Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modded/Custom Sticks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Ok, so my Datel stick arrived this morning :D

I'm not gonna open it until i know for sure that I can find another stick case to put its pcb into. While searching for cases I came across Voltech arcade sticks. Isn't that the most beautiful custom case you've ever seen!! Want one so much (but would work out pretty expensive). Notice also that he has the Datel pcb in his prototype and it is such a neat wiring job.

In my spare time i also did a little mod to my SE to add weight to it. After seeing a guy on SRK do it, I placed rolls of coins inside the case. It really does add a decent amount of weight to the SE, feels about the same as a TE now, maybe more.

pennies.jpg?t=1271079576

(That's not mine!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Those voltech sticks are nice, like a virtua stick but with a nice amount of wrist room. Are the prices on there for just the case or are the buttons and pcb included in that price?

Bush80 wrote: »
    Those voltech sticks are nice, like a virtua stick but with a nice amount of wrist room. Are the prices on there for just the case or are the buttons and pcb included in that price?

I think its just the case :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Voltech = PREMIUM grade.

Then again, I'm just a lucky sniper sod. I looked at the price of a VSHG on eBay.
    It's... ridiculous.

Especially for a stick with a not-that-great PCB.
    TALKING OF.
    I need to find me some PS1 pads...

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Does your VSHG have the multiple inputs problem?

.....if it does i'll take it off your hands ;-)

• Advertisement

Voltech = PREMIUM grade.

Then again, I'm just a lucky sniper sod. I looked at the price of a VSHG on eBay.
    It's... ridiculous.

TALKING OF.
    I need to find me some PS1 pads...

I paid 120 quid for the one I sold you. I ended up getting back half of that from the seller though cos he lied about the condition of it.

Ah don't get me wrong, it's still a lovely stick, and there seems to be no probs in SFIV.
    It's just I THINK I noticed the input thing in GGPO playing 3S.

Anyway, I have to get it dual- or PS1-modded somehow.

Ah don't get me wrong, it's still a lovely stick, and there seems to be no probs in SFIV.
    It's just I THINK I noticed the input thing in GGPO playing 3S.

Anyway, I have to get it dual- or PS1-modded somehow.

I was planning on putting one of those datel pcbs into it

I was planning on putting one of those datel pcbs into it

Why didn't you? You sold the pcb on neo-empire did you?

animaX wrote: »
    Why didn't you? You sold the pcb on neo-empire did you?

Ye, I wasnt happy with the condition of the stick. The seller told me it was brand new so I was fairly disappointed when it came and it wasnt. I didnt really like playing on the stick either though, not enough wrist room after getting used to the TE.
    I still think its the nicest looking stick ever though. I have to say im interested in those voltech ones now.

• Advertisement

I have to say im interested in those voltech ones now.

Me too! The Voltech HG-elite does have a lot more wrist-room than the VSHG alright. I'd say the exotic wood panels would be sweet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I'd just like to say Thanks to Terry for all his helpful info and tips and giving me some spare wire he had - and thanks to Jim for selling his broken SE to me. icon14.gif

Because of them I now have an octo-sanwa SE stick that works on PS3 PS2 PS1 360 and PC.

And all with out destroying my PS3 stick which now has a stock stick but sanwa buttons.

Next to make new artwork and paint the new stick. :cool:

Tried dual-modding my VSHG with MC Cthulhu, Imp + Fightpad.

Either one of the 3 PCBs is fvcked, or OSX just doesn't like any of them.

;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

I have an odd question that i dont particularly expect an answer for: :p

Were the old SF2 cabs in arcades using 8way gates or 4way gates on the sticks?
    I havent played a fighting game properly since eh Alpha something or other and picked up a TE fightstick as i just cant face a pad.

I ordered a plexi and print off that fella Pat on shoryuken forum so decided to order an 8-way gate as well as buttons. Am i pissing against the wind with the 8gate?
    It just feels really random when trying to execute qcf/qcb its fine for shoryuken types etc. It just feels so different from what i remember. Ill probably get used to it by the time my stuff arrives from Akihabara shop anyway.
    Im enjoying Juri at the moment and shes all quarter circles so getting frustrated at times.

Not an odd question at all and why wouldn't you expect an answer? That's what this forum is for :D

Never played on a cab but I would assume it was a 4 way gate (as in a square gate).

I assume you mean your execution issues are with the square gate on the TE? If so, yes you may like the octo gate you ordered, will take about a day to adjust to it but it can be reassuring knowing your hitting those sweet spots.

Its all down to personal preference and simple practice in the end. I moved from pad to stick just before the start of the year and it's been a struggle to catch up to what I could do on a pad.

I used a square gate for most of that period, recently got an octo. Found it odd the 1st day. Loved it by the second. Going back to using square gates isnt as much as an issue as I thought and I find I'm now better at general stick motions and fast inputs on both gates, thanks to my time on an octo.

This is just me, some people hate octo gates. Some hate square. I've found the octo has helped me with both. I'll stick with my octo but its not the end of the world using a square.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

It's hip to be square :pac:

**** octo

Sisko wrote: »
    Not an odd question at all and why wouldn't you expect an answer? That's what this forum is for :D

Never played on a cab but I would assume it was a 4 way gate (as in a square gate).

I assume you mean your execution issues are with the square gate on the TE? If so, yes you may like the octo gate you ordered, will take about a day to adjust to it but it can be reassuring knowing your hitting those sweet spots.

Its all down to personal preference and simple practice in the end. I moved from pad to stick just before the start of the year and it's been a struggle to catch up to what I could do on a pad.

I used a square gate for most of that period, recently got an octo. Found it odd the 1st day. Loved it by the second. Going back to using square gates isnt as much as an issue as I thought and I find I'm now better at general stick motions and fast inputs on both gates, thanks to my time on an octo.

This is just me, some people hate octo gates. Some hate square. I've found the octo has helped me with both. I'll stick with my octo but its not the end of the world using a square.

Thanks for the info.
    Ah i was just thinking its so long ago that nobody would have a clue unless they owned one of the cabinets themselves the lucky..... Also the whole gate thing is very much opinion, maybe unless im missing something :p

Its very hard to explain whats putting me off, it feels like getting forward theres a bit of jiggle on the stick (that sounds really bad).
    Ill have a go off the octo when it arrives :D

As Sisko says, square gates would always be standard on any cab. I'm also an octogate user and as a word of warning, once you go octo its hard to go back! You tend to rely on the "clicking" motions of the octo and when you go back to a square it feels like there's something missing. It will affect your execution on a square gate. This is fine if you have a dual modded stick (like myself and sisko) because you can always use your own stick, but if you're in a tournament and have to borrow someone elses stick for a different system you could find it awkward. Unless you find someone else with an octo :D

Tried dual-modding my VSHG with MC Cthulhu, Imp + Fightpad.

Either one of the 3 PCBs is fvcked, or OSX just doesn't like any of them.

;_;

Aww such a pity. I'll take that piece of junk off your hands so :pac:

@BeansBeans: You'd have to sit Doom or one of the other OG players down with a load of sticks to answer that Q. The only thing he was certain of was that they didn't have bat tops (e.g. weren't US Happ or Italian industrias Lorenza sticks), and were stiffer than Sanwa JLFs used now.
    By my guess, they might have been Sanwa JLWs with balltops, as those sticks mounted in wood cabinets. I'd look it up, but tbh I say play on square-JLF or Seimitsu LS-56 (octo or square) until you like it.
    Aww such a pity. I'll take that piece of junk off your hands so :pac:
    Not a chance, Tezza. She's down but not out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Where can I get custom artwork printed?
    Or can a normal printer print on card stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Doyler01 wrote: »

AFAIK Reads(?) in Dublin do it, Kiki will know better than me but you ask for a laminate A4 print

I went to an office supplies store in my town, asked them to print to a4 and laminate. Worked fine

am I right in thinking that the new Super TE has replacable artwork out of the box? It doesn't require plexi sheets like the first model does it?

This is what I'm wondering too

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Does anyone know how to make my stick a little stiffer??? - insert joke here - :pac:

Seriously though. I've read that u can stretch out the spring or just get a different one. Anyone tried it here???.

am I right in thinking that the new Super TE has replacable artwork out of the box? It doesn't require plexi sheets like the first model does it?

Im pretty sure you need a plexi.

Doyler01 wrote: »

If you dont want to do it yourself the guy advertising in this shoryuken thread does it for about £7 or so. I assume he cuts out the button holes as well. I think hes pretty backlogged though at the moment, im waiting for some plexi and prints from him.

I would just feel safer getting some guy doing it himself, i would foresee and nightmare in reids getting it printed (although i dont think we have reids in cork anymore?) and eh me + razor + paper = bad.

Just a convenient alternative for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

BeansBeans wrote: »
    I think hes pretty backlogged though at the moment, im waiting for some plexi and prints from him.

Prepare for a long wait, I'm waiting 6 weeks on a pair of plexis from him.
    Worth it though.

A-Trak wrote: »
    Prepare for a long wait, I'm waiting 6 weeks on a pair of plexis from him.
    Worth it though.

Oh god, i was thinking about ordering a few more off him. His stuff looks great though, the full front te looks amazing.
    Would it cost a fortune to get stuff off the guy in the US?

Was thinking about getting a cheap hori for my nephew and sticking some seimetsu parts in it, just an excuse for me to mess around with a stick freely really. But weighing up getting custom art or spraying the surface of it. Powder coating also crossed my mind.

• Advertisement

BanjoB wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to make my stick a little stiffer??? - insert joke here - :pac:

Seriously though. I've read that u can stretch out the spring or just get a different one. Anyone tried it here???.

I made my old hori stiffer by adding a seimitsu LS-32 spring. Makes a huge difference. You twist the two springs together (the original and the LS-32 spring) to make a super spring! You can see it done in this vid

I have 2 spare springs too if you want? Or you can buy them separately in any arcade parts shop

Advertisement