Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grinds in History & Politics [1st year]

• 29-10-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been in hospital for the past couple of weeks and I've fallen behind with my coursework as well as having missed classes & tutorials.
    Does anybody know how I would go about finding someone to give me grinds or know somebody they would recommend.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

The SU has a grinds file where you can go to find someone who can give a grind in the specific subject you need help with. I don't know the link off the top of my head, sorry!

Just found the link:
    http://www.ucdsu.ie/wrapped/grindsfileucd.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jiminny

I just reactivated my boards account specifically to ask this exact question. I'm in precisely the same boat. I missed the deadline for not one but 2 of my history essays for HIS10050 and HIS10080. That's 30% gone from each of my final grades in those subjects straight away. I've just finished being sick for a while too. Got a lot of catchin up to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Jiminny - do you have a sick note for when you were ill? You will get an extension on your essays for the duration of the sick note. Contact the school and explain that you were ill and you should be ok - they were very nice to me when I spoke to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

jiminny wrote: »
    I missed the deadline for not one but 2 of my history essays for HIS10050 and HIS10080. That's 30% gone from each of my final grades in those subjects straight away.
    Even without an extension, you can still submit them within 2 weeks of the deadline. The penalty is 10 percent (of the essay) for each week that you are late. But after 2 weeks you get zero. So get them done for next Thursday/Friday at the latest and you'll salvage something of that 30 percent.

If you get the HIS10080 one submitted by 5pm tomorrow you should only be penalised 10 percent. It's only 500 words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

convert wrote: »
    The SU has a grinds file where you can go to find someone who can give a grind in the specific subject you need help with. I don't know the link off the top of my head, sorry!

Just found the link:
    http://www.ucdsu.ie/wrapped/grindsfileucd.html

They could do with updating that file. I know at least one guy on that who put his name on it in 2005 and left Ireland in 2006.

OP, If you haven't got sorted out yet, pm me and I may be able to sort you out in both subjects.

• Advertisement

Yes the file seems to be out of date. If I can't get anyone for grinds do you think maybe the politics school could recommend someone?

jiminny wrote: »
    I just reactivated my boards account specifically to ask this exact question. I'm in precisely the same boat. I missed the deadline for not one but 2 of my history essays for HIS10050 and HIS10080. That's 30% gone from each of my final grades in those subjects straight away. I've just finished being sick for a while too. Got a lot of catchin up to do

How are you getting on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Yes the file seems to be out of date. If I can't get anyone for grinds do you think maybe the politics school could recommend someone?

I know in the past that the school of history has helped people in the past, so perhaps the politics department could do the same for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How many weeks did you miss, littlefriend? Most of the slides and that are on blackboard. Just focus on what you need to know for now to get the assignments done. After that you can start focusing on certain topics for the exams.

You can get away with missing a couple of weeks, if that's all it was. With essays you are pretty much doing your own reading and research anyway.

Did you manage to get an extension for the assignments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

anyone need archaeology grinds :D?

• Advertisement

How many weeks did you miss, littlefriend? Most of the slides and that are on blackboard. Just focus on what you need to know for now to get the assignments done. After that you can start focusing on certain topics for the exams.

You can get away with missing a couple of weeks, if that's all it was. With essays you are pretty much doing your own reading and research anyway.

Did you manage to get an extension for the assignments?

Hiya,
    I've missed 3 weeks one of which was reading week so could be worse I guess. I had to have 3 operations though so I'm not feeling great yet. I've sorted out a few hours grinds so that should get me back on track. I know that really its my own reading etc, I just need a bit of direction and a kick to get back into it. Does that make sense?

I rang all my departments when I was in hospital and they told me to hand in a cert when I come back & they will arrange my extensions. I'm back in tomorrow. Feel like I haven't been there in months.

Advertisement