Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newgrange / Day Trip to Meath!

Options
  • 29-10-2009 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hello all !
    I wasn't too sure where to post this so I thought i'd give it a shot in here and see if anyone could help me!!!

Basically I am interested in visiting Newgrange on the 21st of December for the winter solstice - (Am fairly certain it won't be happening any year soon but would like to get my name down all the same!...; better now than never!)

I have 'googled' alot about this, and can't seem to find out how to book anywhere or how it is even done - just wondering does anyone know any info about how I go about this, does anyone know of anyone who has done this? Did they think it was worth it?... - did it cost them an arm and a leg... is it very sensationalised, etc?

Any information would be great -

Aswell as this I am planning to visit the Newgrange monument this week as well, if i was heading towards Meath for a day trip is there anything else that you could recommend I visit? I know there is the battle of the boyne visitor area as well - are there any nice wee galleries or small things around? any markets on on certain days, car boot sales anything like that!! so any information regarding....well, anything Meath really would be awesome!

Thanks in advance for reading that, I know it got a bit long!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

netanyahu wrote: »
    Hello all !
    I wasn't too sure where to post this so I thought i'd give it a shot in here and see if anyone could help me!!!

Basically I am interested in visiting Newgrange on the 21st of December for the winter solstice - (Am fairly certain it won't be happening any year soon but would like to get my name down all the same!...; better now than never!)

I have 'googled' alot about this, and can't seem to find out how to book anywhere or how it is even done - just wondering does anyone know any info about how I go about this, does anyone know of anyone who has done this? Did they think it was worth it?... - did it cost them an arm and a leg... is it very sensationalised, etc?

Any information would be great -

Aswell as this I am planning to visit the Newgrange monument this week as well, if i was heading towards Meath for a day trip is there anything else that you could recommend I visit? I know there is the battle of the boyne visitor area as well - are there any nice wee galleries or small things around? any markets on on certain days, car boot sales anything like that!! so any information regarding....well, anything Meath really would be awesome!

Thanks in advance for reading that, I know it got a bit long!

Well if you are going to visit soon it would be the ideal time to a inquire about tickets for the raffle.
    I have visited it many times, and I remember once when I was young being there for the solstice, and I can say it is well worth it, but I was about 6/7 at the time.

You should also do the Knowth/Dowth bit of Newgrange, after that I reccommend visiting Trim Castle and doing that tour. There is also the Hill of Tara and a couple of other smaller places that are worth it if you are travelling from far away and want to make a day of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

OP you mustn't have done much googling because the information about the Winter Solstice is on the Newgrange website!! :)http://www.newgrange.com/
    Each year the winter solstice event attracts much attention at Newgrange. Many gather at the ancient tomb to wait for dawn, as people did 5,000 years ago. So great is the demand to be one of the few inside the chamber during the solstice that there is a free annual lottery (application forms are available at the Visitor Centre). Unfortunately, as with many Irish events that depend upon sunshine, if the skies are overcast, there is not much to be seen. Yet all agree that it is an extraordinary feeling to wait in the darkness, as people did so long ago, for the longest night of the year to end.

Full achieve videos of [URL="javascript:void(0)"]Solstice 2007[/URL] and [URL="javascript:void(0)"]Solstice 2008[/URL] are available online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

that's mad how did I not see that? Thanks for the help! Trim castle sounds great, looking forward to this :)

Advertisement