Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF EX games - why do people hate it?

• 29-10-2009 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hey lads. As the subject says, why do people dislike the EX games? I don't really see the huge problem with it. I know you can super cancel a super and then super cancel that super but its a lot of fun :)

I wouldn't rate them as the best SF games but they're certainly not ****e.

I recently got into EX3. I've been playing it for about a month now and seems quite good to me. That said, my judgement may be a bit off as its the first game which I got for my PS2 (which I won at a Gran Turismo competition! WOHOO! :D) so the hype of having it probably made me think that its a really good game :).

But after playing it for a month now, it doesn't seem too bad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Controls
    • Looks like pants
    • Shoddy 50Hz PAL
    • Nowhere near as good as SFA/SFIII series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I don't like the series. They're just horrible, ugly and blocky. And ughh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

because most people havenbt a ****ing scooby what they are talking about.
    Street Fighter IV is Street Fighter EX IV, deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Controversial. alas I've nowt to prove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

RopeDrink wrote: »

Going by the garbage you spew up on these forums it seems you're the only one with a problem, here

Oi relax the cacks.

because most people havenbt a ****ing scooby what they are talking about.
    Street Fighter IV is Street Fighter EX IV, deal with it.

G'way outta that kneecaps, you sound like one of those people from SRK before the SFIV even came out. You know well IV is nothing like EX, so shup u!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lads, we're all friends here. (Well, except for Terry, obviously)

Don't veer into personal attacks, sil vous plait.

Its seems I'm the only ex 3rd striker here who likes SFIV, ramza said he's not into it, Placebos playing it but he doesn't seem too happy with it and kneecaps here mains Vega so naturally he's furious :p

Hopefully SSFIV will bring yeas around. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

They're not true SF games and were made by a different company. They're not as crappy as everyone seems to be making out though.The music in the first EX game was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

This threads gold, LOLs all around - i love SF IV now, my chun li is evolving, soon il be the new BUSH, better believe it kids.

anyway SF ex series

Capcom didnt even make it for one.
    SLOW/CHUNKY
    You can count the polygons on each character
    3D plane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I'm surprised chopper hasn't responded yet, he will have a lot to say!

Although, I was always sceptical of the EX games I recently downloaded EX+alpha and put it on my psp for a boring bus journey and to my surprise I actually enjoyed it! Of course you have to get over the blocky graphics but the fundamentals of street fighter are underneath and super super cancelling is cool!

Also, this game contains the greatest Akuma teleport ever (3 dimensional movement:pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

In terms of graphics, you can't compare it to other games. The only 3D game that came out at around the same time as EX2 that was ahead of its time was Tekken 3 but if you looked at Mortal Kombat 4, it wasn't much different from the EX games. Its like saying the Ferrari 330 P4 is crap because the Enzo and Carrera GT are much better. For those who don't know it, it was the first proper Ferrari supercar as it had considerably more power than its sisters at the time.

For me, the coolest character of the EX series has to be Kairi. I love the super where he jumps up and does a series of punches and then slams them to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    ramza said he's not into it

I am into it, just not a big fan of it is all. I'm fairly confident in my skill level at SFIV

ooooooooo00000000000ooooo well you gotta show up to the meets sometime and show us whos boss so. Who'd yea main again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Someone said SF4 is SFEX4, After discussing this with a top pro when sf4 was released, i have to say you're right, to a point.

SF4 characters are built from thier characters in other SF games, including the EX series. Don't even try to argue this either, this guy is playing sf 16 years+.

I think what he said was something like Ken was built as a hybrid of Alpha+SF3-2gen
    Chun was ST built.
    Viper was based off a character from EX2
    Sakura i guessed this myself was built off Alpha 3
    Guile was basic pure SF2.

Only Zangief & Sagat were !00% brand new overhauls, i remember that much.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Xinkai wrote:
    SF4 characters are built from thier characters in other SF games, including the EX series. Don't even try to argue this either, this guy is playing sf 16 years+.

It doesn't take 16 years to figure that out, most people would see that in about 16 minutes. However many people are not too familiar with the EX series so if there a character in SF IV inspired by an EX character it would be less well known. But for the recurring cast its mostly obvious where the move sets for each character came from, usually a combination of a few different games.

I don't see how Gief and Sagat are 100% overhauls, their move set and play style is still very similar to the ST versions of the characters.

However to call SF IV, SF IV EX seems to be a massive stretch, maybe 1 or 2 characters are inspired from the EX series and both games have 3D characters, but do the game play anything alike otherwise?

Xinkai wrote: »
    Someone said SF4 is SFEX4, After discussing this with a top pro when sf4 was released, i have to say you're right, to a point.

I think what he said was something like Ken was built as a hybrid of Alpha+SF3-2gen
    Chun was ST built.
    Viper was based off a character from EX2
    Sakura i guessed this myself was built off Alpha 3
    Guile was basic pure SF2.

Only Zangief & Sagat were !00% brand new overhauls, i remember that much.

It's good practice when making a statement like "you can't argue with this" in a forum to provide proof by links or some such or to be honest people will discard it.

In internet terms, "Pics or GTFO".

Also, I've been playing Street Fighter since SF1, I don't think that makes my opinion any more valid than anyone elses.

Guile's move set is based pretty much around Charlies from Alpha, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I don't need to provide proof the guy has an account he came on here to give advice before and someone told him that he was wrong basically.

Also Azza, about the 16 minutes thing, your right, he did figure it out in 16 minutes lol.

I don't need to provide proof the guy has an account he came on here to give advice before and someone told him that he was wrong basically.

Also Azza, about the 16 minutes thing, your right, he did figure it out in 16 minutes lol.

Uh, yeah you do.

I saw a post yesterday from a guy who said that Streetfighter 4 was built in the Mortal Kombat engine and he said he was playing streetfighter for 20 years so theres no point in arguing because I say he's right and this is true.

See my point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

In b4 flamewar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Tiger Insult!

• Advertisement

It's not an insult. I'm actually helping the dude by explaining why you shouldn't be posting in absolutes. is all.

After discussing this with a top pro

. Don't even try to argue this either, this guy is playing sf 16 years+.

So eh.. whats this guys name huh? Cause I was like talkin to daigo there the other day, and he was all "F*ck that shlt yo! Muthafukin EX is as close to any other muthafukin street fighter as it is to street fighter 4 aaaiiiiiight? I'm out this bltch.. PEACE" and then he FADCed me into an ultra and went on his way.

I love the way you avoid the censorship with wrong spelling :pac:

I remember talking with blag about SFIV and he brought up a point that SFIV is too turtle friendly. which I'm sure its obvious to most of the pros here but I didn't really think of it myself much until he said it and I found that he hit the nail on the head. Rushdown players are almost completely shut down compared to turtles.

Generally, I don't like to boast but I have fairly brutal rushdown game when playing SSF2T or 3S but it falls apart for some reason in SFIV. The only character where I feel I can apply some Rushdown is Ryu.

This point is proved even further in top tournament matches like Daigo VS. Justin. They play mid to long distance fighting and basically just wait for an opening from the other guy and then go in for a combo but there is none of this, dash in, high, low, overhead attacks, throw style play.

The EX games allow for rushdown so I'd disagree with it being defined as SFEX4. To think that 3S was a near perfect SF with the exception of bad character balancing, its strange to see the standard drop so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

3S is nowhere near the perfect SF game and is almost completely unlike what I'd consider classic SF gameplay. It's still a great game though.

Ah come on Dreddy, Hugo is like Gief :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah, too bad I'm crap with him and play Remy in 3S. :pac: Nah I just mean in terms of the completely missing zoning aspect and completely different wakeup/general defense game due to parries - I don't consider it a great fighter in terms of what I consider to be SF principles, but I do think it's a great fighter in general terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Don't even try to argue this either, this guy is playing sf 16 years+.

Awesome.
    I've been playing Streetfighter for 20+ years.
    This allows to make statements that can't be argued with.

Therefore I proclaim:
      Airthrows are hacks. Guile is super over powered top-tier Terry is scum

That is all.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Yeah, too bad I'm crap with him and play Remy in 3S. :pac: Nah I just mean in terms of the completely missing zoning aspect and completely different wakeup/general defense game due to parries - I don't consider it a great fighter in terms of what I consider to be SF principles, but I do think it's a great fighter in general terms.

I dunno dude. Rumour going round that a guy who's never played 3rd Strike before got to the final of the Lanparty competition with Remy. Some Guile player, if memory serves.
    A-Trak wrote: »
    Awesome.
    I've been playing Streetfighter for 20+ years.
    This allows to make statements that can't be argued with.

Therefore I proclaim:
      Airthrows are hacks. Guile is super over powered top-tier Terry is scum

That is all.

What can I say, I am a top tier whore.

• Advertisement

@ A-trak: I see that bitterness has increased slightly since the rathfarnham rampage :D

Advertisement