Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I hate you guys!

• 29-10-2009 7:15pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Actually, no I don't, I think you're awesome. So much so, I want in :p

I got the LanParty.ie copy of SFIV since ye were using my xbox (the Halo one) and telly (I'm really sorry about it being so flickery - I've resolved that with a solid thump to the back of it - old skool TV repair) at the SFIV competition last Saturday and I was looking forward to getting stuck in. However, I found it bloody impossible to use the controller to play.

I was a decent SFII arcade player back in the day, even managed to take a round of someone (Jim I think) in a "messing about" game on Saturday whilst Doom went to the bar before continuing on with all the degenerate gambling (scandalous! :eek:). Doom was kind enough to let me use the Doom-Stick (and I have absolutely no idea what brand or model of thing he has), but I found it too loose for my likings - I prefer more resistance in the stick and buttons, so I needs advice on what sort of controller I might want to buy and where to get it from etc. I'm not opposed to spending a few sheckles, but don't want to go completely mad :D

All thoughts and advice are much appreciated folks!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'll give you some proper advice when i'm sober. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Come to a meet (possibly not one this Saturday) and test out all the different types of sticks and pads that people will be using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I would say Seimetsu parts would be best if you want them to offer a bit more resistance. As always one of the Mad Catz sticks would be my advise based on how much you spend (The Doom-Stick is a Mad Catz TE).
    The Mad Catz SE is smaller and comes with Mad Catz own parts which aren't as sensitive as the ones in the TE. Even the basic SE stick could suit you more.

I'm a little all over the place but hopefully it will help somewhat. As chopper said the best bet is to try and make it to one of the meets as there is all sorts of different sticks with different mods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kharn wrote: »
    the Doom-Stick

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Doom also has a Seimitsu-modded SE so hopefully that wasn't the one Kharn tried. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Madcatz Fightstick with a Seimitsu LS-56-01 (and maybe some new buttons) would run you less than €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Kharn wrote: »
    I found it too loose for my likings - I prefer more resistance in the stick and buttons,

Then you'll love mine, it's really tight! However, if you want things tighter, generally you'll have to modify it (i put tighter springs in my stick).

The best sticks to buy would be madcatz but by default they would be loose like the Doom-stick. Listen to choppers post above!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

It depends on what parts are in the Doom-Stick - I don't know which ones are in it but if it has Sanwa parts (don't worry, he'll hopefully explain everything once he's sober) you'll want to take a look at this stick and if it has Seimitsu parts then you'll want to give this one (There are other, similar sticks for the 360 on that site - the one I linked to is the cheapest. If you're feeling flush you can put down an extra $100 and get one with an optical joystick) a go. (since in terms of stiffness, Happ > Seimitsu > Sanwa).

Of course, if you have the know-how you can buy the parts individually from a site like this and put the stick together yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Big problem there Yreval -- MAS Systems pretty much stopped producing sticks in big volume a while ago; and the few they have left are astronomical in price.
    E.g. this Happ Optical is $285, plus shipping.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The Doomstick is my unmodified TE which means the blood god there was using Sanwa parts.

I do indeed also have a SE which has been modded with Semitsu parts (thanks once again to the kikster) but that is not the Doomstick. (It's a lanparty thing)

doomstick.jpg

Kharns SF history would be very similar to my and joconnells so I would heartily recommend him to get a madcatz SE, and pre-empt his heavy playing style breaking the buttons by Semitising it. It's what we both did and for me having tried alot of options it's a good mix between responsiveness and old school arcade feel.

semitstick.jpg

EDIT: I need to sort some custom art for the SE there, the acid green doesn't really go. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement