Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreasonable ban from AH by Terry

Options
  • 29-10-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

Is this really racial stereotyping serious enough to warrant a ban?

As a joke response to why black people don't integrate in America:

Because they dont have the nba and kfc back in africa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's not exactly the smartest response to any question I can think of to be honest. I'm not sure how it's supposed to be funny.

Leaving that aside, can you post a link? Just posting what you have done gives us almost nothing to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Apologies I thought it would be straight forward to search for my last post in AH.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055724573&page=5

My post is number 70.

The post did not warrant removal.

The mod did not quote and respond to the post.

It would appear the topic is important to the moderator on a personal level and the post was moderated in a heavy handed way compared to normal AH moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Link: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62759729

My post taken out of context in that one.
    Here's the original: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62759554

It was a lame attempt to make a racist joke out of a serious discussion (once again, we do sometimes have them in AH) and was not welcome in the context of the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

While it's comparatively straightforward for me to find your last post in AH, as you're making the appeal it saves me time if you fix it so I don't have to. It also makes it clear to which post you're referring, which makes it easier on everyone, especially yourself:)

I'll be blunt here. Having looked at that and the comment before it and the comment before that, it was a stupid comment. It didn't add anything to the universe and it wasn't even vaguely funny. It's the kind of comment that leads to trouble and didn't come with any redeeming features to save itself. And I know you're a fan of the quick quip, judging by your posts, but your standard is usually a bit higher than that.

I realise that you reckon the penalty was quite heavy-handed but on boards, idiotic racism isn't acceptable. And that was both racist and idiotic.

I could sugar-coat it but I'm assuming you'd rather it told like it is. I don't think you're in the habit of doing idiotic things but sometimes smart people do dumb things and well, that was one of those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

In my opinion intimating by way of a joke that African Americans are fond of basketball and fried chicken is harmless, if I were to get annoyed when any of my African American colleagues asked me "Hey where are your lucky charms?" I would be considered precious.

Is it OK to jokingly call somebody from the country a spud muncher or a person from Cavan tight?

It would appear that think we should treat somebody from another race differently based on what our ancestors may or not have done to their ancestors, because you should look up the definition of racism and qualify calling me a racist based on that.

I presume I will be unbaned at 22:00 approx in any event, thank you for your time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement