Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chimney Closures

• 30-10-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭

I am hoping to have an open fire within my house (mainly for decorative purposes).

Can anyone recommend a Chimney Closure system? Do they actually work and which types are better (dampers installed at the base of the flue or thse installed at the pot level?)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Google search chimneydraughtstop.

Disclosure - I know the guy who has invented this, was telling me about it in the pub last weekend. No idea how well it works so do your own research. He said they have some link with SEI but no details sorry.

Its 250 euro.

Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Conman1

Ninjabob, I would use a pipebung which you can get from most hardware suppliers for various pipe diameters - 9inch probably the right one for a chimney flue??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 taxman

As it is new-build, you could specify a fireplace with a traditional flap-plate that closes the flue just over the fireplace. It is part of the surround, but you dont really see it from the room.
    You will not be allowed to claim it is a flue (as opposed to chimney) for BER credit, as it is not adjustable or a restrictor.
    However, your chimney is as good as closed for the (many?) days that you dont have a fire lit.

Certainly cleaner than a chimney balloon or making a 9" pipe bung fit into an 8" flue :)

Advertisement