Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day Transport

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 laurenjack

Thanks for replies and advice. I have no choice but to work, I am not the only person in the organisation working that day so can't complain too much!I don't drive, I don't have acar so my options are a fixed rate taxi or a friendly fellow corkonian driving down home that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Might be a good thread here, people looking for lifts on Christmas Day. You could share petrol expenses. I'll be travelling from her folks place near Kilkenny city to my folks place in Wexford Town early-ish on Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Taxi fare to Cork would be €500 plus (see here). Finding someone else doing the same journey might be the easiest option (at lease financially).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its it practical for them to come to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

500 to cork in a cab? Not in my taxi it wouldn't be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

blahblah06 wrote: »
    500 to cork in a cab? Not in my taxi it wouldn't be.

Of course not. It would be €500 less 25%:D

well actually it would be more than 500 as it goes straight onto the highest tariff on crimbo day. with the day thats in it id do it for 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

blahblah06 wrote: »
    well actually it would be more than 500 as it goes straight onto the highest tariff on crimbo day. with the day thats in it id do it for 300.

Why on earth would you go to Cork on Christmas Day for €300 ?? Surely you'd make more than that in the same space of time doing local jobs in Dublin.

Never worked Christmas Day or Christmas Eve myself but recall a certain airline paying £400 to Cork and £500 to Kerry on Christmas Day back in '99.

because id rather do one straight forward job in a day and gain a new customer along with 200 plus for the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Never worked Christmas Day or Christmas Eve myself but recall a certain airline paying £400 to Cork and £500 to Kerry on Christmas Day back in '99.

Even factoring in inflation, £400 equivalent now wouldn't be justified for a trip to Cork - in 1999 it was a horrific journey to make compared to being motorway/dualler all the way bar the 30km gap now. There was bypasses of Naas, Newbridge, Portlaoise, Cahir and Glanmire in 1999, thats it.

That the meter fare would be less than €508 inflation adjusted shows this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I worked one Christmas day, 2005 and for my six hours on the road, I came out with €177 and more stress and hassle than it was worth. I had one fare who only told me after getting her to her destination that she didn't want to go there and sent me to another part of town without even knowing where she was off to, a pick up at a hospital who told me to wait for three hours until they finished work and on dropping off my last fare I was called every name under the sun from a staff member of a state office who was convinced I was bringing him home; I actually wasn't meant to and after his rant I wouldn't have. After that day, I said never again bar the odd neighbour who wanted to get to church or a family dinner as it just wasn't worth the hassle I got for that one day. While I appreciate that we are serving people who work and it's a working day to many people, the spirit of the day sure was lost on some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm kinda in the same boat here, I'm trying to figure out a way to get from dublin to wexford on Xmas day, been quoted some ridiculous prices so far.

So if anyone knows anyone travelling, please let me know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

laurenjack wrote: »
    Hi, I just found out that I have to work a night shift on Christmas Eve in Dublin so I won't be finished work til 12 noon xmas day :mad: . I want to get home to Cork on Christmas day at some stage, sooo, this is probably a stupid question but does anyone know of a public or private transport service that operates on Christmas Day? Any help is greatly appreciated:o
    so how did you get on in the end,just out of curiosity?

Advertisement