Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Cinema Showing Old Films

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Yes, I'd love to see some older movies on the big screen, like when Alien was re-released for its anniversary, though not here. Shame it's on a work night though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Brilliant idea! Fair play to them for rolling it out. I always loved the idea of watching the old classics in all their big screen glory. Recently up here in Galway they showed 'The thing' in the omniplex as part of its haloween line-up. ****ing fantastic! Its amazing how it makes such a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Ah class i was just saying that to the missus the other day... they should devote one screen to showing old movies. I'd love to see Mad Max or some good old ones on the big screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

'Old films' are in black and white!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

This is a great idea but I'm not so sure Pulp Fiction is the kind of film that should be shown. It doesn't gain a whole lot from being on the big screen.

The Matrix on the other hand!!!! The best cinema experience of my life. Obviously it wouldn't seem so great now but I the effects and soundtrack suit a cinema perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Nolanger wrote: »
    'Old films' are in black and white!

the 80's is old now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I have only six words for all of you.

"Back to the Future Trilogy Marathon"

P.S with a drinks break between each movie!
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    The Matrix on the other hand!!!! The best cinema experience of my life. Obviously it wouldn't seem so great now but I the effects and soundtrack suit a cinema perfectly.

That was fantastic. Made all the better by not knowing anything about the film before I saw it. Went mad into martial arts for a while after that too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

I wouldn't mind seeing Star Wars 4 to 6,

However...

LOTR.... nuf said,

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

Asmodean wrote: »
    Recently up here in Galway they showed 'The thing' in the omniplex as part of its haloween line-up.

I'd sell my granny to see The Thing on a cinema screen just once :eek:

John Carpenter FTW

Is this part of a season of older movies or a one-off? I know that Storm have converted at least one cinema to digital, to show 3D movies. I read in the sunday times this weekend that every time they show a movie on 35mm celluloid it costs 800 euro, and the 35mm prints aren't reusable. Digital, on the other hand, is on a reusable hard-drive costing about 30 quid. This opens up a raft of new possibilities, not in the least showing older or indie movies - hopefully they'll stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I have only six words for all of you.

"Back to the Future Trilogy Marathon"

P.S with a drinks break between each movie!

I would happily take a day off work for that.
    That was fantastic. Made all the better by not knowing anything about the film before I saw it. Went mad into martial arts for a while after that too!

Yes, it sure was. I thought the martial arts craze came after that.
    2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing Star Wars 4 to 6,

However...

LOTR.... nuf said,

Ah LOTR was great too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

I read in the s Digital, on the other hand, is on a reusable hard-drive costing about 30 quid. This opens up a raft of new possibilities, not in the least showing older or indie movies - hopefully they'll stick with it.

I despise 35mm, the reason being you have so many less problems with digital,

digital doesnt break i.e. get caught in the projector, become used i.e. wear and tear, it doesnt take 2-3 hours to assemble a digital film. These days the 35mm is automated (controlled by a computer) Dungarven is all digital.

(I work in the cinema) i think 35mm is severely redundant.

I can see this being the 2nd of a few old films to be shown, (nothing confirmed yet) but it seems the way its going since we showed Dirty Dancing a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Goodfellas on the big screen would be class..My favourite film ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Band of Brothers! 1-10, all in one day with a 5 minute bathroom/fanta break in between each one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Trotter wrote: »
    Band of Brothers! 1-10, all in one day with a 5 minute bathroom/fanta break in between each one.
    Band of brothers and Saving Private Ryan would be great to see on the big screen.

btw, did you know the follow up to Band Of brother, The Pacific is out in the first half of 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e99B80crU3E

I think Storm should have a few Halloween themed films to show around now.

Personally I'd love to see Ghostbusters 1 and 2 again on the big screen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyRqR56aCKc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭poms

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    Just seen this on the website,

http://waterford.stormcinemas.ie/bookingDetails.tpl?showcode=PULPFICTIO

Storm Cinemas Waterford is showing Pulp Fiction on Monday 2nd November, at 20:40 I think it's pretty cool they are bringing back some old films.

Its a pity Storm Naas wouldn't do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PortlairgePete

Hope this iniative is supported.Can watch dvd's aytime.Would be amazing to see some old flics on the big screen.Atmosphere alone would be worth it!Bit more publicity would help.I heard about it on this site but a mate of mine told me it got a mention on Wlrfm's breakfast show last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,633 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was banging here for Up both 2d and 3d. IMO the demand for old movies would not be great maybe half fill screen 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Anyone actually going to see this tomorrow? I got myself a ticket looking forward to it :)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement