Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phd Queries

Options
  • 30-10-2009 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Can people give me an example of how they funded their Phds?

Just wondering is there any help available from County Councils? I was never on a grant from them for undergraduate but I would be paying for this myself.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Mine is paid for by SFI, my supervisor had the grant before I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

You can apply for a local authority grant as a mature student if you were aged 23 or above in jan of this year...otherwise you'll be classed as a dependant and therefore subject to means testing based on your parent income.

If you are a mature student (assuming you are not married) I'm sure you'll qualify for a local authority grant once your income from 2008 tax year was less than €35000 approx (could be more I'm not sure). Also if you qualify for full grant you will also qualify for full fees which means that your council will pay up to €6200 per annum approx (again double check) for up to 4 years of postgraduate education.

Now I'm sure you can only claim for a max of 4 years funding, grant or otherwise, for postgraduate education. So if you have done a 1 year MSc for example a few years back, that counts as 1 years funding so you will only have up to 3 years left regardless of how long your PhD takes. PhD must also be full time and a progression from your previous qualification (but I doubt that this is PhD number 2!)

Ok and I've just noticed you've stated you've never had a grant before so ignore the above. That means you're entitled to 4 years funding subject to income etc.

Also there are grants from other agencies but these will impact on your HEA grant. I think you can receive up to €16,000 in other grants per year and still qualify for a higher education grant.

Thats all I know from my own personal experience! Hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Fragglefur

I got an IRCHSS and a scholarship from my university which funded me for three years, but for most of the funding you need to be already accepted onto a PhD or integrated Masters/ PhD programme and have a supervisor lined up who will write references for you.

Though most people I know who did PhDs also had a job or two (or three) on the side, despite having funding

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AMCD82

Internal funding opportunities will be cut now both in numbers and amount of finance. In addition, part time tutoring or lecturing hours are also likely to be down so it will be more difficult to fund phds unless you receive external funding or are part of an externally funded project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Computerfd

I am a bit confused. I am over 23, yes. I still live at home though. Do I still qualify?

• Advertisement

Anybody?!!

Oh well that changes it a little. If U still live at home and are in full time education u are still considered dependent child as far as I know. I think u need to be loving away from home from the October or November prior to applying for the grant. So if ur thinking of goig back that's something u need to consider.

There are ways around this, if u have friends who are home owners I'd suggest u rent a room, even if u don't live there but just so it's technically not lying, I'd rent it for 20e a month and then submit the rent book which ur friend will fill out. Technically your rent is none of their business so u pay 10 x €20 bills and end up with over €10000 in financial support. It's not fraud, it's being crafty!

So basically because I am living at home, I am entitled to nothing at all?

Great, so Dunnes Stores here I come

Yeah I have to say the system is fantastic for those tha qualify, like myself, but it has some strange rules! I've not lived at home for 7 years and still I'm classed as dependent as When I went back for my masters I was 22, now I'm 24 on phd but as I've not left education since I was approved as dependent I stay As such until I'm finished at age 27, crazy, but it's to my benefit so I shalln't complain!

Advertisement