Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modded/Custom Sticks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

animaX wrote: »
    I made my old hori stiffer by adding a seimitsu LS-32 spring. Makes a huge difference. You twist the two springs together (the original and the LS-32 spring) to make a super spring! You can see it done in this vid.

I have 2 spare springs too if you want? Or you can buy them separately in any arcade parts shop

Cool Terry. Thanks for that man. Might avail of one of those next tourney if u don't mind. Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dunno what it is about Terry's stick, but I find it is TOO hard -- in menus, if you let go it jumps through neutral; e.g. hold down, release & it hits up.

Prefer Seimitsu LS-56 stock myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Dunno what it is about Terry's stick, but I find it is TOO hard -- in menus, if you let go it jumps through neutral; e.g. hold down, release & it hits up.

Prefer Seimitsu LS-56 stock myself.

Its my old hori I was talking about above, you're talking about my SE with the JLF right? There was no spring mod done to my SE (unless bush did it before me). If anything that JLF is too loose!!

I've never noticed the bounce-back, i don't tend to release the stick so abruptly. I'll be trying out an LS-56 when i get the mounting plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I did everything in that video to my stick except the spring mod. Should I do the spring mod too? Not many have tried out my stick yet as the wire came loose on one of the buttons on saturday so it was out of action. Be interested to know what people think next time.

Sisko wrote: »
    Should I do the spring mod too?

I found that the spring mod in that video was a bit too tight because they used both springs. Maybe just replacing the spring with a seimitsu spring would be a good compromise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Ok I am thinking of picking up a new stick for PS3 and would appreciate some input from you guys. I think my choices at the moment for PS3 are a Madcatz TE (I don't want an SE, hate them), or a HRAP 3, and add sanwa buttons.

In terms of feel and size, I heard both stick are really similar in that area, maybe KiKi could give me his input?

Should I just get a super TE, or will it cost me more?

Looking online it's hard to see what's the best deal for each stick, as I don't know if I'm getting ripped off or whatever. Can you guys tell me what a reasonable price is for a TE/HRAP 3 including shipping, and if you guys got yours online how much it set you back?

I saw a TE on some UK site for like £70, is that good?

I'm a bit confused on the details so any help is really appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

to put it into perspective, I paid €200 when i got my te... and i'm a big fanboy of them now. So yeah that seems like a really good price

Sagat06 wrote: »
    to put it into perspective, I paid €200 when i got my te... and i'm a big fanboy of them now. So yeah that seems like a really good price

Where did you buy yours? Hmm, do they sell them in any stores up in Dublin?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

TE is a one stop shop Ramza. All the parts are sanwa so nothing needs doing out of the box, but if you want to it's all quick disconnect so nice and easy. I'd have no reservations recommending one.

TE is a one stop shop Ramza. All the parts are sanwa so nothing needs doing out of the box, but if you want to it's all quick disconnect so nice and easy. I'd have no reservations recommending one.

Cheers Doomy. However I plan on changing the parts/art on the TE anyways, so regardless of which stick I get I will have to do it anyways (the HRAP 3 comes with a Sanwa stick but stock Hori buttons) :)

Edit : Seems the TE for 70 quid is out of stock, damn, there's always a catch :pac:

Think I will go with the HRAP 3

Btw Doom(or anyone) do you know how much TEs are in shops atmo, I think I read here they are going for 150 at HMV? Isn't that a little much or is that normal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ramza wrote: »
    Cheers Doomy. However I plan on changing the parts/art on the TE anyways, so regardless of which stick I get I will have to do it anyways (the HRAP 3 comes with a Sanwa stick but stock Hori buttons) :)

Edit : Seems the TE for 70 quid is out of stock, damn, there's always a catch :pac:

Think I will go with the HRAP 3

Btw Doom(or anyone) do you know how much TEs are in shops atmo, I think I read here they are going for 150 at HMV? Isn't that a little much or is that normal?

That's way too much for the old "round 1" models like the one I have, I got the doomstick for 150 about a year ago and doomstick x for 100 before WGC a couple of months back.

However I would expect to pay that for the newer round 2 or super models, I guess.

HMV of course may be completely divorced from our reality and are picking up on casual players who aren't checking on the net so don't need to reduce prices to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Ok, I have made my mind up, I am going with the HRAP 3, the TE is pretty much the same but the HRAP felt nicer and I just liked it more (when I used Choppers' HRAP 1 on Sat, I found it to be nicer, even though I know they are identical really)

I found one for a good price, and I think if I get a TE/Super TE, I will pay same price really, so yeah, awesome

Let's hope it ships here :pac:

Madcatz TE seems to be the best value for sticks IMO.
    Comes stock with all-Sanwa and QDs, which some HRAPs don't have.

BUUUUUT as I said on MSN - nothing wrong with buying with your heart.
    Get that HRAP.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Madcatz TE seems to be the best value for sticks IMO.
    Comes stock with all-Sanwa and QDs, which some HRAPs don't have.

BUUUUUT as I said on MSN - nothing wrong with buying with your heart.
    Get that HRAP.

Thanks KiKi, I know the TE comes with all Sanwa but I plan on changing the art and button/balltop color scheme around, so it makes no difference :D

One thing not mentioned yet is that the button layout on the HRAP is different. Its not the vewlix layout that you see on the TE and SE sticks.

Although i think the HRAP has the same layout as the hori you're using now so you're probably used to it.

I'm looking to get myself a TE soon but mainly because its so easy to mod.

Ok, I have made my mind up, I am going with the HRAP 3, the TE is pretty much the same but the HRAP felt nicer and I just liked it more (when I used Choppers' HRAP 1 on Sat, I found it to be nicer, even though I know they are identical really)

I found one for a good price, and I think if I get a TE/Super TE, I will pay same price really, so yeah, awesome

This might be odd but I never really liked playing on choppers or farz's harp stick, however I played on liquid swords (Norn Iron fei long player) and thought it was really good, really really good. Now I dunno what exact harp it was (think it was black with yellow buttons?) but yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭LIFETRAP

Has anyone here gotten all black plexis etched from Art?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Make sure it's either a HRAP 3 SA or a HRAP V3 SA, so then you won't even need to replace the buttons.

There are plenty of dodgy sellers on ebay who will try to pass off the regular HRAP 3 as a HRAP 3 SA. The SA is silver with white buttons like this:
    realarcade3sa.jpg

The regular one looks like this:
    l_hrap3stick.jpg

The brand spanking new, best stick on the market right now V3 SA looks like this:
    file.php?id=20

LIFETRAP wrote: »
    Has anyone here gotten all black plexis etched from Art?

I think a few people from here ordered from Art but probably not etched ones.

• Advertisement

Make sure it's either a HRAP 3 SA or a HRAP V3 SA, so then you won't even need to replace the buttons.

There are plenty of dodgy sellers on ebay who will try to pass off the regular HRAP 3 as a HRAP 3 SA. The SA is silver with white buttons like this:
    realarcade3sa.jpg

The regular one looks like this:
    l_hrap3stick.jpg

The brand spanking new, best stick on the market right now V3 SA looks like this:
    file.php?id=20

Cheers Chopper. Actually, on the sites where I have looked I have not seen the SA anywhere, but I will see if I can get one, but AFAIK it's just been regular HRAP 3s I have seen

Also Chopper I heard the V3 SA is utter garbage? People are saying it's too light or something

On second thoughts, how practical is that beast anyway? It's probably too big/dear for me, although if I can get the money together I would consider getting one for sure.

The finish I was looking for was green buttons/green balltop and vewlix art, since I'm a perfectionist of sorts, even if I got an SA, I would still change the parts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The V3 SA is about the same size as a TE and a little lighter than a regular HRAP, but it's still over 2kg in weight.

The V3 SA is about the same size as a TE and a little lighter than a regular HRAP, but it's still over 2kg in weight.

I'll look into it, it looks nice, thanks for the replies :)

The finish I was looking for was green buttons/green balltop and vewlix art

Time to get a mortgage :P

img_stability_03_360.jpg

You know what, in a moment of madness after I submit my thesis I might just buy one of these! The school of mathematics will effectively be paying for it ;)

They're sold out though :pac:

But they're bringing it to the US now!

Sisko wrote: »
    I'd just like to say Thanks to Terry for all his helpful info and tips and giving me some spare wire he had - and thanks to Jim for selling his broken SE to me. icon14.gif

Because of them I now have an octo-sanwa SE stick that works on PS3 PS2 PS1 360 and PC.

And all with out destroying my PS3 stick which now has a stock stick but sanwa buttons.

Next to make new artwork and paint the new stick. :cool:

And here's the insides just in case anyone's wondering

inside.jpg

The Horror!

Are you kidding me, thats neater than mine! Great job. Can you post this pic in my dual mod thread too?

It is? I wasn't even trying to be neat, once I closed the case the wires were pressed down so I guess that helped. But the big issue really is how unsecured everything is. Those wires can easily be pulled apart but I'll just grab me some of those connection things when I get a chance and that'll make things more secure alright.

This mod was actually surprisingly easy in the end thanks to all your info.

And Terry your welcome to do what you want with that image there, edit into your original post or whatever , use it for any other forums you post that guide in. Photoshop sleeping farz in there, whatever. Work away.

:D

• Advertisement

Oh, for anyone modding and wanting to tidy the insides, I've been traipsing €-stores and found that packs of 100 small cable ties go for €1. Also found that cable management plastic going for €2. That's 1/5th the price of Maplins

Advertisement