCT centre but the tester told him he had seen worse drivers that week and passed him!:eek: then my Sister in law did hers last year and was told that 'technically' she had failed but the tester told her that he knew there was a good driver 'in there somewhere':confused: and passed her.....other people I know have failed a number of times in both places in Limerick before finally passing...and someone else told me Shannon was easy and now ive heard differently.....I dont know, I know I can postpone it but I will wait and see how Im doing in the week leading up to it, I am literally just back driving and of course I would get lessons leading up to the test but its finding the time at the moment as I have a newborn to look after and barely get up and down to the shops in the car.....:rolleyes: thanks for your replies guys, appreciate them, hopefully I will get some more too...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

OP theres no point in letting all these contrasting stories wreck your head. My advice would be find a place where you know the area, and then do everything the instructor tells you.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Hi, I did my first driving test 5 years ago, I failed. I have just begun driving again after 5 years and have recieved notification of another test in December....in the Woodview centre, just wondering if they are passing more people these days or is it just as difficult? I didnt make any big mistakes first time around just a few small things and failing made me totally lose confidence....I know I can cancel and get a later date but then again I dont want it hanging over me....only on the road 2weeks....anyone any info? thanks... :)

Everyone should have a certain amount of confidence in their driving, that isn't based on the results of any test. If something small like failing your test made you lose confidence in your driving, I imagine in your heart and soul you know you were never a strong enough driver, and you should get lessons/experience untill you have that confidence, which doesn't come from passing a test.

Advertisement