Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I promised a thread on the future of Boards...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

That brings up it's own issues though. What happens if I post a mod warning on thread, that means I can't mod a thread I just modded? :D
    Well by mod there I meant give points to posts. How I've seen it set up before you can give or take points from posts, and if you then comment on the thread, whatever points you gave to posts in that thread vanish. Official moderator actions wouldn't fall under the scope of that.
    seamus wrote: »
    they will "demote" every single post which doesn't conform to their point of view, regardless of quality and then it becomes less about the debate and more about point-scoring.
    If there was a limited daily pool of "post points", say 3 to start out with, you couldn't give points and post in the same thread, and it was organised in such a way that consistently downmodding one poster would remove your points for a while, I'd say most or all of those problems would be headed off.

Broadly I'm describing systems I've seen working for other large sites, which have little to no moderator interaction, and have an excellent quality of debate on all sorts of fairly polarising issues (partisan politics in the US!), in line with the long term sustainability goal. It would need a fair bit of refinement to fit in boards, but I think it could work.

The main thing to get across to posters is that there is no "-1 disagree" option, if they feel strongly enough about a post they should (and probably will) respond in the thread anyway. Of course by doing so they nullify their points given in the thread. Deliberate trolls, spam and people getting abusive are what will be targeted by this, leading to generally decent debate. Its not quite self correcting but as close as I've seen so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I wrote it, I might as well post it.

I've decided to get my say in before the 2 week deadline. I'm not back, but this thread is somewhat unfinished business I started so I feel I probably should comment but I'm of two minds.

You've said you want something which
    • Defines what the site is (And presumably isn't)
    • Where the Site is going
    • Its purpose,
    • Intent,
    • Reason for existing.
    Additionally you stated that you want to
    • Define Social structures for good governance.
    • A democratic (My interpretation) mechanism for sustained growth.
    And lastly
    • How we go about changing and reinvent (reincarnate) the site/community

What we are;

A constitution is at its core a set of rules for government. It defines the duty of a ruling body to the people it "rules" and the social mechanisms/offices of that ruling body. It seems obvious to me that what's needed (If it's needed at all) isn't a constitution but rather a much larger document or documents which encompasses far more then would be in your traditional constitution.

Some of the things you want to do seem mutually exclusive or at the very least to render other objectives pointless. If you're planning to define a methodology by which the community can change, adept, expand and grow (expansion is different to growth in my opinion) then surely why we originally existed or what we are at this moment in time is irrelevant. As soon as you nail down what we are, we're something different. Boards is like a river, it can never be stepped in twice.

Another point is that as soon as you define what something is, people have a habit of thinking that's all it can ever be. This is what we are, this is what we do, we can't do the other thing because that's not who we are or what we do. This twisted circular logic becomes very prevalent once people forget (If they ever knew to begin with) the spirit behind why something was defined as "like this" in first place. Say five years ago we defined ourselves as a discussion forum for gaming and gaming related matters. That may have been a great comfort to all those who were here for gaming specific reasons, but we wouldn't have the boards.ie soccer team, the SFF, the boards.ie comedy nights, the boards.ie commercial interaction forums ect.

Where we're going;

I don't see how you can plan where a site is going. Well I do, by forcing it down a certain path. If a path is chosen organically, then you can't predict it, too many variables. A better idea, I think, would be to outline where the site isn't going. What it will hopefully never become. Providing a mechanism for changing and expanding is something you can do. just because the future is an open road doesn't mean you can't be prepared for the trip.

The movement towards democratic structures is something I personally don't want to see and feel would be ultimately destroy the site. Every ****tard having an equal say in the running of the site. I don't think so. I'm disappointed that the thanks system was reintroduced on feedback. I saw moderators of a half dozen forums post saying they can't be arsed coming up with a reply, but feel their opinion should count as well. It's the ultimate in X-Factor mentality.

Why are we going there;

Serious question, why any of this? Alot of people assume this site is a massive money spinner. I have my doubts about that. Why are we on a path towards growth and expansion. The bigger we get the more problems which seem to come up. The suggested reason for our continuous growth and expansion is that we will someday become a political and economic focal point, capable of shaping the Irish daily life (Hell maybe even European life).The community on its own will never converge towards being this, someone is going to have to transform it into this beast. I don't see where the benefit for your average boards.ie user is is in it, but I can certainly see the problems as political and commercial objectives are given greater prominence.

Social Structures;

Progressive and Regressive

Regressive; Removing a users "right" to appeal. It would certainly create the impression of harmony. Hey look how we get on, we never fight but we never talk either. Sometimes you need to burn the forest down so that life doesn't stagnate. While its true the administrators seldom come down against moderators, they will often argue on behalf of users, saying "Thats somewhat harsh" or mediating. They'll never be demodding moderators at the same rate they ban users.

Progressive; Increase users rights to appeal via user representatives. Elected or dictated representatives are pointless. Firstly electing anyone to a position of authority creates the impression all position of authority should be elected, secondly the fact that its a position of authority means the person is "on the inside". Let users pick their own representative if and when they need them.

Rb;

Rb has a point regardless of how he presents it. I for the life of me cannot conceive why people moderate Adverts.ie , a site with no community and which is geared towards making money for someone else. Now there are elements on this site who want the administrators to be completely outside elements, with no vested interests in the greater boards community. The hope being that if they're outsiders then they wont be biased for or against anyone. The stupidity of this hope I find astounding. So magical pixies from the land of make believe will somehow volunteer their time for no remunerations to support a community they have no part in. Sounds like a recipe for ham-handedness.

Marketing;

A point raised was, what happens if tomorrow some pen pushing sales representative starts making the calls on the site and starts doing things we are fundamentally against that we feel aren't in keeping with what boards.ie is about. Such as sponsored forums. You're no going to stop this bull**** by having some charter saying "We won't do X,Y,Z" because any static system will be defeated by a dynamic enemy. People will find a work around. So what do you do instead? You Create a system whereby people can say "Hey thats not right" and others can say "I agree".

Community moderators system;

I'd personally set about destroying such a system in short order. I wouldn't be the only one. The system is just another step towards becoming a soulless mess. Where people post messages because they know they'll be plus repped rather then because its a genuinely held belief. Content on the site then stops resembling anything you'll encounter in the real world. I can't believe that in a thread dedicated to the discussion of boards and its spirit/principles someone would suggest such a thing. It's like entrusted the rule of law to the mob and expecting the collective intelligences to increase rather then plummet.

Besides all that, assuming the system works exactly as intended. Why does some random user get an equal say in how valued a post should be. Ney, worse then that, why does some random user get to decide what I read simply based on their own tastes. It's democratic but its sucks.

How do we measure success?;

A point was made that few people walk away from a site over the small things. They stay, change and move on. I think in reality its very hard to gauge the positive or negative affects of any change using any metric on a site like boards. Sometimes something happens and established users stop posting in an abrupt and spectacular fashion but this is rare. Mostly people just slowly post less and less until one day they haven't posted in a year and the forum has move on. Is the site worse off? Depends what the person contributed. Hard to judge. We may be sitting here thinking everything is great, and tomorrow a half dozen forums collapse into mediocrity and no one notices.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What the hell happened that post the last time you posted it 2 days ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

What the hell happened that post the last time you posted it 2 days ago?

He deleted it himself.

Glad to see it back though, lots of useful food for thought there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Conor wrote: »
    He deleted it himself.

Really? Why the hell did you delete that, Boston? You make a lot of good points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Really? Why the hell did you delete that, Boston? You make a lot of good points.

That's probably best dealt with elsewhere to avoid getting dragged off-topic here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

If the system were to have a constitution compared to a democratic constitution then the mods would be police only, and not police and judiciary. That is a ban does not have to be appealed, but is automatically judged by an admin via PM.

The user gets a PM saying he has been (temporarily) banned from a forum for a specific duration and gets to reply not to the mod, but to the Admin ( the judge), cc'ing the mod. he can then present the case for the defence. Then the decision is made by the admin. Or Super Mod. It would be important that the Admins or Super Mods dont always rubber stamp decisions.

I wouldnt do this for anybody with less than 100 posts.
    Infractions would not get the automatic "judicial" case, but are similar to parking tickets. Appealing a infraction could end up with a bigger infraction, or even a ban, by the "judge" if the thinks the mod was too lenient ( so too with bans).

All of this is done in PM, and while cases are pending bans are in force. Nobody comes in feedback for these issues. One appeal only.

This system would remove the idea - true or not - that some mod, or other, has it in for certain users.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

asdasd wrote: »
    If the system were to have a constitution compared to a democratic constitution then the mods would be police only, and not police and judiciary. That is a ban does not have to be appealed, but is automatically judged by an admin via PM.

The user gets a PM saying he has been (temporarily) banned from a forum for a specific duration and gets to reply not to the mod, but to the Admin ( the judge), cc'ing the mod. he can then present the case for the defence. Then the decision is made by the admin. Or Super Mod. It would be important that the Admins or Super Mods dont always rubber stamp decisions.

While I get what you are saying here I think going to the mod in question first is still best. In some case people are happy with their bans and even knew it was going to happen (calling a spade a spade can be too tempting regardless of the consequences). In other cases I've banned people and when they explained it to me over pm I realise that I either mis-read the comment or took it out of context. Once it was even a fairly obvious simpson quote taken out of context and I felt like an idiot for not seeing it. If these where to go straight to the admins, it would likely take longer for the user to get a response and it would take more admin time.
    I wouldnt do this for anybody with less than 100 posts.
    Infractions would not get the automatic "judicial" case, but are similar to parking tickets. Appealing a infraction could end up with a bigger infraction, or even a ban, by the "judge" if the thinks the mod was too lenient ( so too with bans).

All of this is done in PM, and while cases are pending bans are in force. Nobody comes in feedback for these issues. One appeal only.

Not a big fan of the way the penalty points system is to be honest. Giving people more points if their appeal is overturned is bullshít. I'd really hate to see that apply to anywhere on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Boston wrote: »
    Serious question, why any of this? Alot of people assume this site is a massive money spinner. I have my doubts about that.
    The evidence that Boards Ltd now employs a cadre of permanent employees would suggest otherwise.

I think that boards is no different from a lot of other international sites that initially experienced growth and now are at that 'difficult second album' stage.

It's a difficult transitionary period, having initially grown organically and informally and now finding itself worrying the bone over the most arcane of its internal rules.

I've held my tongue on this for a while, but I really do think that the collective management of boards has started to take itself and everything too seriously.

I see less and less new users coming on board and the old cliche more than happy to propagate the signal to noise ratio, bolstering the google adsence revenue in the process.

• Advertisement

The evidence that Boards Ltd now employs a cadre of permanent employees would suggest otherwise.

I think that boards is no different from a lot of other international sites that initially experienced growth and now are at that 'difficult second album' stage.

It's a difficult transitionary period, having initially grown organically and informally and now finding itself worrying the bone over the most arcane of its internal rules.

I've held my tongue on this for a while, but I really do think that the collective management of boards has started to take itself and everything too seriously.

I see less and less new users coming on board and the old cliche more than happy to propagate the signal to noise ratio, bolstering the google adsence revenue in the process.

Revenue doesn't equal profit. The idea that just because you employ people (and no its not a lot of people), then you have to be making money hand over fist, is nonsense. It strikes me that you've never ran a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Revenue doesn't equal profit. The idea that just because you employ people (and no its not a lot of people), then you have to be making money hand over fist, is nonsense. It strikes me that you've never ran a company.
    Your original phrase was 'money spinner'. Not revenue, not profit.

I do know the difference between the two as I have indeed been running my own limited company for the past eleven years.

I really don't want to get drawn into one of your classic arguments over semantics...you'll feel better after your first coffee of the day, honestly.

So what was your point then? If cost equals revenue then there is no profit, and money is not a motivator. You clearly tried to use the fact boards is able to cover the cost of a few employees to support the position that money is a motivator.

I'm sure your company is a massive money spinner for you as we know all companies are. However the cost of all those soap boxes you like to pontificate upon more then equal the revenue.

Theres something else that I was hoping someone else would pick up on but evidently not. The list of directors given by DeVore is interesting. I had assumed that the directors where the original administrators plus Eamon Fallen, but this appears not to be the case. Paul Kenny, (I assume the same Paul Kenny from iona tech) appears to have a strong role. Boards.ie is already 2 ffifths run by people with no link to the community. The sales rep running the site scenario doesn't seem that unlikely.

For those interested, boards.ie Ltd at the end of 2008 was about 85,000 (95K before tax) in the green and in 2007 was about 25,000 (29K before tax) in the green (after Tax and other liabilities) and the company was valued at approximately 127,000 euro. This is not a huge amount of money for a site which at the time had two full time employees. There hasn't been a huge increase into new revenue areas between now and 2008, so I can't imagine there's much more money floating about after hiring two community directors and another developer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Boards.ie is already 2 thirds run by people with no link to the community.

That is not actually correct.
    They many be directors, but they have no real say on how the site is run and leave that to the people who actually know.

hmm

The valuation of 127K seems low for a company with 85K profit.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have 5 official directors, Dan, Gerry, Me, Paul and Eamonn. I dunno where you get your facts Boston but they are as accurate as ever. :)

The company will make a small loss this year I expect, we have invested inwardly in people and servers (4 new ones are being staged to go live).

Paul is a key person inside boards now, and I'm very happy for that in fact. Daft are far from the enemy, believe me I've been pretty vocal about my "beloved community" but even I accept that they are good for us. The idea of a future proofing document for the community was in fact, Paul's.

I've decided to scale it back considerably based on some of the arguments here. I dont want to start writing a book of Law for boards, what I want to get is something like a "Charter" for the whole site, to let everyone know our base goals and how the big bits should interact.

Now, I have an urgent family matter to attend to this week so I'm sorry, I may or may not get much time to write.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Only got around to reading your post now Boston. You make a lot of good points.
    If you're planning to define a methodology by which the community can change, adept, expand and grow (expansion is different to growth in my opinion) then surely why we originally existed or what we are at this moment in time is irrelevant. As soon as you nail down what we are, we're something different. Boards is like a river, it can never be stepped in twice.
    I would disagree per se. It is very possible to make a loose and flexible definition. But I've a programmer's brain, so I believe that it's possible to take *anything* back to first principles and define it with all the flexibility it needs.

I think the word "constitution" might be a bad one - not because of what a constitution actually is but because of what it's taken to mean. Most consider it to be a stuffy document with high-falutin concepts and absolutes. In reality a constitution should be an ever-evolving concept which is defined by the community it describes and not the other way around. It's the Irish legal process which makes people think of a constitution as a dictatorial document.
    I don't see how you can plan where a site is going. Well I do, by forcing it down a certain path. If a path is chosen organically, then you can't predict it, too many variables. A better idea, I think, would be to outline where the site isn't going. What it will hopefully never become. Providing a mechanism for changing and expanding is something you can do. just because the future is an open road doesn't mean you can't be prepared for the trip.
    I think this is the entire point. What boards has struggled with so far is change. A new issue or a new concept appears and it starts a ripple through the community which becomes high profile. Eventually it gets resolved and the site changes for the better, but not without a lot of stress and strain. The size of the site now causes these things to occur ever more rapidly and the sheer number of moderators in particular means that "scandal" is occurring on a more frequent basis. Proportionally, no more is probably occurring than ever did. But the site needs a framework by which it can grab change and grab issues as soon as they occur and figure out how to sort them. A 50-page thread in feedback which culminates in whinging and protesting and someone getting a punch on a night out will still come out with a resolution, but there has to be a better way. We need to keep the passion but direct it properly instead of it just resulting in a whole heap of fricition.
    Regressive; Removing a users "right" to appeal. It would certainly create the impression of harmony. Hey look how we get on, we never fight but we never talk either. Sometimes you need to burn the forest down so that life doesn't stagnate. While its true the administrators seldom come down against moderators, they will often argue on behalf of users, saying "Thats somewhat harsh" or mediating. They'll never be demodding moderators at the same rate they ban users.
    There's never been any plan to remove users' right to appeal and in fact it's been recognised that (as I mention above) due to the higher volumes of people on the site a structured approach to handling appeals is required. There are more moderators, more posts, more people, and therefore there are more complaints.
    One bonus of having a very large site is that the "clique" gets diluted and there is less personal resistance to "reprimanding" moderators and administrators for their actions.
    Let users pick their own representative if and when they need them.
    Sounds like a good idea tbh. Although I'm not mad on the idea that you have a "solicitor" to argue for you.

This is because of of something (I think) that I posted earlier on - the Irish (though it may not be uniquely Irish) love to try wriggling out of what they've done wrong. If they can point to a flaw in the rules, or a precedent or anything whatsoever which lets them get off the hook, they tend to. They don't look at the moral or the ethical they examine the legal. And boards need to *not* do that. Boards needs to disconnect itself from the idea of static rules and regulations and move towards something more dynamic.

The right and wrong of the ban (for example) is what's important. It doesn't matter that there's no "No personal abuse" rule in the Music forum (again, for example). If you act like an asshat, you get banned. We all know how to act like decent human beings, you fail to do that, you get banned.

Does it stay open for abuse? Absolutely. But then so does the current system. Moving away from legal precision is *fairer* because then appeals are handled on its own merit and not based on some ambiguous wording, loophole or precedent.

So from that POV a user representative being "appointed" by the user (if they wish) is a nice idea because all it really does is give the user the opportunity to ask someone else to take a fresh look at it and decide for themselves about the rightness or wrongness of the case.

Paul Kenny, (I assume the same Paul Kenny from iona tech) appears to have a strong role. Boards.ie is already 2 thirds run by people with no link to the community. The sales rep running the site scenario doesn't seem that unlikely.
    I'm assuming you mean "two-fifths"? :) And no, daft don't actually "run" the site at all. Sitting on the board of directors is not the same thing as being in charge. If there's one thing that daft know, it's the importance of keeping your userbase happy and not treating them as exploitable objects. Despite its enormous size, daft have never gone down the "stick advertising everywhere and irritate our visitors" route that the likes of myhome did.

I personally would have zero concers that Daft want to turn boards.ie into a sales platform or "turn" it into anything specifically at all. In fact you've already outlined why attempting to "turn" boards into something will fail.

Anything I didn't quote means that I broadly agreed...

asdasd; cumulated profits, not one year profits.

Seamus; I'll reply in more detail later.
    DeVore wrote: »
    We have 5 official directors, Dan, Gerry, Me, Paul and Eamonn. I dunno where you get your facts Boston but they are as accurate as ever. :)

DeV.

Sorry I meant two fifths, not two thirds. Unless something very recent has happened Gerry is not a director, John (Cloud) is. Neither Gerry nor Jerry were directors as of the end of April this year (But are share holders). I don't know whether you mean my "facts are bang on or way off the mark, but I only know the state of play prior to the daft.ie take over. This link indicates I'm at least right about 2007.

Theres something like 506 shares sold of which the break down is 5x76, 20, and daft own 106.

Ps, whose Sandra and why did she have a stake in the company.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sorry when I wrote "Gerry" I meant "John" (as in Breslin).

The directors are John, Dan, Tom, Paul and Eamonn, but Dan Tom and John have the right to appoint 2 more directors... right now we are happy as things are.

The difference between two thirds and two fifths is considerable and shouldnt need explaining :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

Sandra is my sister, she assisted in the creation of the site from the first day and was one of the founders (Tr1n1ty) but took a back seat a few years after and is no longer a shareholder or director.

DeV.

If you have a loose and flexible definition then what points does it serve? Isn't the desire to nail down what boards is for the future? If we define boards.ie as "A medium through which people communicate thoughts and feelings", what does that do to safe guard anything? A forum grinding to a halt under server loads with google-adds every other posts and spambots on the mailing list is still "A medium through which people communicate thoughts and feelings". You make the point that a constitution should be an ever evolving thing, but just look at after hours ban on Christmas postings. A bunch of people said "I don't like X", and then we're in a sudden situation were prefectly harmless topics of discussion are banned. The reason is because people are collectively stupid. The idea behind the charter or constitution is to protect people when down the road their is no single person at the wheel. Fluffy definitions are worse then no definitions at all because it allows for a wide scope of interpretation while supporting the stance that the interpratetation is in keeping with what boards.ie is.
    I think this is the entire point. What boards has struggled with so far is change. A new issue or a new concept appears and it starts a ripple through the community which becomes high profile. Eventually it gets resolved and the site changes for the better, but not without a lot of stress and strain. The size of the site now causes these things to occur ever more rapidly and the sheer number of moderators in particular means that "scandal" is occurring on a more frequent basis. Proportionally, no more is probably occurring than ever did. But the site needs a framework by which it can grab change and grab issues as soon as they occur and figure out how to sort them. A 50-page thread in feedback which culminates in whinging and protesting and someone getting a punch on a night out will still come out with a resolution, but there has to be a better way. We need to keep the passion but direct it properly instead of it just resulting in a whole heap of fricition.

Theres too much of a focus on one all encapsulating solution. There are problems with the current conflict resolution mechanisms. The two main conflict sources are user - moderator friction and moderator - moderator friction. Both are nothing to do with change. I've already expressed my opinion on how the moderator forum operates; it obviously (to me anyway) isn't serving it's intended purpose. The user moderator friction isn't helped by the helpdesk style; equally the site isn't going to be helped if you end up jumping through a dozen checks and appeals everytime a user badly needs a bad. If moderators start being required to fill out forms B13 and A45 everytime they take action, the quality of moderation will drop and we'll only be left with the anally retentive.

With regards to change, the current "framework" seems to be to keep major changes a secret as long as possible and then steam role them through with consulation. Which frankly, is perfectly fine on a private site, but call a spade a spade and accept the friction it causes. The greatest leaps forward in history happen when strong leaders do what they feel is best regardless of whether or not they are thanked for it. The only way to avoid friction is to consult people before changes. Theres no magic to it, its that simple.
    There's never been any plan to remove users' right to appeal and in fact it's been recognised that (as I mention above) due to the higher volumes of people on the site a structured approach to handling appeals is required. There are more moderators, more posts, more people, and therefore there are more complaints.
    One bonus of having a very large site is that the "clique" gets diluted and there is less personal resistance to "reprimanding" moderators and administrators for their actions.

At this point in time I'd like to draw attention to the fact that Seamus's avatar is of a man in a white robe, Anyway; I don't think you're in a position to have a clear view of cliques since your standing on boards.ie is such that no individual or group of individuals would have much success undermining you. They are always going to exist and while its true that theres so many that no one dominates the site as a whole; Cliques certainly can dominate individual forum on boards.ie making them a hostile environment for new members. Cliques are neither good nor bad, however there are good and bad cliques.
    Sounds like a good idea tbh. Although I'm not mad on the idea that you have a "solicitor" to argue for you.

This is because of of something (I think) that I posted earlier on - the Irish (though it may not be uniquely Irish) love to try wriggling out of what they've done wrong. If they can point to a flaw in the rules, or a precedent or anything whatsoever which lets them get off the hook, they tend to. They don't look at the moral or the ethical they examine the legal. And boards need to *not* do that. Boards needs to disconnect itself from the idea of static rules and regulations and move towards something more dynamic.

The right and wrong of the ban (for example) is what's important. It doesn't matter that there's no "No personal abuse" rule in the Music forum (again, for example). If you act like an asshat, you get banned. We all know how to act like decent human beings, you fail to do that, you get banned.

Does it stay open for abuse? Absolutely. But then so does the current system. Moving away from legal precision is *fairer* because then appeals are handled on its own merit and not based on some ambiguous wording, loophole or precedent.

So from that POV a user representative being "appointed" by the user (if they wish) is a nice idea because all it really does is give the user the opportunity to ask someone else to take a fresh look at it and decide for themselves about the rightness or wrongness of the case.

I don't see why a user rep would have to argue in legalise? There is a system in place on boards.ie, some users know it, most don't. Being able to have an advocate within the system would help reduce moderator - user friction. Having someone removed from the emotions of a situation can't hurt. Take this example of a rightly banned user*. He argues that he contributes greatly to the forums he posts on. This agruement would have alot more weight if he could appoint a moderator as a user representative to support his claims that yes indeed he contributes. As it stands on its own, the arguement appears weak.
    I'm assuming you mean "two-fifths"? :) And no, daft don't actually "run" the site at all. Sitting on the board of directors is not the same thing as being in charge. If there's one thing that daft know, it's the importance of keeping your userbase happy and not treating them as exploitable objects. Despite its enormous size, daft have never gone down the "stick advertising everywhere and irritate our visitors" route that the likes of myhome did.

I personally would have zero concers that Daft want to turn boards.ie into a sales platform or "turn" it into anything specifically at all. In fact you've already outlined why attempting to "turn" boards into something will fail.

Anything I didn't quote means that I broadly agreed...

I'm not overly concerned about daft.ie. Eamon Fallen (And I think his brother? ) made a huge success out of something which most people scoffed at. Maybe I have a simplistic view of the word "directors" but I assumed these people are the ones coming up with the long term plans for the site and community. I know they arn't going to be banning deathgiver2000 but I did find it surprising that the names weren't the ones I thought they would be.

If you have a loose and flexible definition then what points does it serve? Isn't the desire to nail down what boards is for the future?
    It's the programmer purist in me. I hate to think that there's no general theory of everything. :)
    At this point in time I'd like to draw attention to the fact that Seamus's avatar is of a man in a white robe,
    Actually it's a Ghost with a piss stain, but nice attempt at character assassination Joe, especially given your claim afterwards which might as well call me "untouchable". Good to see that you haven't dropped your snide and arrogant streak.
    Cliques certainly can dominate individual forum on boards.ie making them a hostile environment for new members. Cliques are neither good nor bad, however there are good and bad cliques.
    By and large, the existence of cliques is bad because it creates resistance to change and inaccesibility for newer members. A clique also has difficulty enforcing its own rules on itself.
    I don't see why a user rep would have to argue in legalise? There is a system in place on boards.ie, some users know it, most don't. Being able to have an advocate within the system would help reduce moderator - user friction.
    That was a bit of an aside from me really, just playing out the inevitable boring tit-for-tat arguments that would take place, regardless of user reps. Remove the "legalese" of the ban system and you remove the tit-for-tats.

Actually it's a Ghost with a piss stain, but nice attempt at character assassination Joe, especially given your claim afterwards which might as well call me "untouchable". Good to see that you haven't dropped your snide and arrogant streak.

Yes, seamus; I'm implying that you are in fact a high bishop of the KKK. See here for further evidence. Maybe I should use smiles or something.

By and large, the existence of cliques is bad because it creates resistance to change and inaccesibility for newer members. A clique also has difficulty enforcing its own rules on itself.

You're talking about a cabal, not a clique. The minute a group of people come together in an effort to control or manipulate something, problems start. Groups of like minded people spring up all over boards. They like each other, chat predominately with each other, even socialise in real life with each other, but most of these groups have no interest in asserting control.

You're talking about a cabal, not a clique. The minute a group of people come together in an effort to control or manipulate something, problems start. Groups of like minded people spring up all over boards. They like each other, chat predominately with each other, even socialise in real life with each other, but most of these groups have no interest in asserting control.
    A clique by definition enforces exclusivity on its membership, but is not looking "assert control" actively.
    None of the issues with cliques that I mention necessarily have to be active. Cliques tend to passively resist change (as opposed to doing it in some secret and planned way) and are reluctant to reprimand their own members because of friendship.

My overall point being that increasing numbers will always destroy cliques as the relationship between members becomes more and more distant.

This is in reference to the perception from the users' POV that the mods will always stand up for eachother and the admins will always stand up for the mods. As the site grows, this has become less and less true. Issues on specific forums are irrelevant as the mods are always answerable to someone who doesn't share their space.

We seem to be taking Boards as a community that were real but not software bound here, so I want - before the lock - to suggest some software improvements.

1) On a New Thread show a an alert( embedded, or not) of unacceparble topics. For AH that would include Christmas threads at the moment, the user has to agree to the list to get to start a thread. On R&R it would list topics that cannot be ranted about ( religion). This is like an EULA.
    2) On a reply the user has to agree to terms ( see below) regarding not using ad hominens, trolling etc. and specific forum rules - you have to agree with these rules before posting.

Now since that will make quick replies a bit awful it would happen

1) The first time a user replies to a thread
    2) first time in a forum.
    3) For any user banned recently from anywhere, or with infraction points: all the time. This would make any infraction points a bit more of a pain as the alert would come up in all forums and for all posts until the infractions run out.

so that's a software solution. The banning of people for not reading forum specific rules is a bit harsh given that a lot of people read topics from the main page and answer immediately.

Of course this is a bit of work to do, and a bit of a pain to implement, and a bit of re-traingin for the user, and I can understand the implementation difficulties.

However the New Thread alert would be easy enough, and still-birth unwanted threads.

A clique by definition enforces exclusivity on its membership, but is not looking "assert control" actively.

As such boards models real life. People form groups.
    None of the issues with cliques that I mention necessarily have to be active. Cliques tend to passively resist change (as opposed to doing it in some secret and planned way) and are reluctant to reprimand their own members because of friendship.

Ok, but the premise of your argument is that change is good. Is this always the case? Change can be bad. When the powers that by turn off the cloud skin in a few months time due to a decision that we should have the same homogeneous boards experience, I guarantee both you and I will fall into the little "clique" of people arguing against it.
    My overall point being that increasing numbers will always destroy cliques as the relationship between members becomes more and more distant.

How is this a good thing? As the distance between users increases the community element decreases. You can't have a community without cliques. I don't particularly wish to be user #4901 and I can't believe that you wish to be user #4091. Yes cliques are unwilling to police members of their own clique, thats why you have an hierarchy of users moderating the site across a wide spectrum. That why you allow people a right to appeal. Thats why it was a good idea to allow people like me sit on high horses and wag our fingers at moderators who weren't capable of taken an objective look at themselves.
    This is in reference to the perception from the users' POV that the mods will always stand up for eachother and the admins will always stand up for the mods. As the site grows, this has become less and less true. Issues on specific forums are irrelevant as the mods are always answerable to someone who doesn't share their space.

Every moderator failing is a private one, every user failing is a public one. A moderator is never made an example of but a user will be. Theres no point in holding your hands up in the air and despairing at where the false perception comes from that "mods will always stand up for each other and the admins will always stand up for the mods" when it's a conscious decision to pick and choose what gets aired in public and what doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2) On a reply the user has to agree to terms ( see below) regarding not using ad hominens, trolling etc. and specific forum rules - you have to agree with these rules before posting.
    I remember suggesting that early in the year after seeing it on another board - it was in place there as a measure to stop people from haphazardly bumping incredibly old threads but I imagine, would be possible to change it to an acknowledgement of the forum's key rules before each post.

afaik though, it was relegated to the meadow of lost priorities.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055433353

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Every moderator failing is a private one, every user failing is a public one. A moderator is never made an example of but a user will be. Theres no point in holding your hands up in the air and despairing at where the false perception comes from that "mods will always stand up for each other and the admins will always stand up for the mods" when it's a conscious decision to pick and choose what gets aired in public and what doesn't.
    Good point. How one would go about redressing that balance is the thing though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Ok, but the premise of your argument is that change is good.
    Only in relation to cliques. :)
    How is this a good thing?
    In relation to the moderators, it's a great thing. As I've already pointed out. As you've pointed out, people will naturally group themselves. The general userbase will never become "distant", it wll continually fragment into more distinct communities.
    I never said it was a false perception, but it's certainly an inconsistent one.

Wibbs makes a good point - the balance needs to be redressed. User failings need to be made private. Not because I want to save the moderators' feelings but because dressing down a volunteer in public will only lead to one thing in 90% of cases and the public spectacle that users often have to go through to have their case objectively heard isn't fair.

Advertisement