Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modded/Custom Sticks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Oh, for anyone modding and wanting to tidy the insides, I've been traipsing €-stores and found that packs of 100 small cable ties go for €1. Also found that cable management plastic going for €2. That's 1/5th the price of Maplins

where is this store?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For cableties, I think it's the €uro store inside the Ilac centre (near Argos).
    For cable management plastic, the 3-2-1-€ with the green sign on Moore St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Fair play Kiikster

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Thinking of doing a very ambitious mod of my HRAP to use an MC Cthulhu board, the PCB from my Madcatz 360 controller and an RJ45 jack to make my stick almost universally compatible.

I know Farz's stick is a dual modded HRAP2 which has the same (lack of space) insides as mine, so how easy is it to gut the inside of that stick without it falling apart?

Tip: look into maybe using DIN8 connectors instead of RJ45, as RJ45 plugs are a pain to do if you're not used to them.

• Advertisement

Tip: look into maybe using DIN8 connectors instead of RJ45, as RJ45 plugs are a pain to do if you're not used to them.

If after this many years of IT jobs and network training courses I don't know how to make an RJ45 connector, I might as well give up!

Why chop? When you stick works on most consoles at the minute?

Also a network cable in an arcade stick? wtf I'm confused lol

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭LIFETRAP

You use the RJ45 to make cables for each console. So for Wii/Gamecube, you get a GC pad, cut the wire and you can thread the wires into the RJ45 connection to have a GC end and RJ45 end. You have to wire the port on your stick up to the Cthulhu though. I have it done on 2 of my sticks.

USB ones are a pain though, every time I make an RJ45 to USB cable they break really quickly. Just going to put in USB ports too.

EDIT: Probably explains it better.

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=178604

Sisko wrote: »
    Why chop? When you stick works on most consoles at the minute?

It's just easier to not have to use converters and it means if we ever start playing TMNT Tournament Fighters for whatever reason, I can play it using the stick I have with a quick and easy to do cable mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭LIFETRAP

Trying to settle on art/button colours for three sticks before sending out a big order for plexis and buttons is hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Hey guys. I wana get a new stick for my TE cos im havin bad trouble tryin to get used to. It seems too free...if anyone actually gets what i meant by that. DarkOnion was tryin to explain the diff between 4 an 8 (gate)? sticks and he recons the later might suit me better. Im looking for something where i can feel alot more on the stick. Thanks for any suggestions etc.

The Sanwa JLF inside is one of the loosest sticks on the market -- but once you get used to it, it's actually really precise.
    However, you can add a second spring to make it stiffer for preference - generally people use a Seimitsu LS-32 spring.
    Or you can just disassemble it and gently stretch the spring a bit, then put it back together.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Just to clarify, the reason I recommended the 8 gate to Rob is because he was saying he was having issues moving between Downback and Back to block jump-ins, overheads etc.

The Sanwa JLF inside is one of the loosest sticks on the market -- but once you get used to it, it's actually really precise.
    However, you can add a second spring to make it stiffer for preference - generally people use a Seimitsu LS-32 spring.
    Or you can just disassemble it and gently stretch the spring a bit, then put it back together.

I think the precision is actually the thing thats wrong haha. As Onion pointed out above its more got to do with my dexterity than anything, i was looking for something to aid me in the way of 'slotting into' directions rather than the stick being free. I use charge characters so i dont think i need that much freedom. Do i?...:pac:

Nah, just do what I say to everybody: practice your execution for 1-2hrs a day until you can do moves like nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Hey guys. I wana get a new stick for my TE cos im havin bad trouble tryin to get used to. It seems too free...if anyone actually gets what i meant by that. DarkOnion was tryin to explain the diff between 4 an 8 (gate)? sticks and he recons the later might suit me better. Im looking for something where i can feel alot more on the stick. Thanks for any suggestions etc.

Hey man.
    I think u tried out my stick the time I came Down for the tournament in frontier x and u said u liked the feel of it. It was a round 2 te with an octo gate.

Personally I much prefer it but I kind of regret not sticking with the square gate becos of the fact that I can't use anyone elses stick at tournaments or casuals. Make no mistake about it that once u go down the octo gate route it's almost impossible to pick up a square gate stick and play as well.

I'd recomend sticking with the square gate but if u just can't get used to the it, go for the octo. I instantly found it easier with shoto's when I did.

BanjoB wrote: »
    Hey man.
    I think u tried out my stick the time I came Down for the tournament in frontier x and u said u liked the feel of it. It was a round 2 te with an octo gate.

Personally I much prefer it but I kind of regret not sticking with the square gate becos of the fact that I can't use anyone elses stick at tournaments or casuals. Make no mistake about it that once u go down the octo gate route it's almost impossible to pick up a square gate stick and play as well.

I'd recomend sticking with the square gate but if u just can't get used to the it, go for the octo. I instantly found it easier with shoto's when I did.

Gamertag Araforn(?) ya? I was gona actually ask you about that but forgot your name on boards. Thanks what you said there is kinda what i needed to know. Prob stick with the square gate so for a bit and see if i get any better. Mind tellin me where you got your octo gate or does it matter what brand etc you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

so many stick threads floating around I didnt know which to link this to, but anyone got 200 blips to drop on this, only 2 left

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dd-49-en-70-3ryd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Sagat06 wrote: »
    so many stick threads floating around I didnt know which to link this to, but anyone got 200 blips to drop on this, only 2 left

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dd-49-en-70-3ryd.html

I'm thinking of getting a new stick soon, something different. I hear the new hori's don't have much weight to them though. Little bit lighter than you'd expect. Now the hori VLX on the other hand......
    Prob stick with the square gate so for a bit and see if i get any better. Mind tellin me where you got your octo gate or does it matter what brand etc you buy?

Generally, square gates are better for charge characters because the diagonals are much more prominant (perfect for down-back charging!). In Araforn's case he likes do to chuns down-kicks in mid-air so its handy to have a prominant down-groove (something that an octo gives).

Maybe its the stick properties that you need to adjust? Try a stiffer stick, or try a stick with shorter engage or shorter throw? Good explanation here

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

does anyone have a stick for sale, I wana change from pad... I have a stick but its a heap of **** hah

• Advertisement

Which stick?

he has the cheapy 360 hori from what I remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

A word to the wise lads, when connecting a ribbon cable to the joystick connector, DON'T cover the connectors with copious amounts of superglue.

It leads the stick not working & asking your Mrs at 11.30 at night for nail-varnish remover and loads of strange looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Kiki..

Was thinking a Madcats with Sawna's :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Gamertag Araforn(?) ya? I was gona actually ask you about that but forgot your name on boards. Thanks what you said there is kinda what i needed to know. Prob stick with the square gate so for a bit and see if i get any better. Mind tellin me where you got your octo gate or does it matter what brand etc you buy?

hey mate,
    I changed over from square to octo and never looked back. Found it highly frustrating to play on a square gate (so much so that I actually gave up on using the stick until I got the octo gate).

My brother got it for me but I'll ask where he got it from. It was only 7 euro.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    hey mate,
    I changed over from square to octo and never looked back. Found it highly frustrating to play on a square gate (so much so that I actually gave up on using the stick until I got the octo gate).

My brother got it for me but I'll ask where he got it from. It was only 7 euro.

Ya man if you could find that out for me id appreciate it. Thought it'd be alot more than 7e too :pac: What did you find frustrating on the square gate?
    animaX wrote: »
    Maybe its the stick properties that you need to adjust? Try a stiffer stick, or try a stick with shorter engage or shorter throw? Good explanation here

This is like joysticks for dummies. Much needed thanks :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ya man if you could find that out for me id appreciate it. Thought it'd be alot more than 7e too :pac: What did you find frustrating on the square gate?

Will do.

Apart from Guile/DeeJay, I've always been a shoto player. QCF/QCB movements were just awkward for me on the square. Its nice to roll the stick along the octogate to perform the movements. Also, with the charge characters, its nice to have a groove for the B/F when not charging B/D. Being new to stick and having to play with it on my lap, I found myself missing simple sonic booms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/sanwa-gt-y.htm sell them.

I bought one a while back, tried it for a bit but i had problems playing charge chars so i went back to a square gate.
    After a few hours of doing qcf's in the training room i had no problem using command characters,
    The trick is not to ride the gate, once you do that and some practice you won't look back.

Well, I know what I'm looking forward to in a few months' time:
    case1.jpg
    casebut1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

**** octo users

Why make it harder for yourself? :pac:

I know nearly all sticks use square and arcades too, but I was chatting to Sisko at last meet at XGC about octo vs square and he said he is fine with square too, so I dunno, maybe some opinions

I guess at the end of the day its preference

Advertisement