Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OWP on concrete yard base

• 29-10-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Folks

I'm considering converting a concrete yard beside a slatted shed into an outdoor wintering pad. The cows will feed on the slats as normal but have the pad for the rest of the time. The concrete yard is set up to drain into the slatted tank.

My question is - what should I use on the concrete, and how much of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

will your tanks not just be filling with rainwater runoff from the yard if its not roofed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭fastrac

Slatted tank will fill up Qiuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

fastrac wrote: »
    Slatted tank will fill up Qiuck
    not necessarily, i've to draw in water to my slatted tank to fill it before i agitate it every year.
    it never dawned on me to put an outwintering pad on an old silage pit.
    seems like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morning delight

I've heard that there isn't much run off, the bedding soaks and retains alot of the water.

But what is the best bedding to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

with my work ive seen alot of people trying to make an out wintering pad from an old concrete yard or covered silage pit by filling it with wood chip.

The key to a sucessfull out wintering pad is for the liquid to get away and that is not easy on a concrete base, even if there is a slope on it. Ive seen covered silage pits filled with wood chip turn to slop very quickly for this reason so if you have an uncovered yard then dont expect wood chip to last long before it needs replacing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

put slats up on blocks and put a scraper under the slats to push the slurry to your tank,its in the farmers journal this week a guy in scotland doing it,had same idea for inside a shed as i already have a scraper .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I agree with hammer. Woodchip needs very good drainage for it to work and stock also need to be taken off the pad for a few hours during the day to allow it to dry out. I have used woodchip in a covered silo and it was a total disaster as it couldn't dry out.

leg wax wrote: »
    put slats up on blocks and put a scraper under the slats to push the slurry to your tank,its in the farmers journal this week a guy in scotland doing it,had same idea for inside a shed as i already have a scraper .
    But what happens when the scraper stops or gets stuck under the slats as they do? You would have to remove the stock and start lifting slats to get it moving again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Sam Kade wrote: »
    But what happens when the scraper stops or gets stuck under the slats as they do? You would have to remove the stock and start lifting slats to get it moving again.
    my 3rd winter with scraper no trouble yet, and if it did break down put stok on feed passage lift slat and fix no science or big job,you could also leave the ram and scraper blade start its run from outside and not under the slats.:cool:

leg wax wrote: »
    my 3rd winter with scraper no trouble yet, and if it did break down put stok on feed passage lift slat and fix no science or big job,you could also leave the ram and scraper blade start its run from outside and not under the slats.:cool:
    I have automatic scrapers since 1998, when they stop moving or get stuck it takes the length of the shed to get them moving properly again. So if that happened with scrapers under slats you would have to remove more than one slat to solve the problem also if they stopped during the night and there was a big build up of slurry in front of them again you would have to lift a lot of slats to clear the passage and get them moving again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Do you ever read the weekly diary in the Tuesday Farming Independent? He said in this weeks edition that they are putting their pads out of comission this winter, because they take a lot of work to keep them effective and are costly in terms of renewing the wood chips and labor.

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

probaly better to spend your money on some slat mats.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morning delight

mossfort wrote: »
    probaly better to spend your money on some slat mats.

Thanks for all the replies. In the end i've gone for mats on the slats. Cows only in days and already some of them are getting tender on the legs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

have you done a deal yet on slat mats? pm me with your details and ill do you a deal on some slat mats.

Advertisement