Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reading levels in primary school

• 30-10-2009 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I was curious if anyone could tell me what the reading levels or grades are in primary school are; are they age or classed matched? As in, are reading levels graded according to the child's age or class they are in in primary school?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

it depends on the test used to measure, the Drumcondra test is class based, ie compared to all other children say in 4th class. The Micra-t can be marked to either class based or age based norms. This can distort a little bit, eg younger children in the class group may get a higher end score than older children in the same class, if age based norms are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Farolina81

If this is a question related to a specific test result that you've received for your child, I would check this out with the teacher. The school may have taken a decision to give parents a particular type of grading so that they are receiving the same information from all teachers as the child progresses through the school.

Advertisement