Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henrik Larsson retires

• 29-10-2009 6:03pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

BBC link

A great player, a hero to Celtic fans, Swedens best ever imo and a player with one of the best footballing minds ive seen. He changed the game for Barca when he came on in the CL final and even won a Premier league medal with Man Utd. He's a loss to the game of football and a man who will be rememberd o so fondly by so many

Thanks for all the memories Henrik

site---larson.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

I think this goal summed up Henrik Larsson perfectly.

A true great. Can't stand Celtic but he was amazing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Great player, one of the best of his generation. He was one of my first footballing memories playing for the great Swedish team of '94.

Seems a shame that he didn't spend longer at a top team at his peak because he was certainly good enough to play at the best teams in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Fantastic player, and a fantastic pro. Even though I didnt want him to leave, it was great to see him keep his word to his boyhood club and return when his loan deal was up at United despite being asked to reconsider. One of the best strikers of the last decade, his finishing is up there with the very best. Single handedly turned the Champions League final vs Arsenal in Barcelona's favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

My favourite Celtic player of all time, a true legend.
    I was delighted when he joined United, but disappointed when he left. Shows the loyalty that he to, to choose playing for Helsingborg over playing for one of the best teams in the world.
    I was delighted to see him win the Champions League with Barca.
    He'll be greatly missed by the footballing world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Great player even though he played for Celtic my teams biggest rivals
    A true professional and a great role model

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

True legend and a big favourite of mine, even if he did turn that Champions League Final away form us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Without a doubt one of the players I admire most. Supremely talented, loyal and has a fantastic attitude. His name will still be on the lips of Celtic fans in 50 years time. A living legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

A great player and a great pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

RIP

WTF he is not dead just retired :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

RIP

:confused:

Anyway, Larsson absolute legend, great pro who still did it at the highest level even after his best days in Glasgow. One of the few people I have never heard a bad word about in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

The boy should be sent to stud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not Celtic fan but have to say he was some player to watch.

Great player and great pro for all the clubs he played for. Seemed like honest man too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

a true great; humble, loyal and deadly in front of goal. . .henrik will always be a personal hero :)

kids, this is the kind of player you should aspire to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

One thread is about Larsson ..a man who made the most of his talents, was admired by all football fans regardless of club affinity and never got into trouble.

In another thread we have a scumbag called King who completely wasted his talents and is off to jail for 18 months...seriously wtf is wrong with some people.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Miap

Great player really enjoyed watching him play. Was delighted to see him at united really wish hed stayed longer!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Henrik Larsson is The King of Kings.

I went to Celtic games for years just to watch Henke.

Deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Theres something rather poignant and terribly saddening about Henrik's career ending on the day that one of the biggest Celtic fans on this forum and someone who no doubt idolised him passes away.:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Larsson is the only proper Celtic legend I think I'll see in my lifetime.

Was missed as soon as he played his last game for Celtic, and will be for a long long time. Celtic were blessed to have such a quality player stay with them for 7 years.

Hopefully he'll be back to the club at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

flahavaj wrote: »
    Theres something rather poignant and terribly saddening about Henrik's career ending on the day that one of the biggest Celtic fans on this forum and someone who no doubt idolised him passes away.:(

I just read this on the other thread. I'm stunned at this... I can't quite believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Messages from SAF in there amongst others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

PauloMN wrote: »
    I just read this on the other thread. I'm stunned at this... I can't quite believe it.

This thread won't be the same without his input.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I should hate him since he came on and stopped Arsenal from winning the Champions League and later helped United win the Premiership.... but how can anyone hate such a brilliant player who was a model pro?
    What a guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Galvasean wrote: »
    I should hate him since he came on and stopped Arsenal from winning the Champions League and later helped United win the Premiership.... but how can anyone hate such a brilliant player who was a model pro?
    What a guy!

Pretty much my feelings on the guy, he ripped us a new one for years!

However he was probably the last world class player to set foot in the SPL, i doubt we'll see the likes of him again.
    A Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

One of Celtic's best ever and a class act on and off the pitch and one of my fave players ever!

I remember when I was in primary school years ago I chose to draw him in a art competition mainly because all you had to draw was a green and white striped stick figure with dreadlocks!
    I somehow won and enjoyed about 20 easter eggs so thanks for that too Henrik!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sunset V wrote: »
    I think this goal summed up Henrik Larsson perfectly.

A true great. Can't stand Celtic but he was amazing for them.

Fixed that there.

You can talk about Messi, Pirlo, Ronadlinho and Ronaldo but when I'm asked in years to come who I reckon is the best footballer of my generation, this guy will be very high in my reckoning. He had serious class on the pitch. People always said it was a shame he didn't play at some of the biggest teams in Europe. But all through his peak, he stuck with the team that gave him a home and made him a legend.

Then, when he'd more than served his due, and was seemingly past his peak, he goes and plays for Barcelona, where he was adored, not least because of the Champions League Final. He heads to his boyhood club to finish his career. United take him on loan during the close-season in Sweden and having made such a difference for them, is give the chance to stay on.

But what does the guy do? He politely refuses and follows through on his commitment to Helsingborg.

Class at every turn. A genius on the pitch. An absolute legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

did he get the premiership medal with united? i thought he didnt play enough games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

As has been mentioned, Larsson is cut from old cloth, a true pro where he went and may he enjoy a well earned retirement. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Legend is a word that gets thrown around a lot in football, but it's not a strong enough description for the man.

Class act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

The_B_Man wrote: »
    did he get the premiership medal with united? i thought he didnt play enough games?

From Wiki:
    Manchester United won the Premier League two months after Larsson had left the club, and although he had not played the required quota of 10 league games to qualify for a Premier League winners medal, he, alongside Alan Smith, was granted special dispensation by the Premier League after the club requested extra medals for the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

A truely amazing footballer and person I genuinely have never heard a bad word spoken about the guy, I can safely say I will never see someone of he's class at paradise again, as a player that is - I look forward to the day he's appointed to the coaching staff which lets be honest cant come soon enough ;) HAIL HAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

As a footballer, I honestly beleive, he was one of the best strikers of his generation. He was absolutely lethal in the box. His movement, his link up play, his finishing were all world class. He's right up there with the likes of Henry and brazilian Ronaldo imho.

As a man the path of his career shows his rare loyalty and honour.

He is already a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

As a season ticket holder at Celtic for the whole time Larsson played for Celtic, I had the privilege of seeing him at his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Unreal player and one of the best footballing brains I've ever seen. His positioning and ability to read the game was second to none. Was delighted when he signed for us and it was just a pity that he was coming to the end of his career at the top level.

Funnily enough this is the game I'll remember him most for - unfortunately. One of the best footballing displays I've seen. He was immense in it.

Enjoy retirement Henke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

One the games Finest!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Amazing servant for Barca, utter professional in every sense of the word.

Advertisement