Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marlon King gets 18 months in jail and sacked by wigan [read mod note on 1st post]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

good enough for him. disgraceful behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

He's hardly a big loss.

Shameful what he did. Maybe he'll get a dose of his own medicine now!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

fully deserved - scumbag behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

What a chancer.
    The 29-year-old claimed he was a victim of "mistaken identity".

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Wasnt a bad player.Did well at Hull last year but went back to wigan then(i think) and things went downhill from there.Shameful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Glad to see the same rule of law applied to those who are rich/famous. Justice was served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Shocking behaviour altogethe. Got everything he deserved and now he will probably get buggered in prison, serves him right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Absolutely disgusting behaviour, but how is a single punch considered sexual assault?

In any event I don't really care if it got him an extra stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Rics

Couldn't even score in a club

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusting behaviour, but how is a single punch considered sexual assault?

In any event I don't really care if it got him an extra stretch.
    He groped her and then decked her.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement

kenon wrote: »
    He groped her and then decked her.

Ah right, I read it here where there's no mention of groping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Good enough for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Another overpaid undertalented nobody who thinks he can go around doing what he wants hope this is a wake up call for him and a few more in his profession,classy guy that he is he was out celebrating his wifes pregnancy and what better way than trying to grope somebody and then assault her good to see Wigan are sacking him as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

good to hear he has also been sacked, hopefully it will act as a precident for any future cases in which footballers are found guilty of crimes such as this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hope he enjoys the showers. As mentioned before he is no loss to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Be honest.

Who here has not wanted to deck some snotty bitch in a nightclub at one time or another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Be honest.

Who here has not wanted to deck some snotty bitch in a nightclub at one time or another?

not funny tbh.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He was out celebrating his wifes pregnancy...and he was feeling up all the women?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour. Getting just what he deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Marlon King - ''do you know who I am '' ?

Prison officer - '' yes , you're Prisoner Number 661335274 and there's your cell ''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Be honest.

Just you it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Good for him. It will show footballers that there name will not save them from prision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

manutd wrote: »
    Good for him. It will show footballers that there name will not save them from prision.
    I hate when celbritys use their names as if they are something important to the rest of us

It's the part of the whole cleb life I detest more than anything and usually
    the first thing they do when they fall foul of the law .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nice to see that money cant bail you out of this one. Gets whats he deserves and im sure he wont be so tough behind bars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Did he punch a guy or a girl in the nose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Did he punch a guy or a girl in the nose?

A 20 year old girl who was nothing more than 6-7 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Rics wrote: »
    Couldn't even score in a club

You got in ahead of me...I was going to use that one:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He started his career at Barnet when I was a regular at Underhill. He came across as a bit of a prat even then. He stuck out like a sore thumb at what was a really friendly club. Real chip on his shoulder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I wonder if his wife is gonna dump him!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

serves him right, ive no time for anyone who raises their hand to a woman!!!

im sure he's looking forward to shower time in the nick{squel like a pig boy}:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

major bill wrote: »
    serves him right, ive no time for anyone who raises their hand to a woman!!!

Would you view it as more acceptable if it was a man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

major bill wrote: »
    a man can defend himself better than most women!!! at the end of the day he didnt hit a man he hit a woman so fcuk him, i hope someone makes him his b1tch in prison!!!

Hitting a woman is no worse than hitting a man, thats just the PC brigade. If he'd sexually and physically assaulted a young man this would be just as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

There are two separate issues here. He was found guilty in court and thus deserves his sentence. The club on the other hand are just acting in their own financial interests by sacking a player who is less than two years into a 3.5 year contract. I agree with it completely but there's no moral imperative to the decision.

The club on the other hand are just acting in their own financial interests by sacking a player who is less than 18 months into a 3.5 year contract. I agree with it completely but there's no moral imperative to the decision.

They are indeed. Dave Whelan said they tried to offload him last year and couldn't. Marlon King just made it very easy for them now by breaking the terms and conditions of his contract.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Folks, please bear in mind the charter rules on abuse when you are replying. I'm not too fond of what this guy has done, but there are rules which you are all supposed to abide by, regardless of his actions
    ABUSE: Prejudice will not be tolerated, in any form. Outbursts of personal abuse be it directed at other board members or at non-boards persons, famous or otherwise, is strictly prohibited. We reserve the right to edit/move/delete such posts as we see fit and issue bans and/or infractions to the poster of such.

Please don't me take action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I doubt he'll serve the full 18months.
    And surely some club will take him on once he returns? He's going to be oh so sorry of course...
    Think I'll throw a few quid on him going to Oldham.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Miap

Good to see he has been punished its important footballers are not percieved to have a free pass when it comes to the law!!! No excuse for hitting a girl and shattering her nose!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

DSB wrote: »
    Hitting a woman is no worse than hitting a man, thats just the PC brigade. If he'd sexually and physically assaulted a young man this would be just as bad.

rather then man v woman i see it as hitting someone who is massively underpowered in comparison and completely unable to defend themselves. If he'd hit the male equivilent of a very slight 20 year old girl id see it as around as bad. though not quite, the lady factor definately adds a notch simply because i see male V female aggression as more damaging psyhologically to the victim then male V male aggression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

whiskeyman wrote: »
    He's going to be oh so sorry of course...

ha ha, just found this on the bbc site
    In 2002 King, who lives in Hertfordshire, served five months of a two-year prison sentence for handling a stolen car before being released on appeal.
    A year later, he was convicted for common assault on two women he chased through London with a belt wrapped round his fist. And in 2006 he was convicted of threatening behaviour after slapping another woman and then spitting at her when police arrived.

a real lesson learner is auld Marlon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Wasn't there talk of him playing for Ireland years ago??

• Advertisement

Nah that was another fella called Martin King. He was showered with praise for his performances as a youngster and everyone was saying there was a bright outlook for his career. He even had a few spells with some premiership youth clubs, who had to play on pitches that were patchy in places. But alas, the high pressure got to him in the end and he bolted from the football scene into some other career...

Can't remember what became of him though...

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Nah that was another fella called Martin King. He was showered with praise for his performances as a youngster and everyone was saying there was a bright outlook for his career. He even had a few spells with some premiership youth clubs, who had to play on pitches that were patchy in places. But alas, the high pressure got to him in the end and he bolted from the football scene into some other career...

Can't remember what became of him though...

He had a thunderous left foot if its the same guy I'm thinkin' about... ;)

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

Just saw on Wiki that Marlo (quite appropriate nickname that, if anyone watches the Wire) was signed for a fee believed to have been in the region of 3m-4m quid.

He subsequently violated his contract quite early in its timeframe.

So my question is this - should/could he face a similar fine a la Mr. Mutu?

Could we actually petition FIFA to give him Mutu's fine aswell actually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Just watching Dave Whelan on Sky Sports News,

Apparantly King has been inside before, this is his 2nd or 3rd time,

Whelan did not know this :eek: and he let Bruce spend £3 million on him even though he had reservations.

The first he heard of the recent event was when Sky rang him yesterday for his opinion on KIng getting 18 months and that was the first he had heard, i find that unbelievable that they didn't know about this.

King's own agent didn't know that he had 3 convictions for 14 different offenses but still felt Wigan were premature to sack him.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just watching Dave Whelan on Sky Sports News,

Apparantly King has been inside before, this is his 2nd or 3rd time,

Whelan did not know this :eek:

I don't see how he couldn't have known.

I thought every man and his dog knew that King was banged up while he was at Gillingham for doing over some cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

He needs to go to Steven Gerrards school of getting outa trouble :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Latchy wrote: »
    Marlon King - ''do you know who I am '' ?

Prison officer - '' yes , you're Prisoner Number 661335274 and there's your cell ''

typifies everything i detest about the professional game. it is good that he has been made an example. it is just a shame that he is to be a father to be honest, great role model for his child.

lucky for whoever Wigan are playing on Saturday though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The woman he attacked has made a plea that King shouldn't be allowed play professional football again. "little boys all over the country look up to him, and he shouldn't be in the public eye" "I'm not saying he can't work again, but as a professional footballer - no I believe he shouldn't"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

In all fairness i'd say the numbers of kids looking up to Marlon King are minimal,

When he serves his time he should play football again and professionally, it's no different to any other walk of life, when you serve your time you are free to do what you want.

It wasn't any different for Lee Hughes and it shouldn't be any different for Marlon King.

• Advertisement
Advertisement