Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple AirPort Exptress share internet with Three USB dongle?

Options
  • 29-10-2009 11:10pm

Hi Lads N Lass'

Considering getting a new iMac & getting rod of this powerbook.

Long story short, have a question....

If I get an AirPort Express, then connect to the internet on the iMac
    (Using a Three USB dongle) not an Ethernet cable or anything similar
    Is it possible to share the internet access using the AirPort express to devices such as my iPhone?

Someone said it is possible, someone else said it wasnt, someone else said it was, but with an extra router or something.

Could you let me know what you think....and if it is with the extra router, what one would you recommend ?

Cheers
    Spy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Youll get better answers in the Mac forum: Tech>Operating Systems>Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

If Im being honest, networking is my weak point, but...

The Apple AirPort is very sexy, I can browse my other machines, external backup drive connected to the Airport itself, browse youtube on the tv, stream itunes music/video from my PC thru the TV cinema sound system, all consoles connected with ease, great range, can surf on the laptop/ipod from the bedroom which is about 30 feet from the device with full signal.*

So while I cant answer your specific question, I can say ive numerous non apple devices connected without a problem... WiFi Plug an play all the way :)

*(Other devices may (lol, "may") be required to perform the above operations)

EDIT:
    I just realised I use an extreme, not the express. However, I was just thinking since your internet connection is via a wifi device, you could possibly do a peer to peer connection without an airport

Excellent, can't wait!

Mods, could you move to that forum so I can get a more definitive answer. Cheers

Never mind, added up a new thread in Mac section. Ta

Advertisement