Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam

Options
  • 29-10-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello hello

Some time back i bought half life 2: orange box, had it installed on the steam client so never really had to bother much with the cd's so needless to say, after much neglect, they've disappeared. Anyway this was never really a problem until recently, I've had to wipe pretty much everything on my laptop quite a few times for various reasons so ive lost the steam client and whatever games it had on it.

Is there any way i can download these games again without the discs or will i have to buy it again. I'd imagine i'd need proof of purchase but not too sure, cant find a lot on the subject, cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yes

Download steam

Download your games :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 shaunybhoy

Thanks, much appreciated, karma headed your way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MrMagic1

You can actually go to any pc anywhere in the world and do the same, Your games are tied to Your account, not Your pc

Tip, do it on a friends pc and set the account to offline, then they can play the sp game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

and now with steam cloud you can sync controls between PC's too as they'll be stored on your profile on steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im bemused by this thread :) im sure you must be giddy now having fully realised exactly what steam was all about from the begining.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Steam is brilliant.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Kiith wrote: »
    Steam is brilliant.

/thread
    steam is now brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Might as well hijack this for my own purposes.

My interwebs connection has degraded badly of late, still alright for surfing but downloading even updates off of steam or anywhere else has become a chore. For non-Steam stuff, it's all good, I can go to the interwebs cafe and stick the patches on a flash drive.

Anyway to do this for Steam that doesn't involve me hauling my entire case into town? I want my E:TW :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

When you say you're interwebs has degraded do you mean you've moved to a poorer service or your current provider had gotten ****?
    Run a Speedtest and see how fast it is.
    Perhaps you just need to change your location in Steam.
    (In Steam go to File>Settings>Downloads and change the download region)

One option is to install steam on a friends PC. Download the content there. Copy the Steamapps folder, bring it home and add the contents to your PC's steamapps folder and restart steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Nevore wrote: »
    Anyway to do this for Steam that doesn't involve me hauling my entire case into town?

There's a way to back up the game content to a file, which you can probably then burn to DVD or copy to a USB drive in an intertron cafe and restore on your home PC.

If just copying the steamapps dir works as mentioned above, this would probably be quicker though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It does but It doesn't include your save games I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

5uspect wrote: »
    It does but It doesn't include your save games I think.

Are Your saves and settings not saved online with Steam Cloud, or is this just with games thet support it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You can find your save games easily enough. Some are saved in the game's own directory, some end up in My documents.

It's my current provider turned to shite. 3 Mobile, was great when it first came out, was able to play WoW, EVE, TF2 with zero ping problems. Now it's absolute murder.

I'll try the interwebs cafe/ copy game directory thing tomorrow, see if it works.

Apparently I was set to dl from UK, I've changed that to Ireland and see if that helps at all.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Are Your saves and settings not saved online with Steam Cloud, or is this just with games thet support it
    Nope. The closest thing you have are newer games which use the cloud to save your control preferences.

It's my current provider turned to shite. 3 Mobile, was great when it first came out, was able to play WoW, EVE, TF2 with zero ping problems. Now it's absolute murder.

I'll try the interwebs cafe/ copy game directory thing tomorrow, see if it works.

Apparently I was set to dl from UK, I've changed that to Ireland and see if that helps at all.

Thanks all.

FYI this could make things works changing to Ireland.

O2 route through UK so I can play TF2 better on UK servers than Irish ones.

Mobile BB isn't really suitable for gaming though. Playing TF2 on mobile BB was a pain compared to my fixed wireless connection where I live.

Its better than nothing but I couldn't do it all the time or I'd go mental. You wouldn't want to be in a competitive team with mobile bb.

thebman wrote: »
    Mobile BB isn't really suitable for gaming though. Playing TF2 on mobile BB was a pain compared to my fixed wireless connection where I live.
    Its better than nothing but I couldn't do it all the time or I'd go mental. You wouldn't want to be in a competitive team with mobile bb.
    When it first came out, 2-3 years ago now? it was pretty damn good, 50ms latency in WoW.

When it first came out, 2-3 years ago now? it was pretty damn good, 50ms latency in WoW.

You must be right beside the mast to get those speeds. On O2 in a non-busy sector, with the mast about 200 metres down the road, I was getting 100-150ms ping times with speedtests showing almost 2Mb down and 1Mb upload.

thebman wrote: »
    You must be right beside the mast to get those speeds. On O2 in a non-busy sector, with the mast about 200 metres down the road, I was getting 100-150ms ping times with speedtests showing almost 2Mb down and 1Mb upload.
    Dunno, I don't get them anymore. Last time I bothered to log into WoW from home I got about 500ms, spiking up to 1000ms.

Advertisement