Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break times work

Options
  • 29-10-2009 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey im wondering what is the amount of break time allowed to an employee in a day. I know it varies, but basically i work a 8 hour day and we get one half hour lunch with two fifteen minute breaks, but we have now been told that our breaks will be reduced to 10 mins each insted of the 15. Is this right to do in a 8 hour day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/hours-of-work/rest-periods-and-breaks
    The general rule on breaks is that you are entitled to a break of 15 minutes after a 4 ½ hour work period. After a 6-hour work period you are entitled to a break of 30 minutes, which can include the first 15-minute break. There is no entitlement to be paid during these breaks and they are not considered part of working time.

Shop employees who work more than 6 hours and whose hours of work include 11.30am-2.30pm are entitled to a one hour consecutive break which must occur during those hours. Employees who work in the Retail Grocery trade (Nationwide) and the Retail Footwear and Drapery Trade (Dublin only) are entitled to a 15-minute paid break (exclusive of the main meal break) if working more than 4 ½ hours.

So to answer your question, they can't reduce the break below 15 minutes.
    Just print out the page above and leave it in a prominent position in the common area.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

jimoc wrote: »
    So to answer your question, they can't reduce the break below 15 minutes.
    Just print out the page above and leave it in a prominent position in the common area.

I read it as all that you are entitled to is the 1/2 hour lunch break so they can do away with the two other breaks altogether, unless you are a shop employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I confused myself when I re-read that :)

The way I would read it is :

1. If you work for 4.5 hours you get one 15 minute break
    2. If you work 6 hours you get one 1/2 hour break
    3. If you work in a shop you get one 1 hour break.
    4. If you work in grocery you get one 1 hour break and one 15 minute break after 4.5 hours.

But in all cases the breaks are a minimum of 15 minutes so no matter how many you are entitled to, they cannot reduce them to 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What would it mean if the contract didnt state anything at all about break times at all?

Advertisement