Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

easy recipe for a duck breast

Options
  • 29-10-2009 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

I have just bought 2 barbarie duck breasts in Lidl. They are frozen. Does anyone know of easy ways to cook them and to make a nice sauce for them. Has anyone tried them are they nice? I see they have pheasant and goose also. If I can manage the duck I may try the goose. What type of sauce goes best with the duck is there a readymade one that would be good or could I make a fruity one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

I like this plum sauce with duck. I think it would be great with pheasant or goose also. It keeps for a while in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

i have had duck with freshly made plum sauce twice in the recent past and love it. serve simply with boiled potatoes and salad.

you will get a recipe for the plum sauce on the net. make sure when buying the plums to buy the dark red ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

sorry, i forgot to tell you how to cook them. defrost them, sear the skin side in a very hot frying pan, turn over for about a minute, and finish off in the oven set at around 180 for approx 10 minutes depending on the size of the duck breast. i think there are timings on the wrapper of those duck breasts in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dobh wrote: »
    sorry, i forgot to tell you how to cook them. defrost them, sear the skin side in a very hot frying pan, turn over for about a minute, and finish off in the oven set at around 180 for approx 10 minutes depending on the size of the duck breast. i think there are timings on the wrapper of those duck breasts in Lidl.

I agree but you MUST MUST MUST let them rest in a warm place for at least 10 minute.
    Skip this part if you like duck flavoured shoe leather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

just a little tip for you guys instead of cooking the duck in a reallly hot pan, start the duck off in a cold pan, without oil and allow it to come up to tempature, this will release the fat slowly allowing a crisper skin, then turn it over and seal it and put it in the oven, 180 for 5-8 mins, allow it to rest for as long as possible, usually as long as you have given it in the oven

a great simple recipe it to score the duck, season with salt(brings out the moisture) and chinese five spice, once you have cooked the duck add the juice of 2/3 oranges to the pain, with some thyme, 2 star anise(continues the flavour of the chinese spices) a teaspooon of brown sugar, and a little dark chicken stock(or bisto), let it reduce till its thickened, serve this with some nice salad ie rocket, mache, watercress(would be the best) the segements of oranges that you used for the juice, bacon lardons, and thin slices of radish or japanese mooli.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

score the fat rub salt in to the fat then sear booth sid e200 oven for 8 mins jobs a goodin add hoisin sauce cause i love it more :D noodles wok veg and serve.

Advertisement